Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Optimizing (Downgrading) aircraft/cockpit graphics  Topic is solved

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Optimizing (Downgrading) aircraft/cockpit graphics

Postby danilo159 » Mon May 31, 2021 12:09 am

Hi,

I own an old computer and I prefer to simulate fully functional models but with lower quality cockpits/externals. That is due to my old PC.
My PC can run smoothly the B707 and the C172p, but not the B777 or Extra500. I used to simulate in the P51, but after I changed from Win7 to Ubuntu the new P51 looks more detailed and I can't keep a satisfactory frame rate anymore.
I have some introductory experience in scripting for college but I haven't ever tried 3D modelling or scripting for Flightgear.

My question is:
If I learn all the necessary for changing models, etc., could I "downgrade" the graphics of some planes so they could run in my PC?
danilo159

Callsign: PR-BKJ
Version: 2020.1.1

Re: Optimizing (Downgrading) aircraft/cockpit graphics  

Postby Hooray » Mon May 31, 2021 3:25 am

well, complexity of artwork (3D models, textures) can be procedurally decreased (osg optimizer), but many aircraft are "complex" in the sense that they add a lot of Nasal scripts, FDM systems or Canvas stuff that needs to be recomputed/updated fairly frequently. So there's that, too.

While it's possible to manually optimize things to a fair degree (see Richard's work/comments), that requires a ton of experience and you'd basically require years of experience understanding FlightGear/SimGear internals. It's probably much easier to optimize the core side of things than each aircraft individually, at which point you'll want to know C++ and how to patch/rebuild FlightGear.

You can basically see for yourself what can be gained from optimizing the artwork by disabling it entirely (via draw masks) or replacing the corresponding models/textures. Sooner or later, you'll realize that stuff like Nasal scripting and the Canvas are the main performance suckers. Also, it doesn't help that FlightGear still lacks building blocks to neatly structure/organize aircraft systems properly - again, this is something where Richard's groundwork can certainly help, but adopting that basically requires a background in software engineering or years of experience contributing to FlightGear.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Return to Aircraft