Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Opensource Aircraft design /test simulator

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Opensource Aircraft design /test simulator

Postby YoukimKudoh » Thu May 13, 2021 6:27 am

Hi Members,

I recently have started studying aerospace come up with a conceptual design of an aircraft, I am sure it’s not a realistic one but I would like to test it in a simulator, is there a way to test it using a software based simulator? If yes Could anyone recommend me a freeware aircraft design simulator for beginners?
Last edited by Johan G on Thu May 13, 2021 1:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Spam links removed after original poster was banned. Kept as replies seem meaningful.
YoukimKudoh

Re: Opensource Aircraft design /test simulator

Postby erik » Thu May 13, 2021 8:10 am

I've heard good stories about OpenVSP but I have never used it myself.

Erik
Current: Parachutist, Paraglider, Pterosaur, Pilatus PC-9M and variants, ERCO Ercoupe, Fokker Dr.1, Fokker 50, Fokker 100
Less active: Cessna T-37, T-38, Santa Claus. Previous: General Dynamics F-16. Worked on: Wright Flyer
erik

Postby Ysop » Thu May 13, 2021 9:54 am

Good luck with your studies!

Yes, OpenVSP has been designed exactly for producing coefficients for conceptual aircrafts. With these coefficients a flight dynamic model in flightgear can be produced. There is no direct link, but not that hard to do by using examples. And you will learn a lot along the way.
It gives however not a complete solution, but a good starting point.
Ysop

Version: 2020.3.18

Postby wkitty42 » Thu May 13, 2021 1:16 pm

the original posted of this topic is a spammer/scammer... they've edited their message and added hidden links to the end of it... do not click on them! they may lead to malware/ransomware...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Return to Aircraft