Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

FG Spain Autogiro Hornet public alpha release

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

FG Spain Autogiro Hornet public alpha release

Postby Odeliuus » Sat May 08, 2021 7:13 am

[FG Spain] Autogiro Hornet Public Alpha Release:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1U2J5cdbrPZBKz23q1eQ_1YXFTLiWEl1z?usp=sharing
This is the Autogiro Hornet already present in FlightGear, with some modifications to make it more enjoyable while flying. It might not be true to the original model, but it does fly great imo (at least better than the original one). Release notes:
1. Changed the old 32hp engine for an all new Rotax 982 engine. The new engine has 64hp, and reaches maximum power at 300 rpm less.
2. Changed the main rotor in the FDM for a slightly bigger one, according to autogiro specifications and regulations (37cm bigger)
3. New liveries added (still WIP. Help accepted)
To do:
Finish some bits in the liveries, implement effects: negative G, overspeed (right now you can fly up to 160 kn which is not realistic for an autogiro but cruise speed is 102knots (that is ok imo), continue evolving the FDM and eventually make a new (and correct) texture mapping of the 3D model.
Disclaimer: this is my first release ever, mistakes are expected, I tried to do my best at respecting the original authours work. I didn't remove anyone from the author credits, I just also included myself the last specifying what I did. I hope that is correct, lawful and everyone is happy with that. Enjoy and let me know!!

Last edited by Odeliuus on Sun May 09, 2021 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Odeliuus

Re: FG Spain Autogiro Hornet public alpha release

Postby Odeliuus » Sun May 09, 2021 9:06 am

After releasing the first version of the giro, a few issues were pointed to me:

1. Stick responsiveness was not good. The gyrocopter felt way to heavy to pitch: Corrected.
2. Wonky landing gear: it was not possible to do tight turns on the ground, making it virtually impossible to taxi correctly. This is corrected.
3. Sounds are trash, there's no change in the sound with the change of engine rpm. Pending, help welcome
4. It did stall (gyrocopters just don't stall).Corrected but needs more testing, dead stick landings seem to be possible now.
[s]5. No trims. Unsure about how to implement trims[/s]
6. Speed control unstable (that's alpha tester words.. I would say it did not accelerate and deccelerate properly) Corrected.
7. Lateral instability (specially on landings).90% corrected.
8. Rotor external animation issues in replay. Teaching help welcome.
9. Pilot not enough animated (I need to try this.. I think it's correct but I need to look more at it.) Teaching help is welcome.
10. Nasal help needed! I would like to implement a pre-rotator and instead of keeping the n key pressed, just press it one time to pre rotate on ground prior take off (toggle instead of holding the key). Yesterday I was 3 hours digging into this, and I think I found the script that controls what the n key does, but I have no clue about Nasal and it really, really, really seems confusing. I cannot understand the wiki. I tried searching the forums, maybe I didn't search well I don't know but I couldn't find a solution.

Many thanks to:
    mr_no for creating the original bird in FG, and creating the JT-5B autogyro in FG. I inherited some parameters from the JT-5B, although the Hornet is a bit different
    StuartC for never loosing his patience when I keep asking questions all over the weekend. 8)
    My friend Murat, an expert simulation pilot for testing, test videos, and not sugarcoating anything. That is the only way to move forward.

All of these 3 people have been crucial for me to start with my first FDM in FlightGear and not get discouraged at all when things don't go right.
Last edited by Odeliuus on Wed May 12, 2021 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Odeliuus

Postby Odeliuus » Wed May 12, 2021 6:02 pm

Alpha Update 0.1.2

Release notes:

FDM huge update: speeds, acceleration, landing gear friction and angles of turn, now it behaves a lot better. Results have been compared with payware gyrocopters for commercial sims and it does a great job according to test pilot.
    Liveries: modified some bits in the liveries present in alpha release
    Gauges update: needle animations updated, textures updated to match more real speeds and fuel consumption. Altimeter still needs love.
    Customized sounds: now it sounds more like a gyrocopter. Main rotor needs volume tweaking yet.
    Nasal updated, taken from the JT-5B (because it looks like it's far from my knowledge by now. I'm studying it. Taken the gyro.nas file, which contains the negative G, too much G load and VNE Exceeded warnings
    Splash image updated with a screenshot taken flying over LOWI with the new Black livery
    Basic electric system
    Checklist preflight to takeoff added, only displayed as tutorial by now but it's there.

The person helping me test the gyrocopter is also making an all new 3D model, including new gauges on the left side. The future is bright for this gyrocopter in FlightGear.. we are very passionate about taking this model to new heights. By now, you can practice autorotations or slope soaring on good wind :mrgreen:

Link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1S5jb8zl2clBsOfPjR97KYHOv_8jxAOL6?usp=sharing
Odeliuus

Postby merspieler » Fri May 14, 2021 12:17 pm

I've tried it... but couldn't get it started, following the help menu... is there anything not mentioned in it I need to do?

I'd recommend you to create a repository on GitLab or github for it so interested users can easier follow the development, update their copy way simpler and contribure to the project.

Anyway, keep your enthusiasm up.
Nia (you&, she/her)

Please use gender neutral terms when referring to a group of people!

Be the change you wish to see in the world, be an ally to all!

Join the official matrix space
merspieler

Pronouns: you&, she/her
Callsign: you&, she/her
IRC name: merspieler
Version: next

Postby Odeliuus » Sun May 16, 2021 3:57 pm

To start pre rotating the rotor, you need to press the n key.
To start the propeller engine in the back, you need to press the s key.

Be careful that Mayus is not enabled. It works just fine.
Odeliuus

Postby Odeliuus » Wed May 19, 2021 12:23 am

New Hornet Autogyro release directly from the oven. Many updates and corrections.Thanks to Toaster and D-ECHO
0.1.9 Release notes:
-Manual start only!! Read below!
-Instruments: Full working Garmin196, adjusted speed gauge, added VSI, added rotor rpm gauge, added custom hud.
FDM: Pre-rotator corrected (yes, again!) Now reviewed by 3 different people to make sure it works exactly as intended. It does!
Liveries: Some new bits in the default blue livery.
¡Important!-->Put fuel before flight. Read the in-sim help or you'll not even start the engines. It's not planned to make an autostart available at any point, unless someone takes over the development regarding that aspect. The plan is to continue making the start process more realistic, not to dumb down the autogyro.

Download from Git: https://github.com/aquinonero1/Hornet
Odeliuus

Return to Aircraft