Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

McDonnell Douglas MD-80 Development

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: McDonnell Douglas MD-80 Development

Postby fatty » Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:04 pm

I've been excited to try this out, just got a chance. It's so fun and engaging to hand fly, you've done an awesome job simulating the behavior of the control tabs.
fatty

Postby Octal450 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:34 pm

Thanks for the feedback!

better than the grey and yellow with white on grey text.... :mrgreen:

I have a few more tab effects to simulate.

Kind Regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411
Version: next

Postby awen » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:08 pm

Hi!
Thank you so much for bringing this beautiful plane to FG and I am already enjoying it. However, I have a pretty dumb question about the AP. Why would it connect some time but refuse to do so at other times? I always try to connect it at some altitude and keep the plane as level as possible, but still, it would not connect. Is this related to the yoke position? I guess it is necessary to centralize control before engaging AP in a plane like this, but how could I make sure everything is neutral? Thanks again!
awen

Version: 2020.4.0

Postby Octal450 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:20 pm

Hi Awen:
Yes - ALWAYS centralize flight director (if on), neutralize the controls and trim the elevators before engaging the AP.

Glad you are enjoying so far. I've not had any FG time the last week but there will be more later.

Kind Regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:01 am

DGFS updates:
- AUTO LAND can now be armed as soon as LOC capture
- Improved logic for switchined between AP 1 and 2

Kind Regards,
Josh
Last edited by Octal450 on Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Octal450

Postby Johan G » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:53 pm

Some post were split off to the new topic TrackIR headtracking compatibility.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby The epic chicken » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:23 pm

Octal450 wrote in Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:01 am:DGFS updates:
- AUTO LAND can no be armed as soon as LOC capture
- Improved logic for switchined between AP 1 and 2

Kind Regards,
Josh

so when can it be
In Thrust We Trust
The epic chicken

Callsign: cva1920
Version: 2020.3.9

Postby Octal450 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:55 pm

Meant, "now be armed". Recheck

Kind Regards,
Josh

Octal450

Postby fatty » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:39 pm

Quick question - is there any way to get the EHSI to display NAV2? I see the switch in the overhead but it's not mapped to anything; I'm guessing it's not implemented yet?
fatty

Postby Octal450 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:52 pm

Not implemented yet and the default Canvas Nav Display does not yet support it. I'll make a custom one at some point.

Kind Regards,
Josh

Octal450

Postby fatty » Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:23 am

No problem! It's easy enough to work around by switching around the frequencies. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Thanks again for all your work on this model, it makes me smile every time I fly it.
fatty

Postby Octal450 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:43 pm

Glad to hear that! More will come soon, I Just haven't had alot of FG time the last month unfortunately.

Kind Regards,
Josh

Octal450

Postby turkish_aviator » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:48 pm

I am starting to think something paranormal are happening to me. Lately i was thinking "i wish dear Josh could make Mad Dog with his great work" and today i noticed that topic :D

Very nice work Josh! In Turkish we say "God bless your hands!" :)
turkish_aviator

Version: Latest

Postby turkish_aviator » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:31 pm

Well, i failed to operate the autopiot properly. What should i do to autopilot follow the MCP selected speed, LNAV and Vert. Speed? Should i change the EPR limit selector? And when i am in V/S mode, will the autopilot stop climbing at the altitude that i selected?

Last question, is the manual start possible? I was doing it on the MD-88 model on the github that very similar this one, but that time, i failed to start the APU.
turkish_aviator

Version: Latest

Postby Octal450 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:42 am

Hi,
Please check this video for a P3D product, I matched the operation of the real world system fairly accurately - as did Leonardo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJAyLiDE7xU

Biggest thing to note is that the autothrottle and autopilot are NOT coupled. They "inform" each other what they are doing and that's it.

For example, the IAS/MACH pitch mode does not use the autothrottle speed knob, it uses the speed selection which will appear in the Vertical speed window, S for speed, M for mach.

Here's some basic write-up I did for another pilot,
The MD-80 does not have a smart climb thrust/idle clamp mode for climbs/descends like the MD-11. The MD-80, pulling the alt knob, simply arms altitude. You need to use another pitch mode to climb/descend. Commonly used is the "IAS/MACH" pitch mode. (not the buttons near the autothrottle controls, this button is near the VERT SPEED and ALT HLD buttons). This uses the aircrafts pitch to keep airspeed. You'll notice on engaging that the autothrust goes into "CLMP" which means its pilot controlled. So, you push IAS/MACH (a second push switches between the 2), and you'll see the current speed pop up where the vertical speed readout is (or in the dedicated area of the dialog). That is the speed target for this mode, keep in mind its not linked to the autothrottle speed/mach mode. Then, in a climb, you push EPR LIM which will set the power to the thrust limit (CL usually) and the aircraft will pitch up to keep the set speed. For descents, simply pull the power levers to near idle (about 0.9-1.0 EPR is used usually) and the aircraft will pitch down to keep the set speed. There is no automatic throttle retard like the MD-11 has, except for landing. Please let me know if you need a video demo of how to use this.

At least 1000ft above the runway, you may accelerate. Usually this is done in the IAS/MACH mode from above. If you are in the TAK OFF MODE (which you should be, if not, push the TO/GA buttons before taking off!), you climb at V2+10 in that mode, then above 1000ft, you select the CL button on the TRI for climb thrust, then press IAS/MACH. Then you can rotate the pitch wheel so it shows 250kts on the AUTOPILOT's speed select, and the aircraft will pitch down to accelerate. Retract the flaps and slats as you accelerate so that you are clean wing by 210kts. After 10000ft you can accelerate to usually anywhere 280-300kts by rotating the wheel. I usually change to mach once the mach I want has been reached. If I want to use mach 0.78 (typical cruise speed), then i wait until 0.78 is shown on the mach indicator, then switch by pushing the IAS/MACH or MACH SEL buttons depending on which system i am using

The MD-88 on github is NOT very similar to this one - only uses similar visuals (both based off Buck's 81). This plane is ENTIRELY REWRITTEN and WIP. Manual start does not work yet, the plane is still in very early development. (But this one is already far more realistic!)

Kind Regards,
Josh
Last edited by Octal450 on Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Octal450

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft