Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

McDonnell Douglas MD-80 Development

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: McDonnell Douglas MD-80 Development

Postby turkish_aviator » Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:44 pm

Thanks! Your explainations and the video helped me a lot! Now i can fly with the Mad Dog with pleasure!
Actually it happened before, i was using the "Boeing/McDonnell Douglas MD-11" aircraft that i downloaded from the simulator itself, and i was used to it's more simple autopilot. Then when i switched to your current MD-11 with more realistic autopilot, i was like a fish out of water :D I am trying to say, i hope i will get used to this autopilot as well by the time.
turkish_aviator

Version: Latest

Postby Octal450 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:34 pm

My pleasure, let me know if you have any more questions. I always like to get the autopilot and flight controls realistic early on - as it makes developing and testing the rest very easy.

Fyi the guy makes a few small mistakes describing the system in that video, there is no retard automatically in IAS/MACH autopilot mode except for landing, and I don't think he covered the takeoff modes.

Kind Regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411
Version: next

Postby turkish_aviator » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:47 pm

This question is to all dear mates and will have subjective answers. Would you guys prefer full analog cockpit or with EFIS displays? Since i love both, before flight, it really takes almost half an hour to decide which one i will fly with :D (let me fly with this one... no no no, let's fly with efis... no no no, analog would be better... and something like that :D )
turkish_aviator

Postby turkish_aviator » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:12 pm

By the way, i don't know the real aircraft well either so i don't know does the thing that i am gonna ask exists on the real MD-80s or not. In the MD-80s is it possible to push a button to make autothrottle push the throttles to take off power automatically on the runway like we can already do it in 737-800 or MD-11? If yes, is it possible to use it now or will be added in future updates?
turkish_aviator

Postby Octal450 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:00 am

turkish_aviator wrote in Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:47 pm:Would you guys prefer full analog cockpit or with EFIS displays?

Personally, I usually fly the analog. :mrgreen:

turkish_aviator wrote in Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:12 pm:In the MD-80s is it possible to push a button to make autothrottle push the throttles to take off power automatically on the runway like we can already do it in 737-800 or MD-11?

DURING TAXI
- Turn on both flight directors
- Have the flaps extended (or else it won't go into TAK OFF)
- Push the TOGA buttons - TAK OFF will appear in both roll and pitch windows.
- Make sure T/O or T/O FLEX is selected on the TRI panel

Takeoff:
- Align on runway
- (Assuming you have ATC clearance of course :mrgreen: )
- Advance power to about 1.4 EPR.
- When engines stabilizer, turn A/T switch on. "EPR TO" or "EPR 45" (assuming flex 45, otherwise you'll see another number there) will appear on the speed window
- Throttles advance to the takeoff EPR limit set on the TRI
- at 60kts, the throttles stop adjusting and "CLMP" appears.

At roughly 1000ft up, press CL on the TRI, and EPR CL automatically appers on the speed window and power is reduced to the Climb limit.

Kind Regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations

Octal450

Postby turkish_aviator » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:10 am

- Push the TOGA buttons - TAK OFF will appear in both roll and pitch windows.

Where are the TOGA buttons? :D there are two black buttons on the rear side of throttles, are they toga buttons?
turkish_aviator

Postby turkish_aviator » Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:19 am

And the radio altimeter is giving calls at only decision height and below 50 feet. In the real aircraft is it like that too? Or will you add the altitude calls for radio altimeter later?

And one more question, if i make a landing with AP off but AT on, and around 20ft above ground when i press the "E" to retard, will it deactivate the autothrottle automatically and pull the throttles to idle?
turkish_aviator

Postby Octal450 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:37 am

turkish_aviator wrote in Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:10 am:
Where are the TOGA buttons? :D there are two black buttons on the rear side of throttles, are they toga buttons?

Yes, or in the dialog. Theres a weird bug in the VC where you sometimes can't click the TOGA buttons unless the throttles are near idle. I don't know why right now but I'll work on it...

turkish_aviator wrote in Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:19 am:And the radio altimeter is giving calls at only decision height and below 50 feet. In the real aircraft is it like that too? Or will you add the altitude calls for radio altimeter later?

I modelling an older aircraft where not all the calls are there. PNF calls them usually.

turkish_aviator wrote in Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:19 am:And one more question, if i make a landing with AP off but AT on, and around 20ft above ground when i press the "E" to retard, will it deactivate the autothrottle automatically and pull the throttles to idle?

As long as the TRI is not in T/O or T/O FLEX modes, and the flaps are extended greater than 28 (use 40 its better), the autothrottle will retard automatically at 50ft (slowly) and then disconnect when reversers are applied.

Kind Regards,
Josh

Octal450

Postby turkish_aviator » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:52 am

Thanks for explaination! So while landing in manual controls (Autopilot off) but autothrottle on, it will retard automatically below 50 feet in the conditions that you told, i understood correct right?

And, is it possible to deploy reversers just before touchdown like some md's do in real life? :D
turkish_aviator

Postby Octal450 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:15 am

turkish_aviator wrote:i understood correct right?

Correct sir. Like MD-11.

turkish_aviator wrote:And, is it possible to deploy reversers just before touchdown like some md's do in real life? :D

Not yet... I have to check but I think there is an interlock.

Kind Regards,
Josh
Last edited by Octal450 on Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:06 am

Folks, FG 2020.4.0 have updated the views so that the "2" key now shows helicopter view since it is now view next to the captain view and the others are offset and the FCP panel is not able to be quick-seen.

I've added a patch that changes the view based on FG version.

Kind Regards,
Josh

Octal450

Postby turkish_aviator » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:52 pm

Hello everyone! With my extremely amateur work, i made somthing :D I made a livery for Northwest and made some corrections for already existing Allegiant livery. I don't know how to share with you so i asked Josh but until the reply come, i wanted to show you what i did! I know they are not perfect but please don't forget i am an amateur :D

Northwest:

Allegiant:
turkish_aviator

Postby turkish_aviator » Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:33 pm

Octal450 wrote in Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:01 am:Image
Pilot2938 is creating new liveries :)

Kind Regards,
Josh

Is it flyable now by the way? Just couldn't i find it or didn't you added it yet?
turkish_aviator

Postby turkish_aviator » Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:01 am

I made a new livery for Ukrainian airline Bravo Airways. I will share it tomorrow!

turkish_aviator

Postby turkish_aviator » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:52 am

Well, because of my computer's properties, , can't change the rendering settings as Josh suggested (i am sorry for not explaining, Josh knows what i mean, i asked the same for Md-11) , sim crashes immediately. So is there a way to see the screeens without their brightness change by my heading???
Last edited by turkish_aviator on Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
turkish_aviator

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft