Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

McDonnell Douglas MD-80 Development

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: McDonnell Douglas MD-80 Development

Postby Octal450 » Sun May 01, 2022 8:19 pm

Hi,
Thanks again for your kind words, I appreciate it! Glad to see another enthusiast for this quirky planes :D

Exterior lighting is only available via 2020.4 compositor at the moment. I can check if the old one had ALS lights and if it did, I can try to port them in for those using 2020.3.x.

Newer style of engine instruments are difficult to do properly - so for now they are marked "later". At some point it'll happen, just not yet.

Checklists - I thought there was one, hmm, I'll check this when I can.

When in IAS/Mach mode and CLIMBING, you can use EPR-LIM mode on the autothrottle in conjunction with it (press it AFTER engaging IAS/MACH), and then with the TRI in CL mode you will automatically keep EPR limit. For descents, target power settings around 1.0EPR manually.

TAK OFF requires Flaps extended to at least 11, and aircraft on ground, and either flight director on. Then press the buttons on the throttle (or CTRL+G) and it will go.

Kind Regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411
Version: next

Postby ryanov » Thu May 05, 2022 8:15 am

My favorite was probably the 727, but this is as close to that generation of plane that we'll probably get (there's a 727 model, but it's not good).

Yeah, your MD-88 did have working exterior lights, which is how I noticed (flew it recently). Seemed to have some problems sometimes (in some of the views, the nose light appeared to shine behind the plane). But it made navigating the airport at night a lot easier. Also had the bank angle limiter on the autopilot, which I wasn't sure was in the real plane but I've since seen that it is. Didn't realize there was a newer FGFS in development already. That's cool.

Cockpit floodlights would be pretty helpful too, but I don't think the old one had them either, and I mostly use CTRL-C to find the dimmer switches or the few things are are nearly invisible at night. I sure felt like a jerk when I discovered CTRL-C and figured out that that flood light switch doesn't work and I kept trying to hit it just right. :-P

The newer style of engine instruments I thought on the earlier MD-88 were great; I suppose you have a higher standard than I do or something, or didn't notice what was wrong.

There are no checklists anywhere I can see on this version of the plane, or in the directory of the extracted aircraft. The MD-88 version had them (though not everything is correct for the actual plane, from what I can tell -- still a big help to remind a novice when to do things).

Thanks for the tip on using IAS/Mach mode. I've since heard that pilots often target idle descents, so I've been trying that, but noticed that sometimes things get really hairy (6-7,000 fpm descents). I did some tweaking and have seen that sometimes I've had the speed set wrong going into it or something, and lowering it helps. One thing I notice is that some of these don't allow you to change the setting before switching to the mode. I think the real plane lets you do it (an example is not wanting to switch to IAS/Mach without a speed filled in/the wrong one filled in, as the plane will do stuff when you enter the mode).

I've since gotten the go-around buttons on the throttle to work, so I assume I didn't have the flaps out or something. I think the autobrakes have some kind of similar rule?

Have noticed some strange behavior with the autoland at EWR on runway 22R I think it was, but that could be the real airport or a problem in FGFS too. You get to basically 50 feet and the plane turns the yoke sharply to the right and lands you on the grass. I now know to look for it and yank control from the autopilot at the last second. Thought it was wind and an autopilot disconnect at first, but apparently not.
ryanov

Postby wkitty42 » Thu May 05, 2022 9:08 am

ryanov wrote in Thu May 05, 2022 8:15 am:Didn't realize there was a newer FGFS in development already. That's cool.

FG has been in perpetual development for 20+ years... it appears that it will remain that way for the time being, too... newer release versions are cut occasionally, though... there's no set timetable... we tried that once and it wasn't all that pretty...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Octal450 » Thu May 05, 2022 10:09 pm

OK, there are ALS lights that wlbragg added longer after I stopped working on that aircraft, but without the proper support to make them work properly. I will work on that.

Cockpit floods are not available for now in either and significant works that is outside my ability would be required.

Yeah, the basic texture is nice but the actual implementation and the needles/digits are horrid. Way below my standard. Will be redone at some point.

The real plane does not allow you to preselect the IAS/MACH mode. It engages with the current airspeed/mach when you push the button. Then you can scroll the knob to select the value you want. Keep in mind 1.0 EPR is above idle when in flight/higher up.

Autobrakes are similar. Landing flaps 28 or 40 is required for it to arm for landing, and you must have takeoff configuration (I can't recall the exact requirement now) for takeoff.

I will go ahead and sort out a checklist soon.

Kind Regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Tue May 10, 2022 4:26 am

Checklists have been added
Kind Regards,
Josh

Octal450

Postby ryanov » Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:50 am

Just wanted to say thank you. Working well now (tried it right away but didn't get around to writing in).

Any idea why the plane looks so much darker than other planes in similar lighting conditions (talking exterior view).
ryanov

Postby Octal450 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:22 am

Thank you.

I will look at the darker, I don't remember this happening. Do you have a screenshot?

My FG time is a bit limited right now but I am planning to look at porting in the ALS lights.

Kind Regards,
Josh

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:15 am

By popular demand, I've added an option to acconfig to enable automatic altitude arming such as on the SAS planes.

When active, it will arm altitude about 1 second after the internal altitude target of the DFGS updates (except ILS/ALT HLD modes)

Kind Regards.
Josh

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:03 pm

Added PLIs, and improved the drawing of the pitch scale

Note that the PLI does not appear in clean config.

Kind Regards,
Josh

Octal450

Postby Nish4t » Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:15 am

Hi, Octal450, I am a fan of your MD80 but I miss the route manager or fmgc in the cockpit. Can you implement a basic one, even for eyecandy?

Regards,
Nish4t
Searching for a short haul airliner ?
MD 80 is your choice
Nish4t

Version: 2020.3.17

Postby Octal450 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:54 pm

Hi,
If you mean a MCDU, it will be coming later.

you can get to the dialog under the DFGS menu.

Kind Regards,
Josh

Octal450

Postby Nish4t » Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:58 pm

Yes, Octal I mean the fmgc route planners which also for the b727.
Is there a middle screen too between the fmgc s of md 80?

Regards,
Nish4t
MD 80 is your choice
Nish4t

Postby Octal450 » Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:37 pm

Hi,
I am sorry, but I did not understand that message.

Kind Regards,
Josh

Octal450

Postby Nish4t » Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:56 pm

MD 80 is your choice
Nish4t