Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Joystick single and multi engine support

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Joystick single and multi engine support

Postby Alant » Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:15 pm

Users have Joysticks or throttle units which support between 1 and 4 (and sometimes more) throttles.
Similarly aircraft have between 1 and 4 (and sometimes more) engines.
Is there any way for Joystick xml to detect how many engines are to be supported, or alternativly is there any way that an aircraft model can detect how many throttles are connected to it?
If either of these is possible it would not be difficult to map the number of throttles to the number of engines in a reasonable default manner.
At the moment it is possible to detect the aircaft name in the joystick xml and map the available throttles to engine throttles and possibly mixture levers or other engine controls, but we have several hundred aircraft.
Any ideas?
Alan
Alant

Callsign: Tarnish99
Version: from Git

Re: Joystick single and multi engine support

Postby wlbragg » Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:34 pm

Is there any way for Joystick xml to detect how many engines are to be supported

My guess here is yes there is a way, but has anyone coded it yet. If not coded yet, once it is, other developers would need to adopt that standard.

is there any way that an aircraft model can detect how many throttles are connected to it

That one I don't know, but logic tells me no, not without additional core code?
Kansas(2-27-15)/Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA (2-27-15), 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i5 3570K AMDRX480
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Re: Joystick single and multi engine support

Postby AndersG » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:56 am

The Saitek 3-level throttle file in FG has some configurations that can be selected. They are not automatic, though.
Callsign: SE-AG
Aircraft (uhm...): Submarine Scout, Zeppelin NT, ZF Navy free balloon, Nordstern, Hindenburg, Short Empire flying-boat, ZNP-K, North Sea class, MTB T21 class, U.S.S. Monitor, MFI-9B, Type UB I submarine, Gokstad ship, Renault FT.
AndersG

Callsign: SE-AG

Return to Aircraft