Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

(In)completeness of airliners

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: (In)completeness of airliners

Postby wkitty42 » Sun May 03, 2020 11:00 pm

not to mention that you've been working almost non-stop for several years on several craft, right, Octal450?

it takes a lot of time and a lot of work that many people just don't consider... especially when it is all done in free time for little to no $$$... quite unlike other graphics houses that have teams of coders and artists they pay (almost?) living salaries to...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Octal450 » Sun May 03, 2020 11:08 pm

Yep. 4 years I've been working on A320 and MD-11, with only some months of break per year.

Now, V12, if you want to pay me enough money to be able to abandon my current college plans, not get a job, and full time FG programmed... I'm sure you'll find much more completeness... but unless that happens, I am doing this in my free time. (as is lego, etc)

Kind Regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411
Version: next

Postby Thorsten » Mon May 04, 2020 8:11 am

Show me please better developed modern airliner than A320 family.

Certainly not - why would anyone do that since you have abandoned FG and are happily using other simulators (as you claimed multiple times)?

With all due respect... it sounds like you are whining.

Yep. But he's been doing this for a while now - seems to think that bad-mouthing development and threatening to use other simulations will get something accomplished.
Thorsten

Postby Hooray » Mon May 04, 2020 8:34 am

If completeness matters to you, it might be better to reach out to the community to discuss criteria for completeness for different classes/categories of completeness, eg cockpit, exterior, 3d models, textures, working instrumentation (vfr vs ifr), sound, checklists etc

That kind of discussion could be really useful and we could even encode such info at the - set.xml level and use it to search/filter aircraft in the launcher/website respectively - with people being able to select the criteria that matter to THEM
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby legoboyvdlp » Mon May 04, 2020 9:00 am

Isn't that essentially what the rating system does?
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO

Postby CaptB » Mon May 04, 2020 9:20 am

Developing aircraft, especially the study level kind is lengthy and difficult, otherwise we'd have plenty of those. The fact is that many projects are simply abandoned at some stage of development, but that's just a good reason to go and adopt one!

I invite anyone who is unhappy with the state of aircraft(or scenery) to jump in and do some positive work. I am ready to help with the 2D/3D aspect of it (Maybe forming an official mentor group should be discussed?)
Ongoing projects(3D modelling): A320, MD-11, A350, B767
FG767: https://fg767.wordpress.com/
CaptB

Callsign: EKCH_AP
IRC name: CaptB

Postby wkitty42 » Mon May 04, 2020 1:44 pm

legoboyvdlp wrote in Mon May 04, 2020 9:00 am:Isn't that essentially what the rating system does?

that's what i was thinking, too ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Previous

Return to Aircraft