Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Best developed twin-engine/turboprop aircraft

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: Best developed twin-engine/turboprop aircraft

Postby AzulProfundo » Mon May 11, 2020 2:14 pm

SurferTim wrote in Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:03 pm:As you can see by my signature, I like the Twin Otter. It is designed as a short range STOL aircraft. Move your lawn furniture and barbecue, and I'll land in your back yard.
It isn't an executive aircraft like the BE90 or the like.

Well, I am new to FlightGear, so I have little experience with FGFS aircraft, but so far I have found problems with the ATR 72-500 and the Fokker 50, and a very good aircraft model: The Twin Otter! So I completely agree with SurferTim, but I should practice a lot before landing on any back yard...

I will look for any detailed posts on the Twin Otter alone, to check for further advice, or perhaps create a new one!

Anyway, the Twin Otter (from Patten's Hangar) has the most complete systems, tutorials and checklists simulation in this category of aircraft that I have seen (comparing with my previous experiences with FSX and X-Plane).
Although the (realistic) configuration of the cockpit makes it difficult to check for the position of throttles and flaps during the approach and landing.
AzulProfundo

Version: 2019.1.1

Re: Best developed twin-engine/turboprop aircraft

Postby SurferTim » Mon May 11, 2020 2:19 pm

I don't have a problem seeing flaps and power (throttle) on my Twin Otter.
Flap indicator in the center post of the windshield, as IRL.
Torque indicator is top engine gauges, as IRL.
On my newest update, you can hear the general power setting. It is the high frequency whine.

Edit: If you choose a turboprop, the torque indicator will be your best friend in no time at all.
I really have no idea where my throttle is set. I set it to make that torque gauge read what I want.

Here is the settings I use on mine.
Takeoff = 50 psi
Climb = 40 psi
Cruise (120kts) = 32 psi
Descent (3 degree/120kts) = 25psi
Slow to approach speed = 15-19psi
Fly low, fly slow, land on a dime. Twin Otter DHC6-300+. https://github.com/SurferTim/dhc6p
PirateAir videos at https://www.youtube.com/user/SurferTim850
SurferTim

Callsign: Pirate
Version: 2019.2.0

Previous

Return to Aircraft