Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Falco from Future Boy Conan

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Falco from Future Boy Conan

Postby cobe571 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:37 am

The Falco is a fictional retro-propeller seaplane from the animated series "Future Boy Conan ", an adaptation of Alexander Key's science fiction novel The Incredible Tide.

The Falco is a very fast aircraft, used for reconnaissance and defense purposes. It is equipped with several large-caliber machine guns. Its function is mainly of the reconnaissance and patrol type of the airspace around Indastria. The crew consists of a pilot, a co-pilot and a machine gunner.

It is actually a hybrid between an agile and dynamic helicopter and a subspecies of hydroplane. In fact, the Falcon is able to land only on marine surfaces. The combination between the power of the propeller and the ailerons placed on the base of the wings guarantee the Falco remarkable power and a high capacity for movement. The vehicle is able to comfortably carry two people + the pilot. It is adapted with a powerful submachine gun and works thanks to nuclear energy. However, being a small vehicle, consumption is certainly reduced and does not affect the atomic reactor stocks much.

The model was entirely made with the open source software, Blender. And it is preparing to become fully operational for the FlightGear Flight Simulator.

Manufacturer : Industria Atomic Labs
Type : Seaplane Recon/Fighter
Year : 2019
Powerplant : Industria Atomic Labs - Blade N-107
Wingspan : 80 ft ( 24.32 m )
Length : 37 ft ( 11.18 m )
Height : 22 ft ( 6.78 m )
Weight : 8058 lb ( 3655 kg )
Cruise speed : 313 kt ( 578 km/h )
Max speed : 373 kt ( 690 km/h )
Range : 19900 mi ( 32026 km )
Crew : 3

Reference:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_Boy_Conan

"According to the laws of aerodynamics, the bumblebee can't fly either, but the bumblebee doesn't know anything about the laws of aerodynamics, so it goes ahead and flies anyway."
cobe571

Callsign: cobe571
IRC name: cobe571
Version: 2019.1.2

Re: Falco from Future Boy Conan

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:12 pm

i'm never seen the show... looking at the initial drawings, wow! that's a stubbier craft than i expected... nice modeling!

i was hoping to see some water takeoffs and landings in the video, though... especially when i realized it was FG flying and not a link to a vid of the show displaying the craft ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby CaptB » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:27 pm

Wow, this surprised me completely. I loved Conan as a child and still remember the series fondly, great job.
CaptB

Callsign: EKCH_AP
IRC name: CAPTB
Version: 2020.1.1

Postby cobe571 » Fri May 01, 2020 6:09 pm

wkitty42 wrote in Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:12 pm:i'm never seen the show... looking at the initial drawings, wow! that's a stubbier craft than i expected... nice modeling!

i was hoping to see some water takeoffs and landings in the video, though... especially when i realized it was FG flying and not a link to a vid of the show displaying the craft ;)

Unfortunately, not everyone knows about this beautiful cartoon. I think it is one of the most beautiful works by the great Hayao Miyazaki. My video was made the 20 Jun 2014 using a fictional FDM to make it fly. With a "real" FDM it could not fly due to the position of the pushing propeller which is too high in relation to the trailing edge of the wing. In practice, as the thrust force increases, the plane would sink into the sea rather than take off.

You can see some very good scene here

"According to the laws of aerodynamics, the bumblebee can't fly either, but the bumblebee doesn't know anything about the laws of aerodynamics, so it goes ahead and flies anyway."
cobe571

Postby cobe571 » Fri May 01, 2020 6:19 pm

CaptB wrote in Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:27 pm:Wow, this surprised me completely. I loved Conan as a child and still remember the series fondly, great job.

I'm very happy that you love this cartoon so much. I planned to make the Giganto too, and introduce it into FGFS. The only problem are dimensions. Is very very huge. Never seen something like that Into FG and I don't really know if that's possible

cobe571

Postby wkitty42 » Fri May 01, 2020 6:46 pm

cobe571 wrote in Fri May 01, 2020 6:19 pm:I planned to make the Giganto too, and introduce it into FGFS. The only problem are dimensions. Is very very huge. Never seen something like that Into FG and I don't really know if that's possible

it is possible... there are star trek and other space program craft that have been made for FG... i think one recent one i saw was the Prometheus or Daedalus from stargate sg-1...

"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby cobe571 » Fri May 01, 2020 8:28 pm

it is possible... there are star trek and other space program craft that have been made for FG

Yes, I know those models but they are much smaller in size. Certainly anything is possible. But the size ratio between the Falco and the Giganto is enormous. The Giganto is at least one hundred times larger than the Falco. What I would like to do about the Giganto is a job that also affects the internal part, so the interiors, which would therefore be open to visitors and walkers. The Giganto is also divided into several parts. a part of the muzzle which becomes a flying rescue vehicle and the vertical stabilizer which likewise becomes a lifeboat that has the ability to glide. Not an easy task, at least for me.
cobe571

Postby wkitty42 » Fri May 01, 2020 11:58 pm

i think those sub-parts could maybe be done like the shuttle's SRBs and external tank... the sim switches from one model to several at the time of separation, i think... the biggest problem would be memory managing with a set of large models... possibly also check out the compartmented bluebird hover craft for ways to possibly handle the interior...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby asr » Sun May 03, 2020 11:20 am

Amazing job, loved that show as a kid (I must've been 4-5 years old when that ran on the TV over here, but it's lessons on ecology and human greed are impossible to forget).

I'd love to see it fly
asr

Return to Aircraft