Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

North American T6 Texan

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: North American T6 Texan

Postby amue » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:03 am

Knüppelrührer wrote in Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:23 pm:Performance numbers are only one side of the story and are more a reality check for the final FDM.

You need the actual aerodynamic coefficients, The only true ones are from wind tunnel or flight testing (or combination thereof)

An engineering background is beneficial. And even the pros need a lot of time to obtain good results

If you have interest, search for Aeromatic Datcom, OpenVSP as there are exzellent posts for those in various threads.

I wonder: Does someone actually have wind tunnel or flight test data of the T-6?
Since the T-6 was a common training aircraft of its time, I expected that NACA has tested it. But searching ntrs.nasa.gov I haven't found any data. Maybe I used the wrong keywords (the T-6 has a lot of variants and designations). Any idea or tip what to look for?
amue

Postby Johan G » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:12 am

amue wrote in Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:03 am:[...] the T-6 has a lot of variants and designations). [...]

Enough variants that there is a separate Wikipedia article listing the variants: North American T-6 Texan variants (permalink)

amue wrote in Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:03 am:Since the T-6 was a common training aircraft of its time, I expected that NACA has tested it. But searching ntrs.nasa.gov I haven't found any data. Maybe I used the wrong keywords [...]. Any idea or tip what to look for?

I would suggest looking at the early designations. See the Development section (permalink) of the T-6 Wikipedia article. Or, probably more useful, North American's own designations towards the end of the list article mentioned above.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 3.0.0

Postby Octal450 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:58 pm

wkitty42 wrote in Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:03 pm:making a JSBSim FDM would make it more accurate but you need to find the needed numbers... JSBSim is a lot more involved and wind tunnel numbers are almost a necessity...

That is not true. There are MANY MANY ways to calculate the numbers if data is not found.

Kind Regards,
Josh
What I do: Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas Displays, Autoflight, FlyByWire, Cockpit Animations
Aircraft I currently develop: MD-11 (Mainly), A320-family, Secret (Quality over Quantity)

My GitHub|MD-11 and ITAF Dev Discord|Airbus Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411/Octal
Version: next

Postby amue » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:54 am

Johan G wrote in Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:12 am:Enough variants that there is a separate Wikipedia article listing the variants: North American T-6 Texan variants (permalink)

I would suggest looking at the early designations. See the Development section (permalink) of the T-6 Wikipedia article. Or, probably more useful, North American's own designations towards the end of the list article mentioned above.

Thanks! With "BT-9" I found some documents.
amue

Previous

Return to Aircraft