Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Airbus_A330 development (based on IDG-A33X)

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: Airbus_A330 development (based on IDG-A33X)

Postby J Maverick 16 » Fri May 29, 2020 11:36 am

You don't need to make a post for every sentence you make, this is not a chat. Let's avoid cluttering the thread :)
For AC3D export, please use the latest version available here: https://github.com/NikolaiVChr/Blender-AC3D .

In other news, thanks to vezza for pushing updates to the flight deck adding the clock and fixing various bugs!
Regards, Mav
Breakin' the sound barrier every day!

Scenery designer, basic livery maker, aircraft developer (KC-137R, F-16, A330, C-32J, MH-60)
Flying with Thrustmaster FCS Flight Pack + MFD Cougar
Find me also on Instagram & Twitter @j_maverick16 and YouTube
J Maverick 16

Callsign: J-Mav16, REBEL84
Version: 2020.1.1

Postby WoodSTokk » Fri May 29, 2020 12:46 pm

urgedpanda wrote in Fri May 29, 2020 10:40 am:Hey there! decided to go back to modelling but I couldn't learn how to use the old version of blender and when I use the new one, all the coordinates of all the models in the cockpit become 0,0,0.

Is there a fix for this as I really prefer the new blender

No, there is no fix for that. The origins of every object will be not stored in the AC3D file, so the importer set it all to 0,0,0.
WoodSTokk

Callsign: OE-WST
IRC name: WoodSTokk
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby urgedpanda » Fri May 29, 2020 1:12 pm

very weird because when I export it into the simulator all the animations are ruined: the flaps lever animations has a messed up center now (just an example as it's the same for all other buttons)
urgedpanda

Postby WoodSTokk » Sat May 30, 2020 1:19 pm

Have imported it in the correct coordinate system?
If all is correct and you switch to top view in Blender, you should see the aircraft from top and the node pointing to the left.
So the right side from the aircraft goes in positive direction of Y axis and the left side goes in negative Y axis.

The origin has nothing to do with the axis of animation.
If the axis of the object sitting on the global coordinate 10,5,3, it doesnt matter where the origin of the object is.
Therefor i work allways in global coordinates, never in local!
WoodSTokk

Postby amue » Sat May 30, 2020 2:18 pm

WoodSTokk wrote in Fri May 29, 2020 12:46 pm:No, there is no fix for that. The origins of every object will be not stored in the AC3D file, so the importer set it all to 0,0,0.

That's not fully correct. The AC3D file format can hold the origins of each object. The blender plugin also supports that: In the export options you have to set Matrices: "Export" instead of "Apply before export".
amue

Postby WoodSTokk » Sat May 30, 2020 4:11 pm

amue wrote in Sat May 30, 2020 2:18 pm:That's not fully correct. The AC3D file format can hold the origins of each object. The blender plugin also supports that: In the export options you have to set Matrices: "Export" instead of "Apply before export".

Oh, nice. Does this change the axis coordinates?
WoodSTokk

Postby urgedpanda » Sat May 30, 2020 5:32 pm

I am going to do some research tomorrow so I can understand what you said and fix the thing.
Do you know a video/wiki page with a good explanation?
urgedpanda

Postby WoodSTokk » Sat May 30, 2020 10:47 pm

No, sorry. I even doesn't know Blender before i started with FG.
Last edited by Johan G on Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please, do not quote the entire post directly above your post.
WoodSTokk

Postby amue » Sun May 31, 2020 8:37 am

WoodSTokk wrote in Sat May 30, 2020 4:11 pm:Oh, nice. Does this change the axis coordinates?

What axis coordinates do you mean? The animation definitions in the xml file?
Then the answer is no (unfortunately IMHO), because the OSG *.ac loader applies the matrices directly to the object meshes while loading the model: https://forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=36445
That means even with the blender plugin export option Matrices = "Export" you still have to define the animations in the global model coordinate system instead of the local objects coordinate systems.

WoodSTokk wrote in Sat May 30, 2020 1:19 pm:Have imported it in the correct coordinate system?
If all is correct and you switch to top view in Blender, you should see the aircraft from top and the node pointing to the left.
So the right side from the aircraft goes in positive direction of Y axis and the left side goes in negative Y axis.

I would like to add, one also has to pay attention that the Blender exporter exports the model in the correct coordinate system. Flightgear has different axis conventions for different file formats :shock: : https://forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37353#p366821
amue

Postby WoodSTokk » Sun May 31, 2020 9:00 am

amue wrote in Sun May 31, 2020 8:37 am:
WoodSTokk wrote in Sat May 30, 2020 4:11 pm:Oh, nice. Does this change the axis coordinates?

What axis coordinates do you mean? The animation definitions in the xml file?
Then the answer is no (unfortunately IMHO), because the OSG *.ac loader applies the matrices directly to the object meshes while loading the model: https://forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=36445
That means even with the blender plugin export option Matrices = "Export" you still have to define the animations in the global model coordinate system instead of the local objects coordinate systems.

Yes, that what i mean. So it doesn't matter if we export the metrics or not.
Thanks for clarify that.

amue wrote in Sun May 31, 2020 8:37 am:
WoodSTokk wrote in Sat May 30, 2020 1:19 pm:Have imported it in the correct coordinate system?

I would like to add, one also has to pay attention that the Blender exporter exports the model in the correct coordinate system. Flightgear has different axis conventions for different file formats :shock: : https://forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37353#p366821

Oh, yes, thats right. After some exports i set the export options and saved it as preset 'FlightGear'.
If i export for FG, i make sure the preset is choosen.
The only option that i set sometimes is 'export lines' if a model has axis objects.
WoodSTokk

Postby urgedpanda » Sun May 31, 2020 6:02 pm

guys sorry if I'm too much of a newbie but I'm totally overwhelmed as a beginner by all the techinical terms.
If you look at page 8 you'll find a conversation where I stated the problem.

As you seem to have found the fix can you tell me how (setting a preset of some sort?)
urgedpanda

Postby WoodSTokk » Sun May 31, 2020 7:34 pm

urgedpanda wrote in Sun May 31, 2020 6:02 pm:guys sorry if I'm too much of a newbie but I'm totally overwhelmed as a beginner by all the techinical terms.
If you look at page 8 you'll find a conversation where I stated the problem.

As you seem to have found the fix can you tell me how (setting a preset of some sort?)

Sorry, i cant open the cockpit.blend file (i'm using Blender 2.79).

But in the post on page 8 you are talking about axis objects.
An axis object is a object that has only 2 vertices linked as one edge. No triangle is possible with 2 points.
The problem is, the export script exports normally only surfaces! So the axis object are missing in the ac file.
The animation in the xml file relate to the axis object but its not there, so the object rotate around a unknown axis.
To export axis objects, check 'Export lines' in the export screen.

PS: axis objects doesn't work realy well. A axis define a vector from first point to the second. This is important becaue it defines also the rolling direction.
But FG doesn't respect the order of points, witch often leads to the wrong rolling direction.
With a rotate animation you can give a negative angle ti couteract this behavior.
But if it comes to locked-track animation where you have lock-axis and track-axis, you are lost.
The only workable way is to calculate the vector and write it directly in the animation.
WoodSTokk

Postby urgedpanda » Sun May 31, 2020 8:04 pm

so basically you're saying that somewhere in the model there are 2 vertices linked as one edge and that messed up the animations?
urgedpanda

Postby WoodSTokk » Sun May 31, 2020 11:04 pm

This object is not the problem. The problem is that the exporter doesn't export this object but the animation need it.
You should make sure that the option 'Export lines' is checked while exporting the model to ac file.
WoodSTokk

Postby urgedpanda » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:28 am

ooooh ok can you tell me where that option is?
urgedpanda

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft