Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Piper PA28 Warrior II

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: Piper PA28 Warrior II

Postby Hooray » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:22 pm

In the meantime (i.e. as a compromise), it is possible to stream a canvas (texture) over http to a running browser instance - this won't receive any mouse events "as is" (this would need additional work, or you'd just use a HTML page with some controls to use the mongoose back-end to control the FG1000, which is using Emesary anyway):

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Read_canvas_image_by_HTTP

With that being said, I've previously demonstrated how OSG's ReaderWriter based plugin system can be used to work around hard-coded FlightGear limitations: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Canvas_SVG
Which is to say, in OSG land it's also fairly common to see VNC being used in conjunction with OSG apps - and there is a dedicated ReaderWriter plugin just for VNC support - in other words, with a little, you could get an arbitrary canvas to be served via VNC probably: https://github.com/openscenegraph/OpenS ... terVNC.cpp
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Postby Robertfm » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:11 pm

Changing to topic slightly. Is there any intention to activate the Altitude Preselect on the Garmin G5. Seems to be the only function that isn't currently working.
Robertfm

Postby Robertfm » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:45 pm

To whom it may concern, is there any chance of moving the RPM Instrument to the vacant mount on the left. This will enable to lower the view. Thank you.
Robertfm

Postby danielHL » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:19 am

Hm, nearly every photo of a Warrior cockpit I could find has it down there next to the throttle lever. That's also where most single engine planes have it, together with all the other engine-related instruments. So out of realism I'd vote against that.
danielHL / D-FMPW
danielHL

Callsign: D-FMPW
Version: next

Postby Robertfm » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:30 am

The difference is in a real plane all the cockpit it in view all of the tme. With FG unless you zoom out so instruments are unreadable this isn't the case
Robertfm

Postby danielHL » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:06 pm

That's not true, either. The RPM meter isn't in view, I'd have to tilt my head in the real plane as well. Also, for RPM you have a lot of "secondary indications": engine sound, speed and pitch response, throttle lever position... to monitor during flight, and glance at the RPM only a few times every minute (as compared to the flight instruments which need to be checked every few seconds)

During high-workload phases of flight (takeoff, landing), RPM is rather useless. For takeoff, you put the lever on max anyways (check instrument once for correct power), during landing you either pull back for power off approach or use throttle as needed. The only times you have to adjust power to certain settings is during run-up on the ground or when setting cruise power. Both are low-workload phases where a bit of zooming an panning can easily been done and no other instruments have to be monitored.

Also this depends on resolution and screen size. Even with my meagerly 13" laptop screen I can see the top end of the RPM meter quite well during normal flight and still read all the other instruments...
danielHL / D-FMPW
danielHL

Callsign: D-FMPW
Version: next

Postby Robertfm » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:26 pm

All I would say is old planes never use to have Glass Cockpits now they do. Instrument positions therefore in that case is irrelevant as they don't exist. Still that's you opinion.
Robertfm

Postby D-ECHO » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:40 pm

I don't understand your last message, care to explain?

In General, realism will always be before convenience
D-ECHO

Postby Robertfm » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:42 pm

That's fine. It merely meant things change as time moves on. As there was a vacant area it just seemed logical to use it. No big deal.
Robertfm

Postby D-ECHO » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:43 pm

Okay thx
D-ECHO

Previous

Return to Aircraft