Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Piper PA28 Warrior II

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: Piper PA28 Warrior II

Postby barta » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:34 pm

Hi, all!
Last year I've started to code the GNS530 for the IDG-PA28, but never had a chance of finishing it. (the original post it's here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=32783&start=90#p352171)

Now I've downloaded and took this puppy for a ride and noticed that it has the option for the GNS530, but disabled.

I've started sketching a way to do it with FG1000, based on my work of implementing the Cirrus Perspective on the SR22T, although the GNS530 it's a little more tricky because the screens are really different, but the basic functions are the same.

Here is the result so far:

100% working:
Cursor (right knob)
Comm and Nav switches and knobs.
Map and range selector.
Direct-to Button
Airport Information (select the frequency and press enter to set it on the stand-by!)
Flight Plan

Working but needs visual improvements:
All the funcionality of FG1000 (Nearest, checklists, etc)

Not working:
The bottom buttons except FPL (CDI, OBS, etc).

I can finish it and send a patch or upload a repo in github with it, but I want to know if it's a desirable feature and that it will make it to the aircraft in FG.

Cheers,
Barta
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
- Leonardo da Vinci
barta

Postby Octal450 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:13 am

Great work Barta! Keep it up!

Josh
What I do: Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas Displays, Autoflight, FlyByWire, Cockpit Animations
Aircraft I currently develop: MD-11 (Mainly), A320-family, Secret (Quality over Quantity)

My GitHub|MD-11 and ITAF Dev Discord|Airbus Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411/Octal
Version: next

Postby Robertfm » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:40 am

Do I take it the GNS530 is still not functional in the current FG Plane at the moment.
Robertfm

Postby barta » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:42 pm

Well, my working repo with the GNS530 implementation is here:

https://github.com/bartacruz/PA28
(use the "barta" branch. The master is synced with fgaddon svn)

You'll need the "next" version of FG since I've taken advantage of recent additions in FG1000..

Cheers,
Barta
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
- Leonardo da Vinci
barta

Postby D-ECHO » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:47 pm

Sorry for the late reply.

barta, your work looks fantastic! I'd definitely be glad to push it to the FGAddon version once you consider it ready. One important thing though would be an implementation that allows for all the additional code to not be executed if the GNS is not selected - so as to not decrease the performance for those not interested in the GNS530. I hope this isn't too much work?

[EDIT] grammar
D-ECHO

Postby Robertfm » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:55 pm

Barta: Thanks for offering that but I am not comfortable altering code. I prefer to wait until it becomes an official update.
Robertfm

Postby Knüppelrührer » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:40 pm

Barta, fantastic!

Actually this is a piece missing in this and other aircraft! So very welcome! Thanks for the work invested. Hopefully you can get it running as intended.

D-ECHOs suggestion sounds good.
Knüppelrührer

Version: 2019.1.1

Postby msalama » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:47 pm

but I want to know if it's a desirable feature

Coming from a lowly end-user FG pilot only, but bloody hell YES, it definitely is a desirable feature. Thanks for the good job done mate.
msalama

Postby barta » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:51 pm

Thanks! I'll keep working on it and pushing the changes to my repo on github, then.

D-ECHO wrote:One important thing though would be an implementation that allows for all the additional code to not be executed if the GNS is not selected - so as to not decrease the performance for those not interested in the GNS530. I hope this isn't too much work?

Yes, that would be good. Don't know how to do it, but I'll dig into it.

Robertfm wrote:Thanks for offering that but I am not comfortable altering code. I prefer to wait until it becomes an official update.

That's the idea. Keep working my copy with "next" as the base branch, and publish it into FGAddon when they push the next FG release (that will include the FG1000 additions).
I'm currently working with Stuart to make other enhancements and fix some bugs of FG1000, so we can make a better implementation of the GNS530 and, hopefully, other Garmins PFDs and MFDs that uses similar logic.

Cheers,
Barta
- Leonardo da Vinci
barta

Postby Robertfm » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:59 pm

With the FG1000 is it your intention to make the size adjustable. I was advised if you left click an mouse and drag from the bezel it should adjust the size but that didn't work. All I was able to do was move it around the screen. It can't be dragged to another monitor which is a shame.
Robertfm

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:02 pm

robert, it has to stay within the FG window because it is part of FG... it is not an autonomous window that you can drag anywhere on your screen realestate... if you want to put it on another monitor, you have to make the FG window split across more than one monitor but even then, the FG1000 will still be in the FG window...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby D-ECHO » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:07 pm

@barta: i just tested it: It's awesome! Please keep it up, it's really good
D-ECHO

Postby Robertfm » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:23 pm

wkitty42 wrote in Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:02 pm:robert, it has to stay within the FG window because it is part of FG... it is not an autonomous window that you can drag anywhere on your screen realestate... if you want to put it on another monitor, you have to make the FG window split across more than one monitor but even then, the FG1000 will still be in the FG window...

So if it can't go to another monitor and can't be reduced in size then as an addon to a non glass cockpit it can't be used because you take up almost the entire view.
Robertfm

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:12 pm

you mean you can't bring it up and put it away when you want or you would maybe prefer a mount on the dash to hold it like the GPS in the c172p is? that one is hidden in the glove box when it is put away... when you click on it, it mounts on the dash on the passenger side... can't go in the middle because of the compass... i use it like i do the CTRL-M map and pop it up when i need to see something on it otherwise, it is away and not on the screen...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Robertfm » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:33 pm

The idea of the FG 1000 is to basically use it to fly the plane using it rather than steam gauges. But we must be able to see outside the plane at the same time. It's the size of it that makes doing both impossible.
Robertfm

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft