Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Piper PA28 Warrior II

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: Piper PA28 Warrior II

Postby Robertfm » Thu May 28, 2020 12:04 pm

I know how you guys like accuracy :):):)
Robertfm

Postby D-ECHO » Thu May 28, 2020 12:06 pm

:D
D-ECHO

Postby LS6-a_Pilot » Thu May 28, 2020 12:20 pm

Cool :-)

When trying out the Warrier (though FG tells me it is a Cadet) I made these observations

- I have the feeling that the stall comes either far too late (too slow speed) or even not at all
- The PA28 is hard to descent on final if not really having speed under control. But this PA28 seems to have a far too good L/D ratio even when the engine is on idle and the flaps fully ectended
- The response of the engine RPM to changes of the throttle are extremly delayed

Is this known and are there possibilities to improve?

I'm still learning about FLightGear and it looks like that to run smoothly on limited PC power the default for resolution is quite low. I already increased certain settings and my frame rate still does not drop below 60. I saw screenshots which have a much better resolution of the dashboard of the PA28 than I can see on my screen. How can I achieve this?

Before I forget: I would like to change the call sign permanently. Where is this possible?

Kind regards,
Günther
LS6-a_Pilot

Postby LS6-a_Pilot » Thu May 28, 2020 12:35 pm

Thank you guys. I found the 1979 Warrier and this is much more like the real thing :D
LS6-a_Pilot

Postby wkitty42 » Thu May 28, 2020 1:24 pm

LS6-a_Pilot wrote in Thu May 28, 2020 12:20 pm:Before I forget: I would like to change the call sign permanently. Where is this possible?

do you mean the craft's callsign? some craft offer this but not all... a dev would need to add it to the craft's code if it isn't already available...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Octal450 » Thu May 28, 2020 3:36 pm

Hi Günther,
Did you make sure to have the right aircraft? There is a old planes too. I'm not sure what you mean by Cadet, as the model in this package is Warrior. This thread is about the very detailed model created by us, not the old ones with low detail.

The lift and drag are tuned to match experience I have in the real aircraft, as is the throttle response. Many GAs in FG have far too much drag and thus you may be not used to it. The descent rates and power positions were tuned to get it as close as possible to my notes and observations when flying the real PA28 Warrior.

Kind Regards,
Josh
What I do: Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas Displays, Autoflight, FlyByWire, Cockpit Animations
Aircraft I currently develop: MD-11 (Mainly), A320-family, Secret (Quality over Quantity)

My GitHub|MD-11 and ITAF Dev Discord|Airbus Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411/Octal
Version: next

Postby D-ECHO » Thu May 28, 2020 6:54 pm

To be sure, it should look more or less like this:
https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/fg ... ckpit1.jpg
D-ECHO

Postby LS6-a_Pilot » Sat May 30, 2020 2:46 pm

Hi Josh,

my initial post was about the old model. I found the 1979 Warrier II and this simulation is quite near to the real airplane. So far I can't complain.

The call sign is written on the plane and what you use to identify on radio calls. In the USA this always starts with N. The 1979 Warrier II has C-FBJO. I'd like to change this to a German registration of a real PA-28 before I try out Multyplayer.

Just a little bit about me:
- Owner of an EU PPL(A) with aerobatic and towing rating (towing sailplanes)
- Owner of an EU SPL (Sailplane Pilot License), Flight Instructor, aerobatic
- Based in Bonn, Germany using EDKB (Bonn-Hangelar) in real life and Flight Gear

Kind regards,
Günther
LS6-a_Pilot

Postby D-ECHO » Sat May 30, 2020 2:54 pm

Hey Günther :)

I think all three of us (Josh, you and me) have real life piloting experience so we got quite a bit of knowledge here, this is going to be fun :)

You are still not using the aircraft we're talking about here ;) That one does not have a C-FBJO livery. Please make sure it does look more or less like in the picture sent above:

About the callsign: While I understand the interest in putting one's own callsign onto the aircraft, to ensure realism, at the moment it is decided to have a selection of real-life liveries along with their respective callsigns for the aircraft. At the moment you can choose from:
* D-ETIK (thanks to D-SVEN!)
* G-OPTI
* N2436Y
* N3077M
* N47508
If you want to use another livery (make sure it fits the aircraft, i.e. it's a Warrior II and not another model), I can usually create them in a couple of days given there are photos available and it's not a too difficult one.

Regards and have a good day

[EDIT] fix image link
D-ECHO

Postby LS6-a_Pilot » Sat May 30, 2020 3:09 pm

Hi D-ECHO (I wonder what your name is),

Thank you for your reply. Indeed I don't have the aircraft you are referring to. Until now I browsed through the aircraft list within FlightGear. There I see these PA-28 models:

Piper Cherokee Warrier II (1979 model)
Piper PA 28 (YASim)

Where can I find the model you are referring to?

Kind regards,
Günther
LS6-a_Pilot

Postby Robertfm » Sat May 30, 2020 3:37 pm

In my version it's listed under PA28 (physically) in browse.
Robertfm

Postby Knüppelrührer » Sat May 30, 2020 3:41 pm

Welcome Günther!

We should make sure we speak about the same aircraft. You can find the Pa28 dealt with here, when you browse for "PA28" or Warrior.
If you are happy with the 1979 version, feel free to use it. You will find "our" package however more adcanced. Hopefully you enjoy it.

Schönen Gruß nach Hangelar!
Knüppelrührer

Version: 2019.1.1

Postby D-ECHO » Sat May 30, 2020 4:00 pm

Hi Günther,
this is the entry you should be looking for ;)

However, I just noticed it may be a thing that it's not displayed for you: Which FG version are you using? Could you try enabling (in the launcher) Add-Ons -> FlightGear aircraft distribution from FGAddon ?

My name's Benedikt btw :D
Regards
D-ECHO

Postby LS6-a_Pilot » Sun May 31, 2020 7:52 am

Hi Benedikt,

I can't see this entry. The version I am using is 2018.3.5. In Add-ons I have activated the FlightGear aircraft distribution for 2018.x versions under Add-ons > Aircraft hangars.

If I filter in the launcher under Aircraft for Piper I see only these models:

PA34-200T Senca II
Piper Cherokee Warrior II (1979 model)
Piper Comanche 250, CIII autopilot
Piper J-3 Cub (J3C-65, 1946 model) (YASim)
Piper PA 18 (YASim)
Piper PA 28 (YASim)
Piper PA 32 (YASim)

Kind regards,
Günther

P.S.: Kann ich im Editor nur Bilder über eine URL verlinken? In anderen Foren kann man Bilder einfügen, ohne diese vorher auf einem Web-Server zu laden.
LS6-a_Pilot

Postby D-ECHO » Sun May 31, 2020 4:17 pm

Hi Günther,
I'd guess it has something to do with version vs. trunk, can you enable FGAddon trunk or development or so from Add-ons -> Aircraft hangars? It might be our aircraft isn't tagged for that version.
Regards
Benedikt
PS: IIRC due to storage reasons, you have to link to images via the URL, free image hosting sites are e.g. imgur.com, this one gives you a link or if you want the whole forum code as "BBCode (forums) or so
(de) Soweit ich mich erinnere ist es wegen dem Speicherplatz auf dem Server, dass man Bilder verlinken muss und nicht hochladen kann. Du kannst sie beispielsweise auf imgur.com oder ähnliche hochladen und dann die entsprechende Zeile von den Share Links kopieren
D-ECHO

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft