Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Piper PA28 Warrior II

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: Piper PA28 Warrior II

Postby namosca » Thu May 12, 2022 8:07 pm

Hi all.
I have seen that the checklist of the PA-28 doesnt have the "?" symbol to show which buttons correspond to which checklist item, and so I though I could hover thru all of them to see what they mean... but this hover function also doesnt work for all of them.

In case I want to contribute and add more hover messages to the items in cockpit, I have the following questions:
1) In which file would I do that?
2) Also, what is the github repo for this aircraft?
3) Is the PA 28 Owners Handbook listed at https://learn2flyhere.com/wp-content/up ... N55263.pdf, pdf page 68 a good start?

Thanks!
namosca

Postby Octal450 » Thu May 12, 2022 10:17 pm

Yeah, it doesn't at the moment.

We are working out of FGAddon on sourceforge currently, not github.

Kind Regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411
Version: next

Postby Robertfm » Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:28 am

Is the plane modelled to include Pitot heat effect & card icing.
Robertfm

Callsign: RFM1
Version: 2020.3.11

Postby TheEagle » Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:04 pm

namosca wrote in Thu May 12, 2022 8:07 pm:1) In which file would I do that?

Unfortunately, there isn't one file where you can put all these tooltips, as they are called - for each knob, button and other clickable thing you need to find the XML file where it' animations are defined, and then you add a <hovered> binding to the <animation> type "pick", "knob", "slider" or "touch".
Cessna 210 (Wiki)
My other aircraft: my wiki profile !
Other: FGTools (GitHub)
World tour: View on SkyVector
Please consider donating $1 / €1 to help me finance a new camera !
TheEagle

Pronouns: You, he
Callsign: F-EAGLE
IRC name: none
Version: Git next

Postby Robertfm » Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:21 pm

Returned to this item as the terrain portion of the landing light has stopped working again. I checked and the line of code is still there. Any ideas please.
Robertfm

Postby Robertfm » Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:42 pm

Follow up to above. I recently updated to latest version of FG and the landing light started working again (as in illuminating the runway). Now after a few flights the projected light has stopped working again. I have checked that the appropriate codes are still in the xml and that the switch goes from false to true in the browser properties. Has anyone any ideas please. I do a lot of night landings so the light is helpful.
Robertfm

Postby david.megginson » Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:13 am

Robertfm wrote in Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:42 pm:Follow up to above. I recently updated to latest version of FG and the landing light started working again (as in illuminating the runway). Now after a few flights the projected light has stopped working again. I have checked that the appropriate codes are still in the xml and that the switch goes from false to true in the browser properties. Has anyone any ideas please. I do a lot of night landings so the light is helpful.

Oh, this is too real. It brings back memories of lying on my back on a deserted ramp at night at -20c changing a landing light bulb with freezing fingers in the PA-28-161 that I used to own. (Before LED bulbs became affordable, landing-light bulbs failed all the time in real life, too, and most pilots carried one or two spares in the back of the plane). The glamour of flying ...
David MEGGINSON (he/him)
I need more tea.
Scenery: FlightGear Americas Scenery
Fediverse: @david_megginson@mstdn.ca
david.megginson

Pronouns: he/him

Postby erik » Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:46 am

Robertfm wrote in Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:42 pm:Follow up to above. I recently updated to latest version of FG and the landing light started working again (as in illuminating the runway). Now after a few flights the projected light has stopped working again. I have checked that the appropriate codes are still in the xml and that the switch goes from false to true in the browser properties. Has anyone any ideas please. I do a lot of night landings so the light is helpful.

This sounds odd, the only explanation I can come up with (besides accurate failure modes) is that you would have different rendering quality settings between sessions.

Erik
Current: Parachutist, Paraglider, Pterosaur, Pilatus PC-9M and variants, ERCO Ercoupe, Fokker Dr.1, Fokker 50, Fokker 100
Less active: Cessna T-37, T-38, Santa Claus. Previous: General Dynamics F-16. Worked on: Wright Flyer
erik

Postby Robertfm » Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:10 am

david.megginson wrote in Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:13 am:

Oh, this is too real. It brings back memories of lying on my back on a deserted ramp at night at -20c changing a landing light bulb with freezing fingers in the PA-28-161 that I used to own. (Before LED bulbs became affordable, landing-light bulbs failed all the time in real life, too, and most pilots carried one or two spares in the back of the plane). The glamour of flying ...

Are you seriously saying the plane is modelled so the bulb fails. In any event the actual lamp in the nose is illuminated, but not on the runway as stated.
Robertfm

Postby Robertfm » Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:19 am

erik wrote in Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:46 am:

This sounds odd, the only explanation I can come up with (besides accurate failure modes) is that you would have different rendering quality settings between sessions.

Erik

Hi Erik, I don't change rendering settings between flights, so unless they also change themselves it's not that. Thanks for the suggestion. The fact that it works then it doesn't is odd.
Robertfm

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:11 am

robertfm, have you tried to remove or delete the craft's xml file in your aircraft-data directory... the aircraft-data directory is found in the same directory where the autosave, fgfs.log, and navdata cache all live... maybe there's some setting stored in it that's causing the problem? i would move the file if there's data in it that you care about (eg: hobbs engine runtime clock)... then after testing it can be put back...

the above may not be part of the problem if the lights work properly over several sim sessions with exits to the desktop or to the launcher between the sessions... the idea being that they work the first time, then you exit the sim to the launcher or desktop, and in the next session the lights fail to shine in front of the craft... if this scenario is not true, then removing the aircraft-data/whatever.xml file will not affect this...

you may also be able to test this by turning off the craft's "save settings between sessions" option in the in-sim F10->craft name menu... i'm guessing it has this option because i believe wlbragg worked on it like he did the c172p and i'm guessing the pa28 has similar options as the c172p... anyway, i would turn off this option, move the above mentioned aircraft-data file out of the way, and then test over several sessions...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Robertfm » Tue Nov 07, 2023 1:16 pm

wkitty42 wrote in Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:11 am:robertfm, have you tried to remove or delete the craft's xml file in your aircraft-data directory... the aircraft-data directory is found in the same directory where the autosave, fgfs.log, and navdata cache all live... maybe there's some setting stored in it that's causing the problem? i would move the file if there's data in it that you care about (eg: hobbs engine runtime clock)... then after testing it can be put back...

the above may not be part of the problem if the lights work properly over several sim sessions with exits to the desktop or to the launcher between the sessions... the idea being that they work the first time, then you exit the sim to the launcher or desktop, and in the next session the lights fail to shine in front of the craft... if this scenario is not true, then removing the aircraft-data/whatever.xml file will not affect this...

you may also be able to test this by turning off the craft's "save settings between sessions" option in the in-sim F10->craft name menu... i'm guessing it has this option because i believe wlbragg worked on it like he did the c172p and i'm guessing the pa28 has similar options as the c172p... anyway, i would turn off this option, move the above mentioned aircraft-data file out of the way, and then test over several sessions...

Your second paragraph is exactly what happened but after about 3 or 4 flights. I will do as you suggest and hope I don't mess up, thanks.
Robertfm

Postby Robertfm » Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:49 pm

Can't find autosave even though I found an article in wiki that said it was in Launcher settings. It wasn't. Also Piper doesn't appear in my aircraft- data folder
Robertfm

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:40 pm

the autosave files are updated when the sim is exited... i only named them as a pointer to where to look for the aircraft-data directory which you already found... i'm out of ideas...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby wlbragg » Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:54 pm

I didn't work on the PA28.

Robertfm, how do you start the aircraft, using the GUI helper or manually?

If manually have you tried using the GUI helper and see if set all the conditions needed to turn on the portion of the landing light that illuminates the pavement?

What version of FG are you using? I see the Warrior has major changes from 2020.3 to 2020.4.
Last edited by wlbragg on Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft