Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

A320-family development

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: A320-family development

Postby V12 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:22 pm

duardo_cola
Please wait, dev team working on it.

merspieler :
Route AKITO - GG518 - BOLGI - LIRKO - DINIG - SOVAD - GG507 - GG514 - SPR is 84.5 nm, direct route from AKITO to SPR is 45 nm. Difference is 40 nm as difference between TODs calculated for AKITO - SPR full and direct route. BTW, fix SOVAD has constraint ABOVE 8000, not AT 7000.
Working on the video.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby merspieler » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:52 pm

V12 wrote in Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:17 pm:but violated 250 kts / under FL100

There you've got the issue...

BTW, fix SOVAD has constraint ABOVE 8000, not AT 7000
... I guess, I've got outdated nav data then...

duardo_cola you're right to want it and it's certainly a major missing feature... but the reason shouldn't be "I don't want to calculate TOD my self". Just "cause the real thing has it" is enough.
Nia (you&, she/her)

Please use gender neutral terms when referring to a group of people!

Be the change you wish to see in the world, be an ally to all!

Join the official matrix space
merspieler

Pronouns: you&, she/her
Callsign: you&, she/her
IRC name: merspieler
Version: next

Postby V12 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:10 am

merspieler wrote in Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:52 pm:
V12 wrote in Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:17 pm:but violated 250 kts / under FL100

There you've got the issue...

Hmmm, engines on IDDLE, no noise, no fuel consumption, no emmision - no problem.
I too late cancelled EXPED descent. With better planning, this shortcut is possible without break the rule 250kts under FL100, but impossible keep 210 kts over SPR.
Code (): Select all
IRL, I would reject advice for that shortcut, but IMHO, any ATC will not issue that advice
For the passengers is 6000 fpm EXPED descent on speedbrakes bit uncomfortable.

EDIT :
merspieler wrote in Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:47 pm:Fly AKITO1N arrival using your calculated TOD from lets say FL370. Once over AKITO, fly direct SPR and the stright in runway 23(simulating direct in radar vectors)... Try it out... You will have trouble if you're higher than about FL250 or so over AKITO.
Based on the alt restriction at SOVAD (7000ft) I'd expect you to be at least at around FL320 at AKTIO.
Why don't you record and share your _FIRST_ attempt?... and we shall see...

Here is video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5HtVs5HHmE

And some resources :
AKITO STAR - https://www.vacc.ch/file/357, chart date 2019-04-25
ILS22 approach - https://www.vacc.ch/file/10, chart date 2020-12-03

Conclusion :
It was my first attempt for that large shortcut, I expected Go-Around.
In the approach chart I found speed restriction 210 kts at SPR, this is impossible to comply with this shortcut.
Code (): Select all
But again, initial TOD has been calculated for full AKITO STAR, not shortened by 40 nm.
If I would start descent 67 nm before AKITO according with SEC-FPLN, all would be OK without any speeding and other constraints violations. This shortcut is possible only in the sim, not in the real plane with 160 screaming passengers behind my back. TOD calculation is perfectly usable and it is very good aid for the pilots.

I hope, FG A320family will obtain TOD (and TOC) prediction and full vertical navigation in short time, with these features will be fully comparable with other payware (FSL, Aerosoft, Tollis etc.) for commercial sims.
Last edited by V12 on Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
V12

Postby Octal450 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:19 am

in short time

It will be done when its ready. Simple as that. Unless you wish to pay me a huge salary to get it done immediately. Understand properly implement is no "baby profile". Must be done properly or else the time is just wasted. So please, just have your patience, and everything will be lovely in time.

Even I still research how the thing works. Its very complicated. But I made some discussions with tdammers who already work on such a thing based off IT-AUTOFLIGHT technology. So things are moving but the pace is not sure. Be reminded I am still working on the new FDM, so not so much my time is on AP right now.

Kind Regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411

Postby V12 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:28 am

One small hint :
You would take into account wind direction and speed at aircraft postition and interpolated values for all waypoints of the descent path. It can significantly affect that calculation.
V12

Postby merspieler » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:09 am

is possible only in the sim, not in the real plane

If you want a realistic simulation, you would only do, what you'd do on a real plane...

with these features will be fully comparable with other payware (FSL, Aerosoft, Tollis etc.) for commercial sims

While some may say, it's already comparable, I'd argue, that more stuff, than just TOC/TOD are missing to be so.

Like the 3D model has to be merged, the cockpit 3D model is being worked on to be improved, some ECAM pages are mostly place holders without showing anything useful.
Nia (you&, she/her)

merspieler

Postby V12 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:52 am

merspieler wrote in Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:09 am:
is possible only in the sim, not in the real plane
If you want a realistic simulation, you would only do, what you'd do on a real plane...

Again, in the real life no one ATC give advice to described shortcut, because know, that is impossible to comply without break some constraints. If ATC give clearance to break the speed constraints, there is all OK and that approach is possible. And pilot can say to ATC "Negative, unable to comply" if has doubts about the possibility of that maneuvre.
V12

Postby merspieler » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:59 am

Well... they might ask you for a direct in and you'd have to request delay vectors cause your too high.
While a plane coming in with better "head calculated" tod would be lower and could take the shortcut (explaination)
Nia (you&, she/her)

merspieler

Postby V12 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:03 pm

The TOD is calculated on the basis of mathematical formulas and does not matter whether it is calculated by the FMGC or by the pilot in his head. The result is always the same. Different is pilot's prediction of the ATC's advices. If the pilot starts descent 40 nm before calculated TOD based oh his head calculation of the probability of the shortcut and ATC issues advice for direct approach, pilot wins. If ATC issues advice for full STAR, the pilot will lose and will be penalized for increased fuel consumption.
If the pilot starts descent at TOD calculated for full STAR and ATC will advices shortcut, pilot has choice - accept advice and risk some constraints break, or request for delay vector. If will accept challenge (simulated on my video) and passengers will complains for uncomfortable conditions, pilot loose and will be penalized. If the pilot choose shortcut with delay vector, passengers will not complains, fuel economy will not affected and this is win - win situation.
V12

Postby duardo_cola » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:33 am

Hello again,

I've noticed a few problems with manual engine starting while experimenting. Here's what I noted:

- The Manual Start push buttons won't light up when pressed.
- A spool-up sound is played when the line is pressurized and one of the MAN START PBs is pressed. Also the pack sounds go out, indicating there is an actual process going on under the hood.
- N2 does not rise in the ECAM so you can't know when to properly start ignition.
- There's no start valve indication in the ECAM.
duardo_cola

Postby duardo_cola » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:36 am

I also have one more question: is there a way to use airways for routing currently? What kind of nav data would be needed for that?

I have navdata installed but it only makes departure and arrival procedures available. I can't find any waypoints in the FMGC nor use airways. What I end up doing is manually inserting coordinates to fly a proper route.
duardo_cola

Postby V12 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:23 am

Airways are not implemented. But fixes should works.
V12

Postby Octal450 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:31 am

duardo_cola wrote in Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:33 am:- The Manual Start push buttons won't light up when pressed.
- A spool-up sound is played when the line is pressurized and one of the MAN START PBs is pressed. Also the pack sounds go out, indicating there is an actual process going on under the hood.
- N2 does not rise in the ECAM so you can't know when to properly start ignition.
- There's no start valve indication in the ECAM.

I will be redoing ignition on the 3D branch sometime soon. This should address everything but the sound... unless someone has a sound file?

Kind regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411

Postby merspieler » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:22 am

duardo_cola wrote in Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:36 am:I also have one more question: is there a way to use airways for routing currently? What kind of nav data would be needed for that?

While not implemented yet... you'd need navdata containing an awy.dat or awy.dat.gz.
Note that the version, you can get from navigraph is NOT compatible with flightgear.

duardo_cola wrote in Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:36 am:I have navdata installed but it only makes departure and arrival procedures available. I can't find any waypoints in the FMGC nor use airways. What I end up doing is manually inserting coordinates to fly a proper route.

For fixes and navaids to work, you need the following directory structure:
Code: Select all
NavData
--- awy
|   ---- awy.dat.gz
 --- fix
|   --- fix.dat.gz
 --- hold
|   --- hold.dat.gz
--- nav
    --- nav.dat.gz
Nia (you&, she/her)

merspieler

Postby legoboyvdlp » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:58 pm

I just pushed a July update to FGAddon! Some of the changes I have detailed elsewhere, but here is a basic changelog:
Code: Select all
Smooth the brake pressure guage
Implement BFO mode on the ADF backup instrument
Improve Nasal code quality
Add Global Speed Protection mode for overspeed in CLB or DES modes.
Improve MCDU webpanel
Add autoland light
Corrections for FMGC reset, Simbrief corrections
Improve the FCU and PFD display of FPA / VS
ND: add TCAS 2.5nm ring
Improve the system display - rewrite with Emesary
Improve light manager nasal code
Bugfix the ECAM phase switching (phase 1 / phase 10)
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft