Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

UFOv2 for FlightGear - GPL v.2

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

UFOv2 for FlightGear - GPL v.2

Postby cobe571 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:32 pm

To understand a little how the UFO FDM works, and to be able to apply it to other projects, such as the TARDIS; in the meantime, when I took over my 3D projects, I came across an old 3D model that I worked on several years ago and that lay silent among my data. To the typical capacities of the UFO, that is typically installed together with FlightGear; into this 3D model has been added some animation and a system of concealment "CLOACKING Device" of the flying disk. I'm also working on the possibility of creating a cockpit for a pilot who has access to a dashboard with instruments. So the interiors.

UFOv2 for FlightGear - GPL v.2 link to GitHub -> https://github.com/cobe571/UFOv2
"According to the laws of aerodynamics, the bumblebee can't fly either, but the bumblebee doesn't know anything about the laws of aerodynamics, so it goes ahead and flies anyway."
cobe571

Callsign: cobe571
IRC name: cobe571
Version: 2020.3.8

Re: UFOv2 for FlightGear - GPL v.2

Postby legoboyvdlp » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:43 pm

I'd reccomended leaving the current UFO model as default if you put it into fgaddon, as one of the ideas is having a benchmark really lightweight aircraft for testing; nevertheless as an option looks good :)
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby V12 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:18 am

... and with standard UFO You can add objects into the scenery...
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby cobe571 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:02 am

V12 wrote in Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:18 am:... and with standard UFO You can add objects into the scenery...

if you had the same attention you have trying to destroy other initiatives, you would have already discovered that my UFOv2 can do the same things as the standard UFO. ie: adding objects into the scenery that you mentioned. Have you tried it? Anyway I have already said to you answering one of your useless comments into another topic. I do what I do because I like it, Not to please people like you.
Last edited by cobe571 on Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"According to the laws of aerodynamics, the bumblebee can't fly either, but the bumblebee doesn't know anything about the laws of aerodynamics, so it goes ahead and flies anyway."
cobe571

Postby cobe571 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:15 am

legoboyvdlp wrote in Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:43 pm:I'd reccomended leaving the current UFO model as default if you put it into fgaddon, as one of the ideas is having a benchmark really lightweight aircraft for testing; nevertheless as an option looks good :)

I have nothing against the classic UFO that comes with FlightGear. But it is not up to me to decide what needs to be done.
Certainly my UFOv2 is extremely light as a 3D model. If some functions are not implemented, they will be in the future.
And last but not least if it works under my very low specs laptop, that means that works everywhere.

The UFOv2 has a splash, not so nice at the moment, but can be improved

And a texture, cause the 3D model is fully UVmapped

It looks this way

Kind regards

Patrizio
cobe571

Postby icecode » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:01 pm

Looking great! Perhaps you can even add it to FGAddon, although I'll reiterate what legoboyvdlp said: don't expect that this will replace the default ufo. Its entire point is to be as simple as possible to test anything not aircraft-related (scenery, GUI, rendering etc.)
icecode

Postby cobe571 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:24 pm

Icecode GL wrote in Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:01 pm:Looking great! Perhaps you can even add it to FGAddon, although I'll reiterate what legoboyvdlp said: don't expect that this will replace the default ufo. Its entire point is to be as simple as possible to test anything not aircraft-related (scenery, GUI, rendering etc.)

I never asked to replace the official UFO. As I have already said and again I'm forced to repeat: This project has helped me to understand how the UFO FDM works and how I can apply it to other projects I'm workin on. My project currently does all that the official UFO can do. Plus it includes new animations and a cloackin device system. The 3D model is very light. On my laptop that is over seven years old and run with very low specs it works like a charm. I assume therefore, without fear of being denied, that it works even better on some users' super computers. If not the problem is on your side. I hope soon to have time to calmly register and then be able to upload my projects to FGAddon.

Kind regards

Patrizio.
cobe571

Postby icecode » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:49 pm

If not the problem is on your side.

You are entirely missing the point, but that's ok as long as you don't intend to replace the original, as you said. :D
icecode

Postby cobe571 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:19 pm

Icecode GL wrote in Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:49 pm:
If not the problem is on your side.

You are entirely missing the point, but that's ok as long as you don't intend to replace the original, as you said. :D

If I'm missing the point please explain because I don't see anywhere I'm trying to replace anything. So what's the meaning of your comment? You will never use it? Thats very good. You want to use it? Thats good too. It doensn't change anything from my point of view. Really. The model is freely available under GPL v.2 and I will continue to develop it cause I like it, not because I've to please someone.

Kind regards

Patrizio.
cobe571

Postby wlbragg » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:23 pm

Patrizio, I think the concern was that you were suggesting replacing the UFO (which you are clearly not). So all is good, your UFO would be a nice addition in fgaddon.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020

Postby icecode » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:26 pm

If I'm missing the point please explain because I don't see anywhere I'm trying to replace anything.

There is a language barrier here, nevermind. Don't worry, I love your ufo, keep working on it.

I will continue to develop it cause I like it, not because I've to please someone.

That's a relief to hear, specially after my clearly abusive comments towards your work.
icecode

Postby bugman » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:44 pm

The problem is probably a language issue. The text "UFOv2" simply by itself implies that it is an update of the current UFO. In any case, there are other craft in FGAddon using the UFO FDM (the Bluebird for example). I for one would be very happy to see this experiment in the official hangar :)

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Postby V12 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:27 pm

Very nice model.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby cobe571 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:46 pm

Hello everyone,

I have the interiors modeled and almost ready. I thought about something very simple and functional. A great display on front of your eyes with all the instruments you'll need. The left big knob that's the throttle, that will move just forward and backward when the right knob is the yoke itself.

Hope to implement it into the UFOv2.1 release. Sorry if the name I choosed for this casual UFO caused all that mess. Its a GPL project that help me to improve the TARDIS, nothing else.

Kind regards,

Patrizio.
cobe571

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:47 pm

FWIW: i'd love to see a UFO craft without the existing UFO's object placement capabilities... just hover, and fly in all directions and even removal of the auto-coordination that makes the craft roll while turning which would allow the craft to barrel roll which is not possible right now...

i started some time back to try to pull the UFO FDM out and make it a separate FDM like the others but quickly got lost... even trying to make a copy of the UFO into another directory and strip out that object placement code was very trying... after a week or three, i gave up until a later time when i've learned more... sadly, that time has not arrived...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Next

Return to Aircraft