Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

TARDIS for FlightGear - GPL v.2

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: TARDIS for FlightGear - GPL v.2

Postby V12 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:28 am

There are many unfinished aircrafts in FG, but someone has spare time to make this absurdity.
But very nice absurdity :)

And next time, please Snoopy on his dog house :)
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby bugman » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:24 am

That's a cool donation to the FG community! Does it work when you switch the view from inside to out? The inside is technically infinite in size whereas the outside is limited, so that might cause some problems. Especially if you have the walker go from the outside to the inside. Maybe what you need - though will probably never happen - is have a c++ developer write a simple FDM to simply teleport to a new location, with a 30 second pause where the tardis flies through a 3D model of a wormhole and simultaneously play the theme music:

Regards,
Edward

Edit: @V12 - read the posts. This is an old model from 2017 made in context outside of FlightGear, but is being donated!
bugman

Version: next

Postby bugman » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:51 am

Actually, looking at the code in src/FDM/SP (the Special Purpose FDMs) and src/FDM/flight.hxx, it actually may not be too hard to create a 'teleport' FDM ;)

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Postby ckruetze » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:15 am

bugman wrote in Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:24 am:That's a cool donation to the FG community! Does it work when you switch the view from inside to out? The inside is technically infinite in size whereas the outside is limited, so that might cause some problems.

As a big Doctor Who fan I agree, it's a great addition and I look forward trying it.

The switching from inside to outside might not be the biggest problem. There are several episodes where the TARDIS flies with an open door so you would need a huge indoor room with an open door through which you can see the small shadow the TARDIS casts due to the small outside dimensions.
And if that isn't fun enough don't forget that it can also get semi transparent and fade in and out of view. Oh and it also sometimes changes the outside dimensions to be matchbox sized for example.

Great and fun work, only thing missing for a perfect Doctor Who experience is the BBC regenerating the doctor and turning her (the current one) into a good new one as she isn't the best.
ckruetze

Postby cobe571 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:00 pm

V12 wrote in Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:28 am:There are many unfinished aircrafts in FG, but someone has spare time to make this absurdity.
But very nice absurdity :)

And next time, please Snoopy on his dog house :)

Hello, I assure you that as soon as the TARDIS is complete I will also dedicate myself to the flying snoopy kennel but I can't promise it.

Thanks anyway :)

P.
"According to the laws of aerodynamics, the bumblebee can't fly either, but the bumblebee doesn't know anything about the laws of aerodynamics, so it goes ahead and flies anyway."
cobe571

Callsign: cobe571
IRC name: cobe571
Version: 2018.3.2

Postby cobe571 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:42 pm

bugman wrote in Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:24 am:That's a cool donation to the FG community! Does it work when you switch the view from inside to out? The inside is technically infinite in size whereas the outside is limited, so that might cause some problems. Especially if you have the walker go from the outside to the inside. Maybe what you need - though will probably never happen - is have a c++ developer write a simple FDM to simply teleport to a new location, with a 30 second pause where the tardis flies through a 3D model of a wormhole and simultaneously play the theme music:

Regards,
Edward

I added a GIT repo. -> https://github.com/cobe571/TARDIS

At this very moment there will be just the external part I think, cause I've to finish to set-up interior materials along the way and remap almost everything my previous UVmap process, going to catch a single textures for the interior part itself. My last files included alot of textures. Knowing FlightGear how it manages textures I have to reduce to one texture only. but I have to add as some plus .png for transparent areas of the model. My FULL blend file weights 125 MB right now -> the .ac I obtained is almost 87.7 MB. I'm in doubt about the weight of my files that I have to upload. There's a limit on public GIT repoes? If so, I have to cut my model into sub-models, to achieve a pretty functional one. Lately also I had an hard disk failure crash too on top of my historycal workin laptop. Lucky I have my back-ups. Now I'm working with an old SONY VAIO VPCEL. Very low and slow specs actually! Said that I want to say thank you all for your interest on this project.

Kind regards

Patrizio.
"According to the laws of aerodynamics, the bumblebee can't fly either, but the bumblebee doesn't know anything about the laws of aerodynamics, so it goes ahead and flies anyway."
cobe571

Postby Thorsten » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:32 pm

There's a limit on public GIT repoes?

Depends, I guess github is asking people to stay below 5 GB.
Thorsten

Postby bugman » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:33 pm

I'm pretty sure there is a 1 Gb limit for individual files, or for the whole commit diiff. So you are no where near the limit. Your considerations should be to have something that can be added to FGAddon, so that future generations of FlightGear users will continue to enjoy your works. Have you looked at the FGAddon wiki article? You should really push for inclusion there to future proof your contributions, long after github has shut down, for decades to come. Note that some files do not belong in FGAddon, such as Blender blend files.

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Postby cobe571 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:25 am

bugman wrote in Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:33 pm:I'm pretty sure there is a 1 Gb limit for individual files, or for the whole commit diiff. So you are no where near the limit. Your considerations should be to have something that can be added to FGAddon, so that future generations of FlightGear users will continue to enjoy your works. Have you looked at the FGAddon wiki article? You should really push for inclusion there to future proof your contributions, long after github has shut down, for decades to come. Note that some files do not belong in FGAddon, such as Blender blend files.

Regards,
Edward

Hello dear Edward,
I had very challenging and difficult days lately that have kept me away from my biggest passion. Model planes or anything that flies in general. I've always wanted to be able to add all my planes to FG Addon, not just this TARDIS. I gave the wiki a reading, but I have to read it a couple of times to understand how I can do it. Every help is precious.

Kind regards

Patrizio.
cobe571

Postby cobe571 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:20 am

Meanwhile I implemented the spinning and the cloaking device (at 1:23) .
Actually I have not so much resources with my hardware so the video below was taken with an old smartphone.
Post-editing video made with OpenShot for Windows10.

Kind regards
P.

cobe571

Postby Necolatis » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:42 am

haha, cool. Looks good.
"Airplane travel is nature's way of making you look like your passport photo."
— Al Gore

Hangar: https://sites.google.com/site/fghangar/
Necolatis

Callsign: Leto