Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

100 years Junkers F13

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

100 years Junkers F13

Postby fmg » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:43 pm

Hello,

today is the 100 anniversary of the maiden flight of the Junkers F13, the worlds first full metal passenger plane, that was build in series production. Therefore to celebrate this I made a new model of the F13.
Well, I know there is already a model of the F13 for FG. So what are my the reasons for that?
First there was a crazy idea. I always wonder for years how it would look like if you really model a plane made of corrugated metal with the fully modeled corrugated metal. I know you better don't do this, since it means a vertices-overkill. But I like to find out. Since there are already models of all the famous Junkers metal planes (F13, W34, Ju 52, G38) I choose the smallest one for this experiment.
A second reason was my interest in the early night flight. (See here:
https://forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=34909&sid=7d30897a69f7226aafaf91329aec30d6).
On this route the F13 was used and I liked to see how you can manage this flight with a such rather barely equipped cockpit. Guess the don't even have electricity on that planes. In this model there are only fluorescent marks on the instruments. Would like to know more about how it was in these days. So if someone could add information I'm always be grateful for that. The cockpit was made after a photo of a real one. So there has been at least one F13 that was equipped that spartanic way.

And of course the third reason was the anniversary this year.

Interesting result, instead of the vertices-overkill, it flies. May be you need a strong machine for it, but even on my 7 years old one it behaves well even in heavy scenery. And since it was made under my good old FG 2.0 it is also for all of you, that still use old FG versions to fly.
I wished I could offer you a download-link today, but all took longer then I hoped and RL kept me away from making progress for quite a while. Also after each finished step new problems arrived. But I hope it won't take long for a first release. Anyway, here some first impressions of what I already got (click to enlarge):

100 years F13!

Real corrugated metal

It's flying! Only 240868 vertices;-)

Detailed cockpit (not finished yet)

Comfortable cabine

Fluorescent instruments in the dark

Enjoy

f-)
Last edited by fmg on Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fmg

Callsign: fotomas
Version: 2

Re: 100 years Junkers F13

Postby unrealaviation » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:54 pm

Very,very nice.
I look forwardto being able to download it.
unrealaviation

Postby fmg » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:44 pm

Hello,

another small step is done. Today I finished an instrument that was still missing. The gauge for the fuel pressure. Unfortunately there is no real property to feed it. So at the moment it is tied to the fuel-flow. Not quite right, but I think tolerable for the moment. Otherwise I would have to write a hole fuel-managment-system before. I thought about it, because this could be really interesting, but it's beyond my capabilities. Nasal and me in the past never went out so well. Also other components needed therefor are still not there.
And also there has to be more investigation how this was handled in reality.
I guess, in the early planes there fuel has to be pumped (by hand?) in a small gravity tank above the pilots head before you can start the engine. So the fuel-pressure gauge was important to see if you have pressure on the system. I would guess, after the engine was running it driven a pump to boost the fuel automatically. The gravity tank is rather small, so that otherwise you would have to fill it up permanently while flying. There also was a trim-tank in the planes back with that you do the trimming. There was no flaps or trimming-ruders and no other way to trim the plane, as far as I can see. Later on most planes didn't have this gravity-tank any more, so I guess they would have electricity and electric pumps then.

Beside that there is much work in optimizing details, correcting mistakes going on and also on making new liveries. Next will be to make the missing parts in the cockpit.

Enjoy!

f-)
fmg

Postby wlbragg » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:05 pm

Looks great!
Kansas(2-27-15)/Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA (2-27-15), 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby msalama » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:30 am

As a vintage aviation enthusiast I'm really, really looking forward to this. Awesome stuff!
msalama

Postby LesterBoffo » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:31 pm

Hello FMG,

I had created (with my collection of WWI aircraft..) a small Nasal to emulate hand pumping up the air pressure used to flow fuel to the engine in WWI aircraft.

Works with YAsim aircraft only at the moment.

And doesn't create a fuel pressure property tree, it just toggles the mixture from 0.0 to 1.0 after 20 strokes of the mouse clicked pump handle. I have a video of it in action.. I believe my Airco DH2 YT video.. pumping starts at 0:09

LesterBoffo

Callsign: LesBof
Version: 2016.1

Postby fmg » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:27 am

Hello Lester,

thank you rather much for the nice video! Sounds rather interesting.
The fuel-pump-handle is there for long (in the foreground of the picture), but the pump is still missing;-)
Unfortunately I have only rather few informations about this part of the cockpit and how the system worked. Therefore it is not finished, while hoping to find more sources. There is quite a lot material for the rebuild F13, but it is not really comparable. They changed a lot.
One big question is, in which direction the handle has to be moved. Most pumps seemed to have a movement from left to right. But I assume it would be back and forth here, since it's between the seats an there is only few room to the sides. The shape of the pump depends on the movement.

Is it possible to get the code? Guess it must be somehow be possible to adjust it. I have a version of the the DH2 here, but it's the wrong one, guess from Helijah.

Today I'm working on the rudder pedals (also in the picture). What a piece of tin plate… :roll: Making a gauge is a real pleasure, compared to that. But now it's almost done.

f-)
fmg

Postby fmg » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:35 pm

Hello,

here some more progress. Mostly small stuff, but that's also part of the job. Finished the grease press and the pedals. And then also a lot of reinforcements to the structure that was missing. Especially the gusset plates on the sides and the bottom of the cockpit. You can see it if you compare it with older pictures. Next stuff to do is the yoke and the seats, then the fuel pump and a watch. Since you can see it I would also like to build the mechanics behind the pedals, but I unfortunately have no information how this worked or look like.
But in a few days I will be off for holidays, so that there will be a delay for a few weeks.

Some impressions (click to enlarge):

The grease press is now in place

Rudder pedals

Up in the air

Enjoy

f-)
fmg

Return to Aircraft