Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Improved Engine Sound work done: P&W JT3D on Boeing 707  Topic is solved

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: Improved Engine Sound work done: P&W JT3D on Boeing 707

Postby Thorsten » Mon May 27, 2019 3:54 pm

My view is that if the simulated sound is made by tuning waveforms so that they sound similar to the original, then this is no worse than making a texture map that that looks similar to a picture seen in a book or on the internet.
If it s done by measuring the amplitude and frequency of the sound spectrum, then this is comparable to producing a texture map by image processing, tracing or editing the original picture.

Yes. that's pretty much my impression as well.
Thorsten

Postby Johan G » Tue May 28, 2019 2:33 pm

AndersG wrote in Mon May 27, 2019 10:45 am:If we knew the initial sound sample (if there is one) was ok to redistribute under GPLv2+ then there would be no particular need to decide if the generated sounds are derived works or not to distribute them under GPLv2+.

Good point. :)
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby radi » Wed May 29, 2019 9:59 am

bugman wrote in Mon May 27, 2019 1:10 pm:Everything should be assumed to be copyrighted. [...]You have to publicly disclaim the copyright to make it public domain, and hence not be copyrighted.

Fair point Edward, that makes sense.
OSM buildings for LOWI, EDDC
Custom scenery for VHXX YMML
Edit .stg via the FG Object Placement Tool
radi

Postby erik » Thu May 30, 2019 3:11 pm

Alant wrote in Mon May 27, 2019 11:33 am:If it s done by measuring the amplitude and frequency of the sound spectrum, then this is comparable to producing a texture map by image processing, tracing or editing the original picture.

I would argue it's more like using the color picker tool to get the right colors and that would be it.

Erik
Current: Parachutist, Paraglider, Pterosaur, Pilatus PC-9M and variants, ERCO Ercoupe, Fokker Dr.1, Fokker 50, Fokker 100
Less active: Cessna T-37, T-38, Santa Claus. Previous: General Dynamics F-16. Worked on: Wright Flyer
erik

Postby asr » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:34 pm

Hi,

Is there a patch / github link / etc available to test this new sounds?

I really would like to integrate them in my personal 707
asr

Previous

Return to Aircraft