Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Bombardier QSeries

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: Bombardier QSeries

Postby Oswald » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:50 am

Hi D-ECHO,

did you look into the Q300, which doesn't appear to have a cockpit panel in the stable version?
I did a lot of flying with the Q100, recently, and will have a look into it (trunk).

Oswald
Oswald

Postby D-ECHO » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:14 pm

All panels should be fixed and I just backported all changes from trunk to the stable 2020.3 branch. Please let me know if there any issues, especially new issues due to this update.
D-ECHO

Pronouns: Bea (she/her)
Version: next

Postby Oswald » Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:51 pm

Q100 quick pattern:

Great fun to fly, flying manually appears more smooth and controllable (with thrustmaster stick)
Some instruments don't work any longer: Prop RPM, NH and NL:

The yaw damper issue mentioned above remains the same: with yaw damper on and autoflight the aircraft slips, without it does a correct turn and is easier to control manually.

Thanks for carrying on with improving the aircraft!

Oswald
Oswald

Postby D-ECHO » Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:05 pm

Thank you for checking out and reporting!

The engine instruments you pointed out where using a property that changed due to the new electrical system, this is fixed now. I also fixed the instrument glass for the lower instruments that appeared white.

I don't think that anything changed about the FDM, but I'm happy of course to hear that you enjoy it ;)

I'll have a look again at the yaw damper.

Regards
D-ECHO
D-ECHO

Postby D-ECHO » Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:31 pm

Josh has added a fix to the yaw damper which in my opinion solves what you describe. Please test it :)
D-ECHO

Postby Oswald » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:21 pm

All issues I brought up are solved, tested in Q100 and Q200 in the trunk version.
I tested the 2020.3 branch version beforehand, which hadn't changed - incomplete backport?

Anyway, thank you!
Oswald

Postby AzulProfundo » Sat May 15, 2021 6:50 pm

Hi,
I flew recently the Q400 (FG version is 2020.3.8) and found that it seems overpowered and with a lack of drag when deploying the gear and the flaps. The airplane quickly reaches the airspeed limit, even when is climbing, and at low altitudes (eg, 8000ft) requires almost idle thrust to not get into VNE.
In the approach phase, is very difficult to slow it down while in the glideslope, even putting throttle to idle, and deploying gear and flaps. It requires a long level flight in landing configuration to actually slow down.
In contrast, the Q300 behaves much better. It has other issues with the instruments, for instance, it does not show the ILS bars, although the autopilot correctly does the approach (LOC and GS).

Version: 2020.3.8

Postby D-ECHO » Sun May 16, 2021 12:39 pm

Hi Azul,

thank you for your feedback.

Unfortunately, I only have limited aerodynamical data (i.e. information about how the aircraft flies) available, so it's not really easy to make the FDM realistic. I will however revise it and see if I can improve certain parts.

About the Q300: I see the ILS indication on the EADI correctly here, when an ILS frequency in range is tuned:
Or do you mean the FD (Flight Director) bars? These weren't implemented previously, I now implemented them (even though it's not working perfectly yet).
D-ECHO

Postby AzulProfundo » Sun May 16, 2021 11:02 pm

Sorry, I was referring to the VOR/ADF display below the EADI, but I have checked again in a different airport, and it is working OK. And the FD bars would came handy too, off course. So, another update to the hangar is expected?

Regarding the FDM, I still have to do a research about how is done in FlightGear. In other sims I used (long ago) there were some apps which could read the geometry of the aircraft and then derive some coefficients, namely drag. But I recognize it is a complex subject. I remember in MSFS, there was quite some planes with copies of FDM from totally different planes.

Anyhow, my business for the moment is to create groundnet files for the AI Traffic...

Postby D-ECHO » Mon May 17, 2021 10:14 am

The updates will stay on next for the first time, as I think the newest version includes changes for Compositor, so it can't easily be backported without spending some time figuring out what to port and what not.

About the FDM: There are ways to derive aerodynamic data from the aircraft's geometry in FG, mainly these:
* Using YaSim: You just put the geometry in and it calculates a "probable" solution for how the aircraft flies. Has its flaws, can't that easily be adjusted and tends to behave wrong in edge-cases
* Using JSBSim and additional software that calculates coefficients from the geometry, e.g. OpenVSP. This is the better way (i.e. the end result will be better), but also more hard way to do. I am currently trying to understand how to do this, fortunately getting kind help by @Ysop who is working on OpenVSP FDMs for other aircraft. One aircraft that already comes with an OpenVSP-derived FDM would be the Beagle Pub, as far as I know: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=30832#p297427

For more information on the differences between these two main FDMs, see https://wiki.flightgear.org/JSBSim_vs_YASim
D-ECHO

Postby litzi » Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:06 am

Hi, found that in EHSI.nas in line 193 NAV distance should be converted from meters to nautical miles.
litzi

Version: 2018.3.1

Postby AzulProfundo » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:04 pm

Just FYI,

I have done a few tests with the Dash8-200 at LPCR Corvo (Azores) short runway, and after checking various sources (BAE, EASA, Aerocorner), entered the following data in the performancedb.xml file for the AI aircraft. The result is that the AI plane is now capable of landing without problems, but the take-off still shows the same odd behavior (prolonged rotation causes liftoff from the sea).
Still to test is the touchdown speed I got from Aerocorner page (74 KT!). Anyway, I manage to land there with a final speed around 100 KT. :D
Runway length: 820 m (with Extensions); 760 m / 2493 ft.

Code: Select all
    <!-- De Havilland Canada DHC Dash 8 100/200 -->
    <aircraft>
      <type>DH1</type>
      <base>turboprop_transport</base>
      <acceleration-kts-hour>5.3</acceleration-kts-hour>
      <deceleration-kts-hour>4.0</deceleration-kts-hour>     
      <climb-rate-fpm>1800.0</climb-rate-fpm>
      <descent-rate-fpm>1500.0</descent-rate-fpm>
      <rotate-speed-kts>105.0</rotate-speed-kts>
      <takeoff-speed-kts>110.0</takeoff-speed-kts>
      <climb-speed-kts>210.0</climb-speed-kts>
      <cruise-speed-kts>289.0</cruise-speed-kts>
      <descent-speed-kts>220.0</descent-speed-kts>
      <approach-speed-kts>125.0</approach-speed-kts>
      <touchdown-speed-kts>74.0</touchdown-speed-kts>     
    </aircraft>
    <alias>
      <match>DH2</match>
      <match>DH8</match>
      <alias>DH1</alias>
    </alias>

Postby D-ECHO » Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:45 pm

Hi Azul,

this should probably better go into the AI subforum as the AI Dash 8 is a completely seperate development from this project :)

Nevertheless, good work!

Hi litzi,

good catch, thank you very much! It's now changed in both the stable and next branch

Regards
D-ECHO

Postby GlennP » Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:01 pm

Hi,

I guess this question is for d-echo. I see it was mentioned about the q400 left throttle controls both engines. Right throttle
seems to have no effect. I was trying to resolve it myself but cannot figure how/why its doing that. Have you tried to
correct it, if not can you. I really would like to have independent control. Also great job on the plane and ty for all your work on it

Oh also it seems throttle controls work independently on the 100,200 and 300, just not on the 400?
GlennP

Postby D-ECHO » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:44 am

I´ll have a look into it when I have time :) Please remind me if nothing changes in the next 1-2 months
D-ECHO

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft