Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Canadair CL-41 (CT-114) Tutor

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Canadair CL-41 (CT-114) Tutor

Postby owenpsmith » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:42 am

After lengthy searches for technical info on the Tutor, I have found what I needed after contacting a modeler on britmodeller.com who had what I needed. I will be starting on this project, my second FG aircraft after the Bristol Freighter, in the next few days. I was close to the second release of the Freighter but I'm too excited about the Tutor now so the Freighter will have to wait :-)

Owen.
Aircraft: Bristol Freighter Mk.31, Canadair CL-41 Tutor

Learn from the mistakes of others, only in FlightGear will you live long enough to make them all yourself.
owenpsmith

Version: 2020.3.11

Re: Canadair CL-41 (CT-114) Tutor

Postby bbuske » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:25 am

This sounds like an interesting project. I would definitely be interested!
Ben

PPL(A) (2009), CPL(A)(2011), ATPL(A)(2015)
bbuske

Postby Raptor » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:32 am

wow, another new jet in Flightgear :D
I can help you with adding effects to this jet.
Raptor

Callsign: Raptor
Version: 2019.1.1

Postby owenpsmith » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:49 pm

Thanks Raptor! What kind of effects do you like to do? I have only done the Bristol Freighter project so far (see forum thread) and it is still in early development so I have not done too many effects. I am quite comfortable with the particle system for airshow smoke and wingtip vortices (and engine startup smoke on the Freighter. However I have not yet worked with glass or material effects.

I really like the stock training paint scheme on the Tutor, which has a lot of bare metal surface. I wouldn't mind help with getting that looking nice, like the P-51 in FG.

http://www.rcaf-arc.forces.gc.ca/assets/AIRFORCE_Internet/images/news-nouvelles/2013/10/056-Canadair-CT114-DND-600dpi.jpg

Also the cockpit mirrors, I'm not sure if there is a way to get those to work properly yet or not? Canvas? I searched the forum on that topic a few years back and saw people asking about it but no firm solutions.

I have done an interim texture mapping for the Freighter with some liveries, but not a proper paint kit with AO etc yet, but I am quite comfortable with Gimp from my photography hobby so I don't anticipate a problem here. Texture mapping will be interesting because it will need to take into account several paint schemes including the Snowbirds that have one continuous pattern across the bottom of the wings/fuselage, and the training scheme which includes the red/white striping on the windshield frame. So I won't be able to do a simple side projection for the fuselage. I will likely do the texture in a higher resolution and offer a smaller resolution for users with less powerful machines. I might even go to 4096px for a relatively small aircraft, even if I just use it for screenshots.

Any input you have would be much appreciated, I am still learning a lot but loving every new challenge!

Owen.

Learn from the mistakes of others, only in FlightGear will you live long enough to make them all yourself.
owenpsmith

Postby Octal450 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:12 am

Hi Owen,
Very excited to try and give feedback!

Kind Regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411
Version: next

Postby owenpsmith » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:39 pm

I have completed the high level exterior modelling. You can see the progress in interactive 3D at http://flightgearcanada.altervista.org/aircraft/index.html, just expand the CL-41 Tutor by clicking on the aircraft icon, then click "View in 3D"

Landing gear will be next, then I will take her up in the sim.

Owen.

owenpsmith

Postby owenpsmith » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:21 pm

I took the Tutor up in the sim for the first time over the summer, and am working on cockpit and instrument details now. Here are a few screenshots:

Owen.

owenpsmith

Postby Midairplarina » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:59 pm

Question when i download this and open i only get the nose cone is this normal.?
Midairplarina

Postby Midairplarina » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:07 pm

I would love to slice this model up and re render it to a 3d Printable Rc jet.
Midairplarina

Postby owenpsmith » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:23 pm

Ah yes, I just opened the 3D model from flightGearCanada and I also only see the nose cone (from the front view). Everything is there though, it is just hidden. If you show all objects then you should see everything. What program are you using?

You're completely welcome to use it for a 3D model. I'm just doing some re-working on the mesh currently, so if you PM me your email address I can send you the refined model in a week or so.

Owen.

owenpsmith

Postby kamkam8169 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:45 pm

Hey. I love the Model you have made! I currently work with a group in MSFS called FSairshows which is a Discord group for all of the Ariel Demo teams to work with each other to put on virtual air shows in association with Microsoft Offical. I would love to help with your development of the Tutor and get it in the sim! Let me know how I can help!
kamkam8169

Postby merspieler » Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:56 pm

kamkam8169 wrote in Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:45 pm:Hey. I love the Model you have made! I currently work with a group in MSFS called FSairshows which is a Discord group for all of the Ariel Demo teams to work with each other to put on virtual air shows in association with Microsoft Offical. I would love to help with your development of the Tutor and get it in the sim! Let me know how I can help!

Into which sim? Flightgear or M$F$?
Nia (you&, she/her)

Please use gender neutral terms when referring to a group of people!

Be the change you wish to see in the world, be an ally to all!

Join the official matrix space
merspieler

Pronouns: you&, she/her
Callsign: you&, she/her
IRC name: merspieler
Version: next

Return to Aircraft