Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Blender AC3D import + export : weird things

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Blender AC3D import + export : weird things

Postby Kikokou-san » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:34 pm

Hi all

I have been using for a long time the add-on from Majic79 maintained by Necolatis : https://github.com/NikolaiVChr/Blender-AC3D

However, I noticed some problems when :

I import an aircraft AC3D file in Blender
Make some modifications
Reexport in .AC3D for use in FlightGear

If I reimport the AC3D file in Blender, it is clean. But if I open it in FlightGear, many buttons do not appear at the correct place. Also, when clicking on some buttons, they move really stranglely (for instance a button supposed to turn when cliked, will move up or down instead).

I suspect this is a question of axis, that are used in the animation tags in xml files, which are not correctly dealt with between .blend and .ac3d format.

Anybody have noticed the same or has an idea how to solve this ? (else than buying ac3d i mean... :D :D )

Thanks !

Best regards,
Kikokou-san

Re: Blender AC3D import + export : weird things

Postby cobe571 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:08 am

Hello.
I suggest you to save as a .blend file first. So you can modify at your pleasure in the future. Then apply your UVmaps correctly. Look at your normals. Take a look at the overhaul project reading again your .xml files that you create. If you think everything is pretty good then select all objects included on your airplane and export. I work with Blender 2.79 and the addon still works really good at least for me.
"According to the laws of aerodynamics, the bumblebee can't fly either, but the bumblebee doesn't know anything about the laws of aerodynamics, so it goes ahead and flies anyway."
cobe571

Callsign: cobe571
IRC name: cobe571
Version: 2020.3.8

Re: Blender AC3D import + export : weird things

Postby Necolatis » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:38 am

Kikokou-san what version are you using? I recently did a small bug fix, it might have had some unintended consequences.

How does your export and import settings look like? (all of them please)

Also remember not to export while in Blender edit mode.

Can you produce a small test file that exhibit this behavior?
"Airplane travel is nature's way of making you look like your passport photo."
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Callsign: Leto
IRC name: Neco
Version: 2020.3.19

Return to Aircraft