Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

777 slide slowly at gate

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: 777 slide slowly at gate

Postby Clive2670 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:51 pm

Solution: No need to sit at the gate for hours!!! Get in the air! There is no advantage for sitting at the gate is there? If you use Flightgear tracker & planner you won't actually gain any flight hours by sitting on the ground as it will disregard these "hours" as idle and not add them to your running totals!
Thanks Clive aka: G-BLS01
Can be seen flying the Boeing 777-200LR
Toshiba laptop,
Intel i5 4210U,
16Gb RAM,
AMD R7-M260 graphics 2Gb RAM
Clive2670

Callsign: G-BLS01
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby MSR » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:58 pm

maybe the b787 has the same problem at cairo airport
MSR

Callsign: MSR
Version: 3.4

Postby legoboyvdlp » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:52 pm

Maybe? Does it or does it not?
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby Clive2670 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:08 pm

legoboyvdlp wrote in Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:52 pm:Maybe? Does it or does it not?
I never hang around at the gate to allow the aircraft to drift, My question is who just "sits" at the gate for hours, I thought the whole point of the Sim' is to set flightplan and get into the air and fly? Tongue planted firmly in cheek!
Thanks Clive aka: G-BLS01
Can be seen flying the Boeing 777-200LR
Toshiba laptop,
Intel i5 4210U,
16Gb RAM,
AMD R7-M260 graphics 2Gb RAM
Clive2670

Callsign: G-BLS01
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby biloute974 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:49 pm

Why ? Because i'm using a simulator and not a game :)
That is not a race for me and I really don't care hours of flight(theft) via fgtracker. I just like trying to reproduce at best real flights with my plane preferred on my favorite company (Air Austral). The problem is that 777 glide slowly on one side and it's a pity for the realism. I do not doubt that one day it will be corrected, I take my evil in patience. I also know that a plane stays only rarely of long hours in the parking except for a breakdown, but I also have a work and family obligations. I really take some pleasure with FG and I appreciate just as much its realism and the community of developers which work everyday on FG.
Intel I7 7700 - 16Gb DDR4 - Nvidia GTX970 - FG 2017.4.0 from D&C
biloute974

Callsign: U974
Version: 2016.1.0

Postby Thorsten » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:18 am

Because i'm using a simulator and not a game

But the issue at hand is that YaSim is in a sense closer to a game engine than to a simulation (if you'd be interested in actual training, engineering and such like you'd never use YaSim).

YaSim is nice to get the general impression of the performance of a craft, but it has its shortcomings and short of making YaSim into JSBSim, they can't be corrected easily.

The issue with slippery gears has been around for ages, and to my knowledge no patch has actually worked (without looking into it it has the feel of a numerical issue of the equation of motion solver, so short of ripping out the solver and replacing it by something else it would seem unsolvable).
Thorsten

Postby bugman » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:48 am

Thorsten wrote in Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:18 am:But the issue at hand is that YaSim is in a sense closer to a game engine than to a simulation...

That's a bit of a low punch ;) Definitely below the belt! In this sense, AeromaticC++ is also a game engine, as well as all wind tunnel simulation software, where the input is a basic parameterisation of the problem and the output is a model of the physics. There are not many aircraft whereby all of the required data for real physics simulation has been published or even measured, so in that sense all these aircraft are closer to a game. Plus JSBSim is also not perfect - if outside of the envelope of your input data, then the engine falls back to basic equations of motion. That makes for pretty boring stalls in many JSBSim aircraft!

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Version: next

Postby Thorsten » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:19 am

Actually I was talking about the FDM code, not any particular realization in terms of a specific aircraft.

JSBSim can be used to make an aircraft near-arbitrarily real and makes sense in an engineering environment. The same is not true for YaSim - there's no systematic way of throwing more (computed/measured) data at YaSim.

Of course if you feed a JSBSim plane with junk, you get junk.

In this sense, AeromaticC++ is also a game engine, as well as all wind tunnel simulation software, where the input is a basic parameterisation of the problem and the output is a model of the physics.

I disagree with this - the amount of guesswork required and the possibility to systematically improve a solution are very different between YaSim, Aeromatic++ and a wind tunnel simulator.
Thorsten

Previous

Return to Aircraft