Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Royal Air Factory "Arry Tate"

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Royal Air Factory "Arry Tate"

Postby LesterBoffo » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:59 am

This plane is near and dear.

I had a 1 and a half year veteran character in my install of Over Flanders Fields that started in 16 RFC at the Etrun/Arras airfield complex in mid April of 1917, and survived to the Armistice. While serving he became a multi Distinguished Service Medal recipient and a small ace-hood ( 7 kills, 4 probables..) flying one of the least likely two seaters to be flown offensively. Hundred or so sorties, many close calls, and 3 months in the hospital after crashing on the British side near No-Man's land west of Lille in late November of 1917.

The RAF RE8 had a reputation of not being a great replacement for the BE2e Quirck. The 150 h.p. V12 RAF 4A engine was heavy and not particularly powerful, and the maximum takeoff weight only allowed for about 250# of ordinance. There were other, better two-seaters at the time, the Armstrong Whitworth Elephant or FK8, SPAD's new 11 two-seater and the Bristol Fighter. The 'Arry Tate did have some early teething problems with lack of longitudinal stability coupled with the pronounced dihedral, which made it prone to Dutch rolling if too much aileron control was initiated. The fix was to add the subfin seen below the stabilizer, and as an operational factor, to have the observer crouch more when using the defensive gun on the Scarff ring. The gunner's body blanked some of the fin and rudder causing a degradation in yaw control if he stood up.

There were a couple Australian RE8 squads that had fitted two Lewis's to their Scarff ring's and had taken the art of Artillery Barrage Directing to a new offensive level by actively flying close to Jasta's to pick fights with while directing Arty from 9000' up.
Last edited by LesterBoffo on Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LesterBoffo

Callsign: LesBof
Version: 2018.3.2

Re: Royal Air Factory "Arry Tate"

Postby wlbragg » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:50 am

Wow, sleek looking aircraft for the time, yes?

Is this one of your previous releases?
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:55 am

Looks excellent! The RE8 was used widely as art obs and reconaissance... thus the name, RE 8:)

According to wikipedia, it had a basic form of aileron and rudder trim to make long monotonous flights more bearable!
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby LesterBoffo » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:01 am

I had partially lofted it up years ago for a R/C model flight simulator. I did some 3D refining to bring it up to snuff for cockpit view in FG, there's still some details to add.
LesterBoffo

Postby LesterBoffo » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:20 am

legoboyvdlp wrote in Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:55 am:Looks excellent! The RE8 was used widely as art obs and reconaissance... thus the name, RE 8:)

According to wikipedia, it had a basic form of aileron and rudder trim to make long monotonous flights more bearable!

Thanks! one of about 4 new Royal Air Factory planes I'm bringing to FG.

Yes, it was the culmination of a long reconnaissance design and development tree at the RAF, starting in 1914 with the RE1. It was not well received at first because of the less than adequate fin and rudder area. It would easily start to lose directional stability in a climb, and the fin/rudder would become stalled and then it would spin in. Part of the problem was that the RAF 4a engine turned a large, steep pitched. 4 bladed propeller at half crankshaft rpm, which caused much P-effect in a climb. The elevator trim wheel is one feature I'm working on.
LesterBoffo

Postby FighterAce » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:42 am

Wow, this looks simply amazing! Can't wait for the download!
FighterAce

Callsign: FighterAce
Version: 2017.1.3

Postby LesterBoffo » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:56 pm

LesterBoffo

Return to Aircraft