Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Alouette III overhaul

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: Alouette III overhaul

Postby wlbragg » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:28 pm

I tested Amelia's ability to follow instructions when asked nicely. That is really cool! What a novel way to introduce a live autopilot.

This really helps identify a solution for "part two" of the AirCrane cargo hauling, part one being what I am currently working on.

I need something similar to this, some differences might be...
A control interface that can be pressed VS call outs, like "Hover fore/back/port/star slightly" until released, then it stops in that position. Same with more and less hover height.
If I had that on the Aircrane interfaced to the rear facing engineer station it would be perfect for simulations such as tower assembly. Even for capturing and releasing cargo on the ground. It also would work for the already implemented water tank system. Ideally I would probably implement it as an either/or choice. Either as a copilot controlling via your instruction to them or at the rear facing engineer station as a stick capable of basic maneuvering controls.

Issues, JSBSim to YASIm, will this convert in any coherent way?

If not, Erik, you up for making a JSBSim FDM for the Aircrane?

Not to hijack your thread, this is a really nice concept, I really like it! I'm used to the Aircrane's control and the Alouette's much harder to control, especially on takeoff and landing. This certainly gives a beginner a fighting chance to fly the Alouette.

EDIT: Actually, this is perfect as is for me at the engineer station of the Aircrane to call-out to the pilot what maneuvers I need to manipulate the Aircrane when working any of the currently implemented simulation features.

Even the override works in my favor for the Aircrane control for cargo hauling. :mrgreen:

Feel free to hook it up to the Aircrane dev repo! :D
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby Thorsten » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:31 pm

Issues, JSBSim to YASIm, will this convert in any coherent way?

The low-level stuff is in JSBSim, so it's not simply cut'n'paste. I am fairly sure all JSBSim control-relevant tags also exist as AP / property rule syntax, so in theory it ought to be portable with a syntactic 1:1 mapping without actually changing the structure (or even parameters).

Might be easier than doing a JSBSim FDM from scratch...
Thorsten

Postby swampthing » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:56 am

Thorsten wrote in Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:27 am:The things that are done mostly yes - the things that have been discussed as future possibilities no.

Thanks
www.opredflag.com
I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. -Thomas Jefferson-
swampthing

Callsign: swamp
Version: 2018.2

Postby Thorsten » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:41 pm

After some extended debugging sessions, I've made some progress with the rope animation (especially the transverse degree of freedom) - if you change roll rapidly, it now goes to a nice wiggle:

Specifically for rescue ops, it can now be reeled in.

There's some framerate dependence left which is hard to get rid off, but I guess we'll be able to provide a general-purpose rope code soon.
Thorsten

Postby DFaber » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:50 am

Hello Guys,

I'm really impressed what. Amelia as Flight Instructor is more I've ever hoped for. Many thanks for the effort!

Please forgive my inability to produce a decent human Model, but I thought it's better than having nothing. I've looked at some Blendswap Models too, but most are very high poly and for fgaddon I wanted to use CC-0 licensed Models only.
Meanwhile work on the Walker has progressed. I did a re-write of the Model System to load Walker Models from the Aircraft folder during runtime and added the ability to enter and walk inside the User Aircraft. Here is a picture of Amelia in her current state:

Yet some Improvement pending, remember I have to adapt all outfits to the male and female skeletons.
The Name Amelia is, as Thorsten already suspected, derived from Amelia Earhart, but I was unable to reproduce her hairstyle. Btw, Waldo was named after the movie "The great Waldo Pepper" starring Robert Redford. I loved the flying Scenes. Caleb, from the Halloween Special, was named after the Main Character of the FPS Game "Blood".

Greetings!
Detlef Faber
FlightGear Development:
http://flightgear-de.net

my 3D-Art:
https://www.sol2500.net
DFaber

Version: GIT

Postby curt » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:23 pm

I always thought there needs to be stronger connections between RC modelers and 3d modelers ... they exist in parallel universes. :-)

Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics
University of Minnesota
curt
Administrator

Postby Catalanoic » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:27 pm

Love these realistic subscaled RC planes and helis
Catalanoic

Callsign: Catalanoic
Version: 2017.3

Postby Thorsten » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:30 pm

but I was unable to reproduce her hairstyle

That's kind of screaming for the fur shader... :mrgreen:
Thorsten

Postby LesterBoffo » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:26 pm

And a 1/4 scale Jet A burner..

I seem to recall making a T-Rex 600 RC 3D model helicopter into an RC giant scale sim model, with YAsim it was a bit touchy for control.
LesterBoffo

Callsign: LesBof
Version: 2018.3.2

Postby erik » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:56 pm

wlbragg wrote in Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:28 pm:If not, Erik, you up for making a JSBSim FDM for the Aircrane?

The only experience I have with JSBSim rotor-craft is trying to get the Calidus-gyrocopter to work without much success. Helicopters are a whole different breed of aircraft when it comes to simulating them in JSBSim, not like a normal aircraft at all.

Erik
Current: Parachutist, Paraglider, Pterosaur, Pilatus PC-9M and variants, ERCO Ercoupe, Fokker Dr.1, Fokker 50, Fokker 100
Less active: Cessna T-37, T-38, Santa Claus. Previous: General Dynamics F-16. Worked on: Wright Flyer
erik

Postby LesterBoffo » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:00 pm

Here's the T-Rex 2000 for what it's worth..

LesterBoffo

Postby Hooray » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:05 pm

Thorsten wrote in Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:30 pm:
but I was unable to reproduce her hairstyle

That's kind of screaming for the fur shader... :mrgreen:

:lol: :lol:

fur, grass, other vegetation - there's probably quite a number of potential use-cases in FlightGear.
I mean, the de-facto GLSL benchmark is actually called "FurMark3D" - probably for good reason :D
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby LesterBoffo » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:09 pm

Hooray wrote in Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:05 pm:
:lol: :lol:

fur, grass, other vegetation - there's probably quite a number of potential use-cases in FlightGear.
I mean, the de-facto GLSL benchmark is actually called "FurMark3D" - probably for good reason :D

The terrain and materials waving grass/crop shader does an admirable job on it's own, why attempt to model millions of little shader sprites when it'll haul down the frame rates of the average potential FG user's PC with an integrated vid card?
LesterBoffo

Postby Thorsten » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:38 pm

why attempt to model millions of little shader sprites when it'll haul down the frame rates of the average potential FG user's PC with an integrated vid card?

Because it doesn't for those of us who invest into a real video card - and it looks cool. Having it optional is the fair thing to do.
Thorsten

Postby LesterBoffo » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:05 pm

Ah yes, the 'real video card' putdown , Funny about how there was this poll/feeler put out by core devs, a couple years back concerning the average FG user, and the data returned showed a lot of FG users and potential users were getting into FG because it was ...wait for it...

Free.

Also the majority of these respondents were running older machines and OS systems.
LesterBoffo

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft