Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

ATR-72-500 Update

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

ATR-72-500 Update

Postby iamzac » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:30 pm

I made some improvements to the existing ATR-72-500 : flight model, visual, sounds, systems.

New visual ALS effects for fuselage, glass and interior with reflection, shadows, etc, which can be partially seen even without ALS.
Replaced the old lights with new ALS procedural lights and secondary lights when ALS is on and improved a bit the old ones when ALS is off (they were too large).
Rain animation visual and sound effects, thunder sounds, wind sounds.
Improved engine sounds.
Some textures where changed or slightly improved in the cockpit and a tiller was added as well as inside glass.
Now it can also be auto started using the shortcut "s" and the startup procedure now starts one engine first and then the other.

According to the official brochure this plane should be able to cruise at 275 KTAS at 95% MTOW which I read as 275 KT IAS which is a different thing so I improved speed and handling but even though 275 KTAS is less than 275 KT IAS at cruise altitude considering that the 100% thrust corresponds to 2750 SHP take off power per engine and the continuous maximum power is 2500 SHP and I assume you cruise at less than even that if you use the right throttle settings the performance should be closer to reality than it was and the range too (depending on altitude and speed and winds, I preferred to be sure that the worse case scenarios are covered, rather than running out of fuel when one shouldn't better to have a bit extra at the end, flight planing should be done based on the real one capabilities anyway).
And what I wrote above applies to the other planes I updated recently too.
The flight controls and handling are smoother now.

I might have made other small changes that I forgot.

The model and systems and all those extra details such as engines catching on fire where already great but it looked a bit outdated so most of my work was to bring it up to date to what was introduced in the latest FightGear versions and make it a bit more fun, and hopefully more realistic to fly.
To me all these effects make it look more "3D" and "real", I attached a screen shot bellow.

You can download it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/w4p0u08dfjejfhg/ATR-72-500R2.zip?dl=0 (last updated on 16 November 2017)

Here you can see a comparison between the new fuselage effects and reality:

I won't post cockpit screenshots because to see the most important improvements you would have to fly it and see the lights and shadows moving around.

And another screenshot:
Last edited by iamzac on Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iamzac

Re: ATR-72-500 Update

Postby tonghuix » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:35 pm

Great job!

Please submit your changes to this repo https://github.com/FGMEMBERS/ATR72, so that it could be merged into FGAddon
FG Manual Chinese Translation https://github.com/tonghuix/getstart-zh
tonghuix

Callsign: CPA112
IRC name: tonghuix
Version: next

Postby iamzac » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:44 pm

tonghuix wrote in Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:35 pm:Great job!

Please submit your changes to this repo https://github.com/FGMEMBERS/ATR72, so that it could be merged into FGAddon

Thanks!

This is the older yasim ATR-72-500, not the omega ATR72.

I first tried to fix the bug that makes the more detailed and better simulated omega version catapult in the air sometimes (https://forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=31384) but I ended up improving this one in the end because it also has a passenger cabin and the overall 3d model seems more accurate overall to me even if it's much simpler especially in the cockpit and the liveries are less detailed.
The omega one has so much custom nasal and xml code, I have no idea where that unexplained force is hiding.
iamzac

Postby legoboyvdlp » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:01 pm

Great :)
Jonathan
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby iamzac » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:56 pm

New update:
Reduced maximum speed, increased drag and decreased lift to be closer to the real plane and also increased fuel consumption (but I still let it be on the safe side because I don't know how much safety margin is included in the official figure).
Also outside engine sound is slightly quieter.
To get it use the updated link in the original post.
iamzac

Postby massima » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:01 pm

It is available in the FGMEMBER (Github) site but not in the main official Flightgear hangar. Why? i don't think about a license problem.
massima

Callsign: M-AXX
Version: 2020.4.0

Postby iamzac » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:52 am

I found a small bug: during the startup procedure if you do various actions such as changing views the engines end up in a bad state, with one being stronger than the other.
The workaround for this is to not do absolutely anything until the startup procedure completely finishes.
I don't know what causes this bug, if it is plane related or flightgear related, first I noticed this in flightgear 2018.2.
I doubt it was present in older versions of flightgear because I should have noticed but I am not sure.
iamzac

Postby LimitedUGC » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:37 am

Just that I cannot get that autopilot/route manager and i tried to add the autopilot but it didnt work. Any solutions? the fmc isnt working btw
LimitedUGC

Return to Aircraft