Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

What Aircraft do YOU Want to See in FlightGear?

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: What Aircraft do YOU Want to See in FlightGear?

Postby Picun_1812 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:29 pm

Piper Navajo! :D
Picun_1812

Postby V12 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:28 pm

200BasanTofas wrote in Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:14 pm:I want to see ''Realistic'' 737-800 and Max Series. There isn't realistic 737 here. :cry:

737-800 YV is not completed, but usable. I used this plane for training to my profi flight sim session. After the lesson I found that flight dynanics needs some improvements, but plane fly reasonable good. Yes, I know, systems simulation is missing, no MCDU etc. If You want real 737 feeling, buy X-Planes and download Zibo's 737, or buy FSX with action price 9.99 EUR on Steam and PMDG737 priced around 70 EUR. Because on FG 737-800 is not progress in half year :(
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:03 pm

CDU is in progress actually at the moment by zakalawe in the 737-800 on fgaddon - when it is finished it will help make it a lot more realistic!

One day perhaps there will be a Zibo-level aircraft in FlightGear... We can only hope!
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby Heinet777 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:33 pm

747-100
Heinet777

Postby swampthing » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:54 pm

If there is anyone in the world still interested in WWI and WWII planes we are working on some but there seems to be a lack of developers. I would advise the same as above. find a plane that hasn't been touched in a long time, maybe find out if the developer is ever planning on working on the plane again but I don't guess you have to it may be courteous though. I started off just messing with engine sounds etc. Finding a good mentor or few never hurts. It may not be the plane you would have initially chosen that you fall in the seat of.

I never thought I would have chosen a P-47 but Syd Adams said "have at it" as he was no longer going to develop it and now I wish I could see a real one. I really wish I could see a real one. If you use discord we have a development server for those setup https://discord.gg/KCE9TAn. There are a lot of them with models started but a bit bare. People come and go and I don't know who handles them after the dev leaves. I think Thorsten or they just hang out. I have no idea to be honest how that works when a dev leaves and a plane hasn't been touched in 5-10 years.
www.opredflag.com
I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. -Thomas Jefferson-
swampthing

Callsign: swamp
Version: 2018.2

Postby Thorsten » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:15 pm

I think Thorsten or they just hang out. I have no idea to be honest how that works when a dev leaves and a plane hasn't been touched in 5-10 years.

If the plane has been around for that long, the preferred option would be that whoever is interested becomes the new maintainer. The steps to do that would be

a) a declaration of interest on the mailing list
b) a few reviewed patches/merge requests to demonstrate the ability to structure code, understand licensing questions and work the repository
and
c) a SourceForge account

Usually pretty soon after repository access is granted and you can just maintain the plane there.

I usually seem to end up with the more complicated case when a developer is around in principle but can't be reached within a reasonable time (and take the responsibility for touching someone else's baby).

Generally you can work on whatever plane you like and the idea is that maintainers do not actively block you out - but likewise if a plane is maintained you should be working with the maintainer and team up, not work in parallel. If a plane is abandoned you can just adopt it.

(Actually, I seriously enjoyed lying the P-51D - warbirds are a nice challenge and great planes - alas, so little time...)
Thorsten

Postby dhudach » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:56 pm

I am looking for a nice Cessna 310. The only one I can find is found here: http://mirrors.ibiblio.org/flightgear/ftp/Aircraft/ and it's the c310.zip file. It just doesn't seem to have a modern robust look to it. I looked at a few of the hangars but didn't see anything. Is the above url the correct place to find aircraft? Do you know if an improved Cessna 310 exists? Or even a Cessna 414. I tried the Cessna 421 and it doesn't look too modern either. And it has a pilot in the seat. Possibly the pilot can be removed. Basically, I'm very interested in a nice twin prop, 310, 414, Beech Baron, etc. Can you point me in a direction? Thanks.
Flight Instruction Elevator Control: pull back = houses get smaller, push forward = houses get bigger.
dhudach

Postby Oswald » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:41 pm

My favorite twin prop: Cessna 337 (the push pull ...). Also quite well developed Piper Seneca II in FG Addon. Further I recommend to take a look at the Aero Commander at the FGUK hangar (fguk.me) and the Cessna T50 (very vintage :lol: ) in the same hangar.
If you are looking for a fast 6-seater take the Piper Aerostar 700, I recommend Patten's version (http://pattenflightgear.wifeo.com/aerostar700.php) as the flaps in the FG Addon version don't work.

Have fun with these!
Oswald
Oswald

Postby dhudach » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:55 pm

Thanks for the information I will take a look at the planes you recommend.
Flight Instruction Elevator Control: pull back = houses get smaller, push forward = houses get bigger.
dhudach

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:11 pm

The DHC6 otter is more a bush plane but is quite well simulated.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby dhudach » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:39 pm

I downloaded the Aerostar and it a nice plane in FG. It's definitely a high performance plane. I will hang on to it. I really would like an updated Cessna 310. Ahhh sentimental reasons - as a young lad my favorite TV show was Sky King!! The 310 "Songbird" was the stuff of dreams !!! Aside from that, thanks a lot for the information.
dhudach

Postby gdm413229 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:27 am

One of my pipe dreams in FGFS is cruising over Mach 5 using a Russian/Soviet aircraft, regardless of altitude. The fictional Firefox aircraft ticks these boxes, with immensely powerful turbo-ramjets and a highly sophisticated avionics suite. My ideas for FlightGear's implementation of the Firefox hypersonic jet is a wide range of liveries, including ones from the Soviet, Chinese, North Korean and allied air forces. Special liveries advertising the Firefox browser and Linux kernel are ideal for highlighting their comparative speed benefits over the competition. Another idea for the Firefox's autopilot is the use of a special variant of IT-AUTOFLIGHT which is specifically modified for speeds from zero to over Mach 5, and altitudes from sea level to it's ludicrously high service ceiling. Extra functions are implemented in the autopilot for in-flight refuelling, spin recovery, interception and formation flight.

The Firefox's engines are high-bypass turbo-ramjet engines with computer control and oversight, enabling the plane to overtake a speeding bullet like a Formula 1 car speeding past a snail. One of the engines' features is the unique intakes to compress the low pressure hypersonic flow to a ludicrously high-pressure subsonic flow before it enters the engine's combustion chamber at speed. The engine behaves like a turbojet at rest and during subsonic flight and as a ramjet when flying faster than sound, with extra turbojet thrust until Mach 2. When the plane is flying at Mach 2 or higher speeds, the engines are operating as ramjets for extra fuel efficiency and power, leaving the gas turbine section for supplementary bleed air, electricity and hydraulic power. My estimation for the Firefox's intakes' performance is the very high 98.5 percent pressure recovery ratio when flying at Mach 3, superior to the American SR-71 Blackbird's 90 percent. The engines are so big that the engines are started by air turbine starters, the prime choice for turbine engines when they're too big for electric starter motors. The air turbine starters depend on the bleed air system to function, so this jet is designed with an auxiliary power unit to satisfy those requirements.

The whitepaper about the Firefox aircraft is available at http://www.redgiantcreative.com/dl/whitepaper.pdf.

Typical Firefox startup procedure [cold and dark to ready]: Turn batteries on, check warning lights for electrics, switch fuel pumps on, start APU, start one engine, switch APU off, start another engine using running engine's bleed air, turn alternators on, boot avionics up and it's ready to fly.
gdm413229

Postby openflight » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:50 am

What an interesting thread. I have developed some 3D models and modified some existing ones, but nothing launched yet.

If there is an aircraft you would like to have in FG, don't miss out the Table of Models and the list of hangars. Helija's hangar has a large collection of aircraft, some not widely known.

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Table_of_models

I have updated some of the aircraft wiki pages with screenshots and reviews so you know what you are getting.

http://helijah.free.fr/flightgear/hangar.htm

Also, check the aircraft announcements sub forum : viewforum.php?f=4

For those using older computers (this one I am using was produced in 2004, and I am running Flight Gear 1.0 with some old aircraft and soon to be backported aircraft. I have backported the Mirage III and it works fine. (Flight Gear One Project) https://sites.google.com/site/flightgearone/home

So what would I like to see? The Cessnas and Pipers are easy to fly, and the faster the better say an 182 or a 177.

From the sites posted previously in this thread I downloaded the following aircraft (Cessna 177)? Licence seems to be OK to develop from there. It is a high polygon model so I have to keep searching.

https://archive3d.net/?a=download&id=f3263182
openflight

Version: 1 2 2018

Postby openflight » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:08 pm

This one:

https://www.trade-a-plane.com/search?ca ... e=aircraft

Aircraft for sale listings have a good set of interior photos. Lovely airplane, just lovely.
openflight

Version: 1 2 2018

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:37 pm

openflight wrote in Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:50 am:From the sites posted previously in this thread I downloaded the following aircraft (Cessna 177)? Licence seems to be OK to develop from there. It is a high polygon model so I have to keep searching.

you could reduce the polygons... the shuttle model used came from NASA and it was very heavy but that team did a lot of work on it and reduced it to something a lot more manageable... it should be fairly easily done in this case, too... especially by someone that knows blender or ac3d...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft