Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

What Aircraft do YOU Want to See in FlightGear?

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: What Aircraft do YOU Want to See in FlightGear?

Postby openflight » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:06 am

Reduce polygon count, that's one option, the other one is to build it myself, which I should try.

Cessna 177 it is, then. Discuss it at this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6030&start=105

If it goes well, I can update the Wiki:

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Howto:Make_an_aircraft
openflight

Version: 1 2 2018

Postby Johan G » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:22 pm

Please do update that article. I was about to do that at some point, as I think it is written like as if for example modelling and XML-related articles do not exist. I would have preferred it to more briefly mention the various concepts and features and link to the more in-depth articles for the details. Also, it could be a very good starting point for someone who is trying to understand how the aircraft are set up and work (which probably took a week or more for me).

I have a draft at User:Johan G/Howto:Create an aircraft (perm) that you could copy, but do not feel bound by it it you think it can be done in a better way.[1] :wink:

[1] I started writing it by mistake. I found a stub name Create an aircraft, and started expanding it before searching for similar articles, and somehow I was not aware of or had forgotten about Howto:Make an aircraft (perm). :roll:
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby Octal450 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:31 pm

gdm413229 wrote:use of a special variant of IT-AUTOFLIGHT which is specifically modified for speeds from zero to over Mach 5, and altitudes from sea level to it's ludicrously high service ceiling. Extra functions are implemented in the autopilot for in-flight refuelling, spin recovery, interception and formation flight.

Wouldn't be that hard. You just need to modify the IT-AUTOFLIGHT Nasal file to extrapolate the gains further than the current 350kts, which we use for the high speed gains. (near VMO in most airliners, which ITAF was designed for) also the VS gain in the xml.
Extra modes are also easy to do. You just add a new number conditional statement to the setVertMode method in the ITAF class, for a new mode. All the rest of the system is designed with support for new modes in thought.

Kind Regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411
Version: next

Postby gdm413229 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:42 am

The modifications to IT-AUTOFLIGHT's Nasal file could be used for the Firefox's autopilot as it's a hypersonic bird. [Mach 5+!] Extra mods to IT-AUTOFLIGHT could be added for following the flightplan after the TO/GA procedure is complete, and automatic in-flight refuelling can be done by reading data from the TACAN system. Automatic spin recovery is crucial for the plane as it can save brain space, your plane, it's manual flight controls and many lives. Not sure if any modifications have to made to IT-AUTOFLIGHT for holding speeds greater than Mach 1?
gdm413229

Postby Octal450 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:43 pm

It already does follow flightplans automatically after TO/GA if LNAV is armed on the ground.
IT-AUTOFLIGHT only can control the aircraft. You'll need the own logic for the refueling itself.
Autospin recovery should be an FCS function that kicks off the A/P, not an A/P function.
Just change the max limit, I think its currently at 0.9 or 0.95. You can change it to whatever you want.

Kind Regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411
Version: next

Postby gdm413229 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:22 pm

The autopilot refuelling could be done with an addition to IT-AUTOFLIGHT that allows the system to make the plane track the target TACAN station, along with radar data to keep a good distance from the tanker.
gdm413229

Postby openflight » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:58 am

Johan G wrote in Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:22 pm:Please do update that article. I was about to do that at some point, as I think it is written like as if for example modelling and XML-related articles do not exist. I would have preferred it to more briefly mention the various concepts and features and link to the more in-depth articles for the details. Also, it could be a very good starting point for someone who is trying to understand how the aircraft are set up and work (which probably took a week or more for me)....
]

Please see my comment in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6030&start=105
openflight

Version: 1 2 2018

Postby Kafovofa » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:56 am

Planes I'd like updates too:
737-300
757 freight version
Aero-Commander (arm buttons and up/down arrow adjustments would improve the auto-pilot)
Aerostar 700 (It'd be nice to see it get the attention that the aero-commander just got and a more functional autopilot.)
I like the fokker 50 and fokker 100 quite a bit, but I've noticed the landing gear isn't even positioned right physically in the files among many lacking animations etc... I wish I knew more about them so I could fix them correctly.

Planes I'd like to see:
Subaru FA-200
Aero Commander 700/Fuji FA-300
More pipers. Can't go wrong with them.
-Kafovofa
Kafovofa

Callsign: D-MVXB
Version: Stable

Previous

Return to Aircraft