Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

What Aircraft do YOU Want to See in FlightGear?

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: What Aircraft do YOU Want to See in FlightGear?

Postby Thorsten » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:17 am

I'm not sure what the original intention of the thread was - maybe idle curiosity? But threads like this one have a way of raising expectations and then disappointing them.

The reason is that there's really nobody waiting to create whatever aircraft is mentioned here. It takes hundreds of working hours to create a decent aircraft, thousands of hours to create a really good one, basically this requires teams of dedicated people to commit to a project for a few years.

Usually it also requires tons of background information if you want something good (I have a veritable library of Space Shuttle reference material by now - some 2600+ pages of operating procedures in addition to some 1000+ pages on aerodynamics).

So it usually happens if the team really likes to bring the aircraft into FG - which they do regardless of the wishes of other people.

Please do see this thread as an opportunity to talk about what aircraft you find interesting and would be cool to have, but don't believe that it's likely to happen unless you yourself are willing to learn the tricks of the trade and dump lots of work in.

(If you're tempted to say you can't do X (say coding canvas) so someone else need to do it, consider this: You'll be busy some 1000 hours before the aircraft starts being good - you won't even notice the twenty hours (~three weeks) you learn coding initially in the grand scheme of things...)
Thorsten

Postby Octal450 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:05 pm

+5
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411
Version: next

Postby Bomber » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:05 pm

Teams don't come together without a group of people talking about the planes they're interested in...

For me I'd like to do this, as it'll give some interesting FDM challenges

"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchel
Bomber

Postby FighterAce » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:52 pm

What a coincidence! I just watched "Avatar" for the first time last night, and now you post a picture of the Scorpion Gunship today!
FighterAce

Callsign: FighterAce
Version: 2017.1.3

Postby Thorsten » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:30 pm

Teams don't come together without a group of people talking about the planes they're interested in...

Actually most of the time they do by someone starting work and others joining. I can't recall any occasion where talk led anywhere (doesn't mean it never happens, it's just not normal).
Thorsten

Postby Alant » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:34 pm

Alant

Callsign: Tarnish99
Version: latest Git

Postby Bomber » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:37 pm

Thorsten wrote in Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:30 pm:
Actually most of the time they do by someone starting work and others joining. I can't recall any occasion where talk led anywhere (doesn't mean it never happens, it's just not normal).

Why don't you just die and put us all out of our misery....
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchel
Bomber

Postby Wecsje » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:43 pm

I like the idea of asking everyone what planes they want, BUT tbh, there are currently tons of planes in FG, and I think the focus should be more on how to make them better (a lot of them have unrealistic fdm's, and cockpits). IDG came into existence because of one person starting work on the A320, and a bunch of people joined in to help, now known as IDG. We want to make study level aircraft for FG, because there simply is none at the moment. So instead of asking what planes people would like to have in FG, why don't people first work towards making already existing planes better? I am sure there is enough choice (400+ planes).

@Bomber, ever heard of being nice to people?

TL;DR: I agree with Thorsten here, and people should work on current planes, and not be creating new ones.

Regards,

Charlie (Wecsje)
Twitch Streams: https://www.twitch.tv/wecsjelive
Contact methods: Discord (Wecsje#6351), FlightSims United discord (https://discord.me/flightsimsunited), Steam (Wecsje)
Track me on VATSIM: https://vatstats.net/pilots/1397313
Wecsje

Callsign: WS208J
Version: Newest

Postby Thorsten » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:44 pm

FYI - I've reported your post, I think wishing any forum member dead (or in fact anyone) isn't how we want to conduct ourselves in this community.
Thorsten

Postby Bomber » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:56 pm

You're just so miserable... you suck the life out of this forum and people talking about our hobby...

I should report you.
Bomber

Postby Octal450 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:49 pm

FFS guys...

I also agree with Thorsten, since there are so many neglected models in FlightGear, why not improve those, instead of leaving a bunch of neglected. ESPECIALLY if you are a beginner developer, as it's harder to make everything from scratch.

Lets take the A320 for example. I started it as a *sideproject* over a year ago, but it was left to neglected, and I eventually lost the copy of it. Then Nov 4th 2016, I decided to recreate what I'd done before, the new A320 was born. It was just me working on it, and it was a sideproject, but then shortly a few more people came on board, the A320 became my main project. Now, almost a year later we are about 75-80% finished, but we still have TONS to do in the FMGS, and that doesn't count any 3D work, or the fact that we are going to rework the major systems to be more complex and realistic.... it may be another year before I call this plane FINISHED.

TL:DR, it takes a long to develop a quality aircraft.

Kind Regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411
Version: next

Postby AtlasV541 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:09 am

omega13a wrote in Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:14 pm:Isn't there an A350 already available for FlightGear?

There is an A350, which has an excellent 3D model and cockpit, but most systems don't work. The flight model also does not feel very accurate to the real A350.
AtlasV541

Postby portreekid » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:16 pm

Thorsten wrote in Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:44 pm:

FYI - I've reported your post, I think wishing any forum member dead (or in fact anyone) isn't how we want to conduct ourselves in this community.

Me, too. Just leaving a message to make clear that it is not a single users oppinion.
portreekid

Callsign: PORTREE
Version: 2020.2.1

Postby Hooray » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:26 pm

I agree with Bomber in that the posted aircraft may seem like a nice little challenge, and I would have offered help with the Nasal/Canvas side of things - but I disagree with his comments about Thorsten's feedback (I do think however that the extra500 folks may have teamed up prior to creating something, so there's that too) - so I won't offer any help, because I also don't think that's a way to deal with other contributors (no matter if you agree with them, or like them, or not ... - as a matter of fact, I am not easily offended, but would have also felt offended by Bomber's comments ...

Getting back on topic however - personally, I think that in the light of our advanced weather system, but also the wingflex shader (coincidentally both created by Thorsten, too), creating a Stemme S10 motor-glider might be a nice little addition to FlightGear, without meaning years of work. In fact, the cockpit is close enough to a conventional airplane cockpit, that we may be able to reuse many existing instruments:

Close-up: http://www.stemme-powergliders.ch/en/pr ... 7bf074.jpg

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all ... t/f_stemme

Stemme S10-VT: Powersailing
The best of the best among motorgliders

Originally designed in 1984, the German-built Stemme mates a turbocharged 115-horsepower Rotax 914F engine with a sailplane airframe capable of a 50:1 glide ratio. That means it can fly 50 feet for every foot of altitude lost in gliding flight. This gives the Stemme soaring performance equal to that of high-performance, competition-level sailplanes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stemme_S10
https://www.stemme.com/s10.html
http://www.stemme-powergliders.ch/en/

wikipedia wrote:General characteristics

Crew: 1 pilot
Capacity: 1 passenger
Length: 8.42 m (27 ft 7 in)
Wingspan: 23.00 m (75 ft 6 in) (excluding winglets)
Height: 1.80 m (5 ft 11 in)
Wing area: 18.70 m2 (201.3 sq ft)
Aspect ratio: 28.3
Empty weight: 645 kg (1,422 lb)
Gross weight: 850 kg (1,874 lb)
Powerplant: 1 × Rotax 914 F2/S1 turbocharged flat-four engine, 84.6 kW (113.5 hp)
Propellers: 2-bladed

Performance

Cruise speed: 259 km/h (161 mph; 140 kn)
Stall speed: 78 km/h (48 mph; 42 kn)
Never exceed speed: 270 km/h (168 mph; 146 kn)
Range: 1,730 km (1,075 mi; 934 nmi) (maximum fuel)
Service ceiling: 9,140 m (29,990 ft)
g limits: +5.3/-2.65
Maximum glide ratio: 50
Rate of climb: 4.0 m/s (790 ft/min)

EDIT: I only just realized that there is a non-GPL'ed (royalty-free) 3D model (Blender) available, apparently created by someone using FlightGear: https://www.cgtrader.com/free-3d-models ... -sportster

It's the S6 admittedly, but may still be a good starting point - here's the aircraft flying in FlightGear:

Might be possible to reach out to the developer to see if he'd consider the GPL or not - here's the X-Plane thread on the same aircraft: https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/f ... me-s10-vt/
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby swampthing » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:49 pm

enrogue wrote in Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:50 am:The RA-5 & various F-4 are in Dave Culps hangar, but most of the links aren't working at the moment. I probably have archives of all of them somewhere, but if someone nudges Dave I'm sure he'll get around to fixing the links.

That said I'd love to see higher quality models of them, plus oddities like the F4D Skyray, F7U Cutlass, F3H Demon, F-11 Tiger and Supermarine Scimitar

OK - I guess I like odd carrier aircraft :)

If you want to talk to Dave Culp you can talk to him here. https://discord.gg/P7ajgGN
www.opredflag.com
I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. -Thomas Jefferson-
swampthing

Callsign: swamp
Version: 2018.2

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft