Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

What Aircraft do YOU Want to See in FlightGear?

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: What Aircraft do YOU Want to See in FlightGear?

Postby N-SCOT » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:22 pm

First, to answer the post, I'd like a fully developed F-35, with all variants, animated internal weapons bays, improved cockpit, improved FDM solution (tough one that), etc. Like it or hate it, it will be the face of modern air forces for many years to come.

To the point of developing desired aircraft, I'd throw out the following:

1. Anyone who wants X for this simulator really should be putting some skin in the game, so to speak. It is both unreasonable and a little selfish to expect that someone else will do everything on your behalf.
2. Getting involved is undoubtedly daunting for many newer entrants to the sim. What can I do? How long will it take to get my competencies in activity Z to a level where I can be effective? I'd encourage so called noobs that there are a bazillion ways to make yourself useful. Not all require godlike coding knowledge or understanding of animation scripting or an arty flair! Everyone can give feedback to the developers. On flyability. Seeing small errors and reporting these. Or version testing / reporting of OS and FG versions or inconsistencies between them. Contribution can come in many forms. Learning how to fix some of the problems seen is usually peoples' "leveling up" in terms of joining or participating in a development effort.

Did I say I want a better F-35? I offer flight testing and paint jobs as a contribution to get it to the next level. So if anyone out there is doing it, lemme know!

Cheers peeps,

G
Gary Brown, aka N-SCOT
Favorite Aircraft: Military
Favorite FG activity: Livery generation
N-SCOT

Location: Gainesville, Florida. Home of the "Fighting' Gators"!
Callsign: N-SCOT
Version: 2020.1.2

Postby owenpsmith » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:45 pm

RobAndrew wrote in Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:44 pm:I would like to LEARN about developing these aircraft! Sure, there are videos online, but they talk WAY to fast and in another language! I need something that is NOOB Friendly! That way I can feel more involved in the Sim as well as enjoy it more!

I am a developer by trade, but had never touched 3D modelling, animation, or special effects. I started by playing with existing aircraft; making liveries, playing with effects, and installing AC3D to explore 3D meshes. I finally felt enough confidence to start my first aircraft (the Bristol Freighter) in 2012. When I say I was confident, I still did not really have any of the skills or knowledge necessary, but I did have the motivation to start simple and build on it, while also building my skills. While I still have a long way to go on the Freighter (1st release took 4 years!) and the releases are painfully far apart (busy family life), I am doing each step slowly by reading the wiki pages, looking at other aircraft, and playing around. I decided not to collaborate with a more experienced developer because I wanted to learn each skill, at the expense of development being slower. I recently started my second aircraft, the Canadair Tutor, which is actually much simpler (less modelling detail required) and is going much faster due to already going through the growing pains on the Freighter. At the end of the day, it is all about divide and conquer. Start small and focus on one thing at a time, get things right at each step before moving on to the next step, it is harder to go back and change things later. While the wiki and forum are excellent resources, the best way to learn is by getting your hands on it yourself and start developing!
Aircraft: Bristol Freighter Mk.31, Canadair CL-41 Tutor

Learn from the mistakes of others, only in FlightGear will you live long enough to make them all yourself.
owenpsmith

Version: 2020.3.11

Postby Matuchkin » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:47 pm

Note - a "developed" aircraft, in this context, refers to an aircraft with all or most systems, instruments, etc functioning, which also has full textures and a fully developed flight model - think of the C172P, C182S, or the DHC 6-300 in flightgear.

I'll put in my two cents:

Cessna 172RG

Cessna 172S

Cessna 206

Beechcraft G36 Bonanza

Beechcraft G58 Baron

Beechcraft King Air/Super King Air
Matuchkin

Callsign: ML-F1A

Postby dilbert » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:32 pm

All of Dave Culp's planes; which, by the way, are back on line and downloadable at www.daveshangar.org . :)

P.S. The T 28 Trojan is already in the FG Hangar and can be found by entering North American in the search
feature of the Airplanes menu.
dilbert

Callsign: db1
Version: 220.3.19

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:15 am

i think, but don't recall for sure, that dave's hanger creates the necessary index file that the Qt launcher needs to list craft in a hanger for download/update... if so, you can add dave's hanger to the launcher's hangers list and install the craft you want from there just like you can do with the default FG Hanger craft... if all the hangers do this, then all the craft will be easily installed and updated ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Matuchkin » Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:16 am

it0uchpods wrote in Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:10 am:May I kindly direct you guys to: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Portal:Developer/Aircraft

Why not make it yourself?

Kind Regards,
Josh

Because I cannot and with my current focus on school + my irresponsibility I do not have the time to learn how.

"Just learn how to program"

"Oh wow thanks I know how to program now."
Matuchkin

Postby legoboyvdlp » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:47 am

That's how we all started out :)
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:55 pm

haha! that's very true, lego! some of us just got started before others :mrgreen:
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby N-SCOT » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:57 am

Did I say I want a better F-35? I offer flight testing and paint jobs as a contribution to get it to the next level. So if anyone out there is doing it, lemme know!

$ where mah mouth is. New paints at https://github.com/FGMEMBERS/F-35B

Would be nice to have an "A" so I can move some paints to the correct model. Or folks can ignore the nozzle control I suppose.... :D

G
Gary Brown, aka N-SCOT
Favorite Aircraft: Military
Favorite FG activity: Livery generation
N-SCOT

Location: Gainesville, Florida. Home of the "Fighting' Gators"!
Callsign: N-SCOT
Version: 2020.1.2

Postby bugman » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:51 am

I would really like to see a CCPM-based RC helicopter. Specifically the FDM implemented with Bell-Hiller mechanics! Writing that would be an impressive feat!

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Version: next

Postby Matuchkin » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:54 pm

legoboyvdlp wrote in Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:47 am:That's how we all started out :)

I'm starting object-oriented next semester. Give it time and maybe soon enough I'll be pumping out airframes of my own. :P
Matuchkin

Postby pavlin » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:52 pm

A380, 787-8 and -9, 747-8 and 400, 77X and A350
During severe issues with navigation on FlightGear I will not create any type of content until I buy myself new pc. That might be in years from now.
pavlin
Retired

Callsign: PavlinS
Version: 2018 3.1

Postby scarymovie » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:00 am

Do we already have Cessna 408 SkyCourier in flightgear? If not, that is what I hope to see. :D
scarymovie

Boeing 747-400!

Postby AVA117 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:00 pm

I know that we already have the mighty Queen of the Skies here... but I want her to make a comeback.

And yeah, she's 50 years old today!
AVA117

Callsign: AS2002 AVA117 SPA695
IRC name: N/A
Version: Latest

Postby 200BasanTofas » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:14 pm

I want to see ''Realistic'' 737-800 and Max Series. There isn't realistic 737 here. :cry:
200BasanTofas

Callsign: TC-NAM
Version: 2018.3.1

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft