Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

McDonnell Douglas MD-11 Development

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: New MD-11 Development

Postby Octal450 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:01 am

The GUI style has been updated.

- That strong purple has been changed to a more relaxed blue, matching the FGFS loading bar
- The Map and Canvas Map Dialogs no longer have readability issues. If the transparency causes problem your eyes, simply use the "Less Transparent" box which will increase contrast without making it dark and unreadible. The Less Transparent options persist using ACCONFIG between sessions. Set it, and forget it.

Kind Regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411
Version: next

Postby Hooray » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:31 am

the UI style looks great - is it generally available (part of fgdata) or specific to the MD11 ?
If it's MD11 specific, please do consider to make it available via fgdata.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Octal450 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:20 pm

@hooray,
Thanks. I'll offer it to FGDATA and see if people want it. For now it's just in the -11.

Kind Regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations

Octal450

Postby csabix » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:22 pm

Hi!

I'm having issue with the MD-11 autopilot.
On Windows I'm using the latest release (downloaded today).
The display says ATT Fail and HDG Fail. This can also be seen in the plane's behavior: vertical oscillation and the thrust is also acting weird.
Can you please provide link to a complete checklist for the AP (how to configure it at ground level, when to activate it and how to convince it to follow the route manager)?
Thank you!

PS: this is the plane of choice for crossing the Atlantic Ocean and I'd love to have it working reliably way before the attempt.
PS2: in case you need someone to test things, I'm available (no prior experience in software testing...yet).
csabix

Postby Octal450 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:36 pm

Hello friend,
You need to align the IRS. I think the timer is broken, so I recommend setting IRS Aligns Instantly for now. I'll be rewriting the entire IRS soon.

In the MD-11 the vertical and thrust modes are coupled. In a PITCH throttle mode, the autothrust will set the thrust to the current limit (T/O, CLB, etc), or the idle limit depending on your position relative to the altitude selector. The autopilot will then controls the IAS or Mach target on the PFD by adjusting aircraft pitch attitude. The system is damped heavily and will smoothly acquire speeds instead of racing towards them. in THRUST throttle mode, autothrust controls the IAS or Mach target on the PFD by adjusting throttle. The autopilot is then following a set vertical path, such as ALT HOLD, Vertical Speed, Flight Path Angle or Glideslope.

After making a change on the Speed, Heading, or Altitude Knobs, you must pull the knobs to activate the command (Middle click, or shift left click). This will activate the command. Pushing the knobs (left click) will hold the current speed/heading/altitude with slight prediction for smooth level-out.
To follow the Route, you need to push NAV button. It will be armed on ground and become active in air at 150ft AGL. Keep in mind the AFS will not engage in NAV mode until 400ft AGL.

Before starting takeoff roll, push AUTOFLIGHT. You will see the ATS OFF box on the PFD disappears. The Autothrust is now armed. When you advance your throttles, the system will automatically activate the T/O THRUST mode and set takeoff thrust. At 80kts, the system reverts to T/O CLAMP, and power can be adjusted by the pilot if desired. At the thrust reduction altitude, the thrust is automatically reduced to CLB THRUST by the autothrottle. You can engage autopilot starting at 150ft, but this raises to 400ft if NAV is on. Attempting to turn on earlier, results in the flashing red A/P OFF box and the "bitching-betty" sound. Press the autopilot disconnect button on the yoke (or SHIFT+D) to cancel it. The Autothrottle disconnect is on the throttles, or CTRL+D. NEVER EVER press the AFS OVRD switches down. Doing this will kill the flight computer protections and some of the FCC functions! its for emergency use only.

Does that answer your questions?
Thank you for flying her!

Kind Regards,
Josh

PS: feel free to join the discord in my signature if that sort of thing interests you.

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:13 pm

Hi friends,
I spoke with tikibar and got his blessing to replace the old MD-11 in FG_Addon with this new MD-11 ;)

I will probably put the first upload there shortly after I finish the rewrite of enginestart, APU, and IRS. As well as some SD and small FMS stuff maybe. From there, I will update FG_Addon periodically with stable version of MD-11.

Kind Regards,
Josh

PS: Yes engine start is in the works already! 50% done!

Octal450

Postby CaptB » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:55 am

Octal450 wrote in Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:13 pm:Hi friends,
I spoke with tikibar and got his blessing to replace the old MD-11 in FG_Addon with this new MD-11 ;)

That's great news! Your MD deserves the exposure on FGAddon for sure.
Ongoing projects(3D modelling): A320, MD-11, A350, B767
FG767: https://fg767.wordpress.com/
CaptB

Callsign: EKCH_AP
IRC name: CaptB

Postby Octal450 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:24 pm

Thank you! And thanks again for fixing up the exterior model!

Now we just need someone to fix up some of the liveries as some have some weird looking things.

Kind regards,
Josh

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:44 pm

Bleed bug fixed. Now packs will cause the lower PSI through ISOLs, when needed. For example, if bleed 2 only has supply (from APU for example) and ISOL 1-2 is turned on connecting bleed 1 to bleed 2, and pack 1 is turned on, the PSI will drop in bleed 2, wheras before it did not.

The ESC controls the valve to keep the PSI though, so additional packs do not cause further PSI drop (assuming it can be maintained)

Ignition is done, now need to add some stuff like toga packs and ignition packs off to the pneumatics system, as before they were in the old ignition which was wrong. Then I will likely merge master, and from there I will rework the EGT indication simulation as its wrong now and doesn't work in ignition.

Kind Regards,
Josh

Octal450

Postby Avionyx » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:10 am

Great stuff Josh. Thanks for all the effort, and for keeping us updated.

Alex
Avionyx

Callsign: G-AVYX
Version: 2020.4

Postby Octal450 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:32 pm

It is my pleasure!

Josh

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:11 am

Ignition overhaul is in master now!

- Accurate startup times/behaviors of N1/N2 shafts during startup
- Fixed/rewrote cutoff switches logic
- Simulated ignitors for ignition A and B systems, and starter logic

Pneumatics:
- That bug I mentioned above with ISOL fixed obviously
- ESC now handles turning off packs during takeoff, the logic now matches the FCOMs
- ESC now turns off packs with correct logic during ignition engagement, with the 2 minute timers simulated correctly for packs off. What i mean is, after turning on the ignition, the packs are off for 2 minutes, if there is no engine start in 2 minutes, they go back on. Once all 3 times are started, the packs come back. If engine start is aborted, 2 minutes restarts and packs comes back when that timer is done. If 2 minutes goes by with no start, attempting to start any engine turns the packs off until all 3 are started. Aborted start like before, starts a 2 minute timer before packs come on again. Packs do NOT shut off with engine shut down, even though the ignition A or B are still on (this is correct, they are not switched off after start. They make them system avail. In order to keep ignition on, the OVRD switch must be used, and is simulated)

Misc:
- Changed default acceleration altitude to 1000ft above airport, as per FCOM.

Note: EGT does no longer simulate during startup/shutdown, I will be re-doing the custom EGT calculation to be way more realistic and that will fix that. Just don't care about it for now.

Kind Regards,
Josh

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:04 pm

Startup EGT Added! Check it out guys! Sorry for blurry in the video.

Kind Regards,
Josh

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:40 pm

Fixed the way the flight path vector is drawn. It now works correctly in banks and with sideslip, and compensates for loss of lift in bank angle.

Kind Regards,
Josh

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:36 am

Legoboyvdlp has fixed the visuals of the nav, strobe, and beacon lights! They look WAY better now!

Kind Regards,
Josh

Octal450

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft