Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

IDG PA28 Development Archive - Closed

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: IDG PA28 Development

Postby OE-LML » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:55 pm

[...] pissed off manor [...]
What is that? Yeah ... right, language barrier.

I didn't ask for a "how to" because of impatience. I asked because I want to remove it from the Airbus too and to learn something about programming in FG.

IDG does not support modification of the aircraft so I am not going to tell you about it [...]; If you want to make the plane less realistic you need to figure that out for yourself.

This is totally in the spirit of open source software released under GNU GPL ... not. And a perfect attitude to lose fans of your planes.

Little fun fact by the way: EGT gauge while leaning the mixture isn't working either.
:roll: :| :roll:
OE-LML

Postby Octal450 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:58 am

Thanks for the comment about the EGT gauge, I will go fix that soon.

Well, to be totally honest - I don't really care about GNU GPL - if it was up to me my software would be proprietary. Why should someone be able to just take my work without my permission after I spend hard time on it? I mean - I am a nice person so if one asked, chances are I will say yes except for if they using it to make money, but they should not just be able to do this. I spent many many many many hundreds of hours on the Warrior and it should just be "taken" by someone and sold? Silly.

So why is it GPL? Because I work with people who like this license for some reason, and I respect them and want to include them in my project. Also, because I want to get it in FGAddon. So I deal with it.

But there is absolutely NO reason why I have to give you any support if it I don't want to. Even GPL license says provided with NO WARRANTY. Therefore, I am not going to help you worsen the aircraft's realism just because you don't like it.

But, what can be up for discussion is to make the wheel stop in its place instead and be unmovable from wherever it was left - but I find most sim pilots don't center when stopping as they don't get the force feedback from the pedals. So how about this - Aircraft Config savable option that decides whether to auto-center or stop nose wheel rotation. That way it can be realistic with a choice.

So maybe instead of complaining that you don't like this and that, we can come up with actual solutions.

And, maybe also would be nice - if you go test the wheel and steering now that I tried to fix it for you.

Kind Regards,
Josh
What I do: Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas Displays, Autoflight, FlyByWire, Cockpit Animations
Aircraft I currently develop: MD-11 (Mainly), Secret, A320-family (Quality over Quantity)

My GitHub|MD-11 and ITAF Dev Discord|Airbus Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411/Octal
Version: next

Postby unrealaviation » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:22 am

<Applause>
I am VERY impressed with the realism and attention to detail in this aircraft.

Thanks Josh.

Kev
unrealaviation

Postby Octal450 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:45 am

Thank you Kev!

Kind Regards,
Josh
What I do: Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas Displays, Autoflight, FlyByWire, Cockpit Animations
Aircraft I currently develop: MD-11 (Mainly), Secret, A320-family (Quality over Quantity)

Octal450

Postby OE-LML » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:49 pm

I don't want to aggravate our little dispute. But just for clarification ...

The main reason I post things on the forum is to ask for help. In return I want to give back something to the comunity. So I report to the developing-guys about issues and things that appear strange to me. Making such bug reports is pretty much the only contribute I can share with the FG-comunity.

These voluntary test flights and reports are only a drop in the ocean, but I took it seriously and spent quite some time doing it. (Especially testing, looking at sources about the real plane, confirming and reporting the Airbus-ND-bug/issue/behaviour when changed to TRK mode.)
Instead of that I should have better done more important things like going to the pond and feeding the ducks, reading Kafka's "Der Prozess" again or just standing on the street and waiting for Godot.

I never ever intend to issue orders or to tell others what they have to do (and I already expressed that on a couple of occasions).
It's up to the developers what they do with the information I provide.

In this case I just reported strange things about the nose wheel and asked for help. You didn't want to help me. And I have to accept this.

[...] instead of complaining [...]; [...] that I tried to fix it for you [...]
- You absolutely, positively misunderstood me.
For me ... ? No, I am not that egocentric that I require bug fixes to be done for me. It's rather for the comunity.

In the future I will only sporadically make posts about your planes. And I will rethink before doing it. I don't want to make you feel again you are being issued orders by Gunnery Sergeant Hartman.
OE-LML

Postby Octal450 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:57 pm

Dear OE-LML:
You don't seem to understand what I am writing. Perhaps try putting into Google Translate to your nativ language?

You and Robert reported the issue with the nose wheel grip - and I'm glad you did. I told you a temporary work around and went checking it out again. I then found the issue and fixed it. (Which I am still asking for you to check, please). So yes, I took your bug report and I am always happy to hear bug reports. However, the nose gear steering behavior when the aircraft stops behavior is not a bug, but intention - and makes it more realistic. That is NOT a bug. Why would I tell you how to make the plane less realistic?

I gave you also this proposal:
But, what can be up for discussion is to make the wheel stop in its place instead and be unmovable from wherever it was left - but I find most sim pilots don't center when stopping as they don't get the force feedback from the pedals. So how about this - Aircraft Config savable option that decides whether to auto-center or stop nose wheel rotation. That way it can be realistic with a choice.

And you should respond with your opinion.

So please lets not any longer focus on this argument... I am always happy to accept your bug reports, as if I was not - then I am a idiot. Just please understand that the steering stopping when stopped behavior is intention to add realism...

Kind Regards,
Josh

Octal450

Postby LowFiveJoe » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:49 pm

Hi All,

I've been a lurker on the forum for a few months and have been flying this PA28 for about the same amount of time. I just wanted to say... WELL DONE!!! I started flying a full scale PA28-140 last week and am impressed with what you all have done here. Once again, WELL DONE!!!
LowFiveJoe

Callsign: CHT0154

Postby Octal450 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:11 pm

Hi Joe,
Thanks so much! I am really glad to see someone else with real experience confirm my model :)

Kind Regards,
Josh

Octal450

Postby Robertfm » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:44 pm

I've downloaded the new version now and the nose wheel issue seems to be fine. Can I return to the AP issue. You said I should get runway heading for Nav 1 from the tracking MAP (First in Equipment). However reading other FG stuff it refers to the Nav data on the FGMap or MPMap as some refer to it. The data is different between the 2. Twice today it has gone to ALT GS but hasn't dropped the ALT or descended. I appreciate you and others have said use FG data but the information is different.
Robertfm

Version: 2020.1.3

Postby Octal450 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:36 pm

Glad to hear the wheel is fixed.

Use the FG equipment > map, because that's the numbers the navdata uses. So use those always.

Please include a screenshot as I have no idea what you are doing wrong otherwise.

Kind Regards,
Josh

Octal450

Postby Robertfm » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:15 pm

Interestingly I used the heading in the FG Equipment Map when landing at EGPD (Aberdeen) . It worked however I had on the HUD and the actual heading along the Glide slope was the one in the MPmap. The FG was 340 degrees and the MPmap was 338 degrees. Then I landed at EGPE (Inverness) again using FG E Map 232 degrees and this time it was the heading in HUD and landed correctly. The MPmap this time was 228. So it all seems pretty random to me.

As for what I am doing, exactly the same thing every time and ensuring there is definitely ILS & Localiser.
Robertfm

Postby Octal450 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:38 pm

Sorry I can't help you without a screenshot.

http://postimage.org

Kind Regards,
Josh

Octal450

Postby Robertfm » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:05 pm

Well I took screen shots of approach to EGLC (London City) which is the airport that GS didn't activate descent . Now on that airport on the FG Map at one end of the flight approach data said 90 degrees for approach and at the Airport end it said 93 degrees this time I used 90 degrees and let the approach with APT GS on longer. Then just 3.5NM from runway it activated with a FPM of 1400. Then it dawned on me, EGLC in real life has a high angle of descent. Few real life pilots are qualified to use it. So it seems I didn't wait long enough. Sorry to have troubled you again.

Thanks for the link but I already had it. I received instruction on how to use it on these pages.
Robertfm

Postby Octal450 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:04 pm

Not worries! I'm glad you figured it out.
I've actually never tried EGLC with the S-TEC so I'm glad it works!

Kind Regards,
Josh

Octal450

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:09 pm

if the HUD being talked about is the default one in FG, remember that it uses true instead of magnetic for headings...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft