Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

IDG PA28 Development Archive - Closed

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: Piper PA28-161 Warrior II

Postby Octal450 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:18 am

Hi Ben,
Can you make a video showing this in the c172? I tried with the latest c172-detailed and I was unable to clear it either. Climbing at 15 degrees of pitch just isn't going to happen for that amount of time.

I've got the Warrior's lift, drag, and climb performance pretty close to what I have noticed IRL, but I will double check it. I am going to update the prop file tonight.

Kind Regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411
Version: next

Postby bbuske » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:40 am

Well, as I said... I never flew the Warrior in real life, so I don't know about it. It is quite some work to pass those mountains, but it does work with the C172, if you chose the bigger engine. You have to go full power right after take off and use flaps a lot, because of the steep climb you are likely not getting a lot of speed.

Actually I was going to say that it will be hard to make a video because of frame rate. But yes, I think that will work. I forgot that I have gotten a new machine... :P Let me see if I can get it done today, if not, I let you know tomorrow.

Cheers
Ben

PPL(A) (2009), CPL(A)(2011), ATPL(A)(2015)
bbuske

Postby Octal450 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:19 am

Hi Ben,
You are right, it is too weak. I just made a few pitch/power tests from VSI that I noted from my flight yesterday, and it was not right. I made some improvements.

I did manage to just barely get over it in the 180hp c172p. I just missed the top with the Warrior revision 141, I'll keep tuning the Warrior after each flight lesson I get, that I can get it as close as I can.

Kind Regards,
Josh

PS: If you'd like to coordinate a time to talk in real time, I'm in the discord fairly frequently, IRC works also if that is more your style.
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations

Octal450

Postby bbuske » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:52 pm

Hey Josh,

glad to be of help. :) It is a great aircraft after all.

Well since I never flew the Warrior, I wasn't too sure about it. I just found it strange that the C172 can get over with the 180 HP engine. I can even turn straight to the south after take off and get to Caracas Airport. I even got the C150 over it once, when flying to Barcelona, though it was a pain, involving going very slow and moving up and down to get speed.. Definitely nothing I would be going to do in real life. :P But since the Warrior and the C172 (from what I think) should be pretty similar with performance, it was strange... It once even crashed into the mountains, when going to the west. After take off, I went like five minutes into a c limb, until I reached the mountains over there and it didn't get past them.

That was when I was making a flight training video about VOR usage for a training class I was giving... There is a VOR station right in the middle of those mountains, just about 10 nm out of SVMI, so it is nice for training and demonstration, since it is a quick flight and once there, you can go back right to SVMI, which has an NDB. This way I can easily show both navigational tools in just one short flight. lol anyway... it was quite embarrassing and annoying because I had to do it all over again and well... I am not used to crashing.... :P hurts...

Oh well let me know when the update is on and I am giving it another try? I take it that you don't need the video anymore?

EDIT: BTW, SVMI is great for several kind of testing. First of all it is not an easy airport in regards of approach and departure and secondly, it has two airports very close by where you have to pass the mountains. Also there are VOR stations nearby and NDBs, SVMI has ILS approach and if you head north, over the ocean, it takes you about an hour or a bit longer to go to Curacao or Aruba. Especially if you want to do some overland flying, navigational / instrument training or if you are looking into performance testing, it is great. Most airports I found in FG so far, are fairly flat, so there is not much force required after takeoff.

Ugh, well I am around pretty much all day (EST). I am just not hanging around on discord a lot, because it distracts me from work too much... :P but you can let me know a time and I can hop on... Noi issues here.. It's really just about firing up Discord.

Cheers
Ben

bbuske

Postby Octal450 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:38 pm

Hi Ben,
Thanks for the detailed information. I will continue to improve it. Please try the latest version, it should be better at climbing! I'm available usually around 19-20Z each day (but some days it might be different)

Kind Regards,
Josh

Octal450

Postby bbuske » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:00 am

Hey,

let me fire up FG and have a look then.
Well, today it is already late and I am somewhat busy - trying to finish some work here. We could set something up tomorrow. 1900z is just about 3:00PM here, so that should be fine.
Give a bit and I will let you know about the new changes made.

Cheers
Ben

bbuske

Postby Octal450 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:50 am

Great, thanks!

Airspeed and VSI are now delayed slightly, just like the real craft. VSI uses my own custom calculation now, no longer the "stock" instrument, now it behaves more like the real one.

Also, I modeled the optional flight director in the S-TEC 55X, so that is now a user configurable option:
(If the optional flight director is not equipped, these bars and the horizon indicator return to the classic one)

Don't expect it to be perfect and accurate like the ones in my airliners, the S-TEC 55X's flight director is not like that! Fly smoothly, and don't use harsh or rapid inputs, and it will be fine. Start moving around like nuts, and you'll have a tough time following it accurately. (Also, make sure the AP master switch is set to "FD", not "AP/FD", or you will not be able to fly the director, because the AP servos will be active and controlling the plane also)

Kind Regards,
Josh

Octal450

Postby bbuske » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:02 am

Cool!

Sounds interesting and looks really good.

Didn't get a chance to have a look yet. Given the time, probably tomorrow morning. I just downloaded an update for it though.
Gonna let you know. And no worries.. heh, FP in smaller aircraft are like that. In fact it is a bonus that it has one, unlike many other aircraft.

Cheers
Ben

bbuske

Postby Octal450 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:10 am

Thanks Ben! Don't worry, take your time! :D

The Warrior(s) I fly in real life do not have the optional flight director or remote annunciator (hopefully modeled soon), but a few guys who own planes at the airport there do have them, so I know they could exist. However, most aircraft with the FD just put in an EFIS system, whether just an EADI/EHSI, or a full glass cockpit like G1000. I have no plans to put a full glass in the warrior, maybe the future I will add an EADI/EHSI, but not anytime soon.

Josh

Octal450

Postby bbuske » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:17 pm

Hey Josh,

OK, so I did a quick flight just now. I noticed that the aircraft performs better now and also the flight model seems to be smoother... or it was like that, because I had been doing a flight on X-Plane before lol. Still great work.

As for the G1000 or an EFIS... no rush, I think the Warrior is fine as it is and also the base model and performance, etc. should be optimized first, bugs fixed, and so on before any major additional functionality is added. You know how it is.. Those will likely cause more, new bugs, which give headaches, cost time and delay development... :P

Oh, also I am on Discord now, though I think I am a bit late.. lol
Ben

bbuske

Postby Octal450 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:09 pm

Hi Ben,
great to hear.

Yeah it was a future thought. I don't plan on it until the plane is near V1.0.

It is 19Z now, so you may want to check your UTC clock ;)

Kind Regards,
Josh

Octal450

Postby bbuske » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:00 pm

Heh, I couldn´t make it.

I am there now though. Also got the client, so I don't have to hop onto the web page. Should make things easier. Once you are around, give me a shout. Nick on Discord is the same as here on the forums.

Cheers
Ben

bbuske

Postby Octal450 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:40 am

Alright will do.

J

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:03 am

Thanks to pinto, the RPM indicator is now correct!

Kind Regards,
Josh

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:43 am

I added normal and emergency checklists taken exactly from the real warrior I fly.

I omitted the exterior checks because they are not possible in sim, and the open door emergency checklist is there, but commented out because it is again, not possible in sim.

Kind Regards,
Josh

Octal450

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft