Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

IDG PA28 Development Archive - Closed

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: IDG PA28 Development

Postby wlbragg » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:38 am

Typically once you have cloned the master branch, and that is the only branch you have, you can just do the equivalent of...

Start Git Gui
in the menu select...
remote/fetch from origin
and then in another part of the menu select
merge/local merge

That's it, your done and it is updated to the most current version.

In the simplest of terms what Git does when you pull from the master branch is to give you the most recent version of that branch by adding only the changed files VS everything all over again. Think of incremental backups and the way they work. When you do an incremental backup it only saves data that is new or changed. This works in reverse and adds to your aircraft directory only the files that are new or changed. You don't really have to know or care what files have changes so long as the repository manager tells you what branch to use to keep current. Typically it is the "master" branch. It is is all the repos I manage. I add all my new stuff to the master repo and I try to make sure that branch is always stable. Some do it differently and use versions and what not. But I gathered your looking for the latest development.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby Robertfm » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:46 am

Which post are your responding to. I resolved the non starting issue. As I posted above. The issue over Git was merely it being suggested as the better alternative to your download popup when I start plane. My point was with so many links on your Git page I would have no idea which to use.
Robertfm

Callsign: RFM1
Version: 2020.3.11

Postby Robertfm » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:53 am

wlbragg wrote in Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:38 am:Typically once you have cloned the master branch, and that is the only branch you have, you can just do the equivalent of...

Start Git Gui
in the menu select...
remote/fetch from origin
and then in another part of the menu select
merge/local merge

That's it, your done and it is updated to the most current version.

In the simplest of terms what Git does when you pull from the master branch is to give you the most recent version of that branch by adding only the changed files VS everything all over again. Think of incremental backups and the way they work. When you do an incremental backup it only saves data that is new or changed. This works in reverse and adds to your aircraft directory only the files that are new or changed. You don't really have to know or care what files have changes so long as the repository manager tells you what branch to use to keep current. Typically it is the "master" branch. It is is all the repos I manage. I add all my new stuff to the master repo and I try to make sure that branch is always stable. Some do it differently and use versions and what not. But I gathered your looking for the latest development.

But how do you clone the master and where do you actually put it. I noticed the clone button.
Robertfm

Postby wlbragg » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:08 pm

suggested as the better alternative to your download popup when I start plane

I'm not familiar with the "download popup", that might only get you the current "stable" version and you may be wanting new changes as they are first put into master that fix things or add new features that are not in the stable version yet.

I can't answer those types of questions, that's up to you. Octal450 is in a way better position to make those suggestions. I'm only trying to inform you that if you are wanting the "cutting edge" changes that are being added to the aircraft before they are officially released that using GIT it the best way to do it.

It does require some basic knowledge of FilghtGear aircraft file structure and knowing how to point at different aircraft locations in the QT launcher or whatever startup GUI you use or even command line startup if that is what your doing.

The basic workflow is

Clone master using GIT command line or GIT GUI to a file folder (directory) named appropriately for the aircraft to find its own files.
Point your FlightGear launcher of choice to that file folder (directory).

At that point you see the choice of that aircraft version in your list of aircraft's, you also still see the "stable version" wherever that is originally located. You can choose either to fly.

When it comes time to update the "stable version" I assume you run the "Update" option in the FlightGear GUI or the Update option in the Aircraft GUI that Octal450 provides, but only when your actually running that version, not when your running the GIT master version.

When you want to update the GIT master version you use GIT or GIT GUI as I suggested above to update it.

Bottom line there is you have an independent copy of the "stable" released version and a copy of the master GIT version. Both versions are updated using a different method. One version is the "official release" the other version is the "cutting edge" version.
wlbragg

Postby wlbragg » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:29 pm

But how do you clone the master and where do you actually put it. I noticed the clone button.

You can put it wherever you want. I suggest in a folder that is separate from any other aircraft folders for FlightGear with a name like Custom Aircraft. Inside the folder "Custom Aircraft" you add (clone) the aircraft name folder with all the files for that aircraft in it. You can add other "cutting edge" aircraft in folders of their names also.

Cloning it can be done using the button you mentioned or using the GIT GUI application. There are things you need to know as to how to use the GIT GUI program.
Some of this requires you doing some reading and learning how to do this stuff. Instructions are out there and it isn't difficult at all once youv'e learned some of it. Instructions are generally already out there. You need to do a little research and read the documentation.

It is fair to ask for details when you get stuck or don't understand something, most users will help you.
wlbragg

Postby Robertfm » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:12 pm

Thank you taking the time to explain this.
Robertfm

Postby Octal450 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:40 am

Thanks for explaining Wayne. Much better than my explanation would have been.

Kind Regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411

Re: IDG PA28 Development Archive - Closed

Postby bugman » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:01 am

A number of posts were merged into the topic Boom.
bugman

Previous

Return to Aircraft