Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

IDG PA28 Development Archive - Closed

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: IDG PA28 Development

Postby Robertfm » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:13 pm

Re the last post from LML I have experienced that several times. For what it's worth it happens if you advance the throttle without brake on. With brake on, then off once throttle is up to maximum it's fine.

Going back to Route Manager question on other thread, I've found a copy of the manual. It's for a real unit. On a related matter. It could be me but the HDG control knob will only go in one direction is that how it is supposed to work. On the generic AP you simply put the actual number in, and can use both HDG & True heading.
Robertfm

Callsign: RFM1
Version: 2020.3.11

Postby Octal450 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:41 pm

Hi,
OE-LMLs issue could not be reproduced - maybe you provide a video and I can try it better? Try with not fully rudder - JSBsim gear can be a bit dumb at times and full deflection might be not work. I can control the easily without problems - if it makes alot of problems I can try to make a improvements.

I sent you the link to the real S-TEC unit, the knob itself can be rotated either way using scroll wheel I believe left click does increase and middle click does decrease.

I realized I need to update the knob itself, to match my new standards.
I don't know if the stupid scroll reversal was fixed in the <knob> animation yet - if so I might add that. I'll have to mess around with it.

Once I updated it, it should be as follows:
SHIFT+scroll witll do +- 10 instead of +-1, and CTRL with either SHIFT or non SHIFT will do same steps but for offset deg on the NSA360. I'll put a post here once the scrolling behavior is updated.

Kind Regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411
Version: next

Postby Robertfm » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:27 pm

Did you mean right click & scroll, not middle?

Route Manager and ILS approach. As you will know with the generic Route Manager, you set the route then with AP on it follows the route including automatically following altitude. On approach it automatically descends to Glide Slope altitude and at that point you activate GS & CDI.

With the S-Tec I set the Route manager as normal and it recognised the route OK however I had to set Altitude hold manually. On approach it followed the route as it should however it never descended automatically to Glideslope altitude. I pressed the Approach button but nothing happened so I disconnected AP and manually descended. What am I doing wrong. I read the localiser section of the manual which seems to say I have to set final approach heading, but I was already on it.

As for video is there an F button for that.
Robertfm

Postby Octal450 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:08 pm

I mean middle click, when you click down the scroll wheel on you mouse.

Well sorry but the generic autopilot is unrealistic rubbish and keep in mind you are flying a General Aviation aircraft with an autopilot suited for that - if you think you get any VNAV guidance whatsoever (which even the generic autopilot barely has, just extremely basic altitude logic which is annoying cause it always get the descent rate wrong cause generic a/p is rubbish) then you are flying the wrong plane. You need to do that.

We model the software revision 6 by the way (you can see a 6 appear during the self test). If you read the POH better it explains it all, but I will try to summarize best I can.

The change heading for localizer is only for the "DG Panel" not the "HSI Panel" because on the DG panel, the autopilot does not talk to the OBS for heading, so it does not know the course. So the heading bug is used to know the course. It will follow the localizer arm though. However, the "HSI Panel" since the HSI combines a DG and a OBS, the autopilot can use the course knob on the HSI directly for VOR/LOC.

For Approach, the button APR just makes the NAV mode (VOR/LOC) more sensitive to deviations, so that it tracks closer to the center than VORs. To engage GS arm, the following MUST bet true:
- NAV APR engaged
- ALT engaged
- both NAV and GS error flags are not visible in HSI/OBS
- the NAV radio (whichever is selected) is tuned to a LOC frequency, not VOR
- LOC deviation is 50% or lower
- at least 10% below GS

You will notice next to ALT will appear a GS light. once it gets to 5% below GS, the ALT light goes away and only GS is lit, and you will now descending to follow the GS. If a fuck-shit happens and the GS does not engage for whatever reason, you can press "ALT" and immediately it will switch to GS mode - possibly with an abrupt pitch change - which we have modelled as described.

What do you mean an "F" button for that?

Kind Regards,
Josh

Kind Regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations

Octal450

Postby Robertfm » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:15 pm

Thanks for the explanation. What I meant by F button for taking a screen shot you used F3. I wondered if there was similar for video capture which you asked for to show movement to the left on starting roll.
Robertfm

Postby Octal450 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:35 pm

Hi,
No. Please use screen recording software like OBS.

Kind Regards,
Josh

Octal450

Postby Robertfm » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:07 pm

Seriously odd I earlier sent you a message (as in this morning) which is not here. It was basically to say I have tried to do a video capture and succeeded however no idea where it went after using F8 as they instructed to save. All the various videos tell you how to capture the screen not how to find it again.

Anyway here is what happens as accurately as I can.

1. Start engine, this starts with brake off.
2. Advance throttle and the plane immediately moves off to the left off the runway, no matter if I use full right rudder. Does it every time for me.

3. Starting the engine then setting the parking brake.
4. Advance throttle plane stays where it is.
5. Release Parking brake and plane takes off as it should.
6 When you land and stop it stays where it is and will then take off as normal.
Last edited by Robertfm on Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robertfm

Postby Robertfm » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:17 pm

Now back to AP. I really don't know what I am doing wrong.

I Put details in Route Manager as previously have done. I take off then climb to about 1000ft. I then press Nav button twice and the GPSS shows up and the plane starts to follow flight plan. I then use VS to get to required altitude which in UK is about 4000ft. I then press ALT and trim off altitude with up/dn buttons. I then set LOC in Nav 1 radio. The plane travels along quite happily and then for no apparent reason it decides to go off course or simply do tight circles. On another occasion I Managed to get Approach button to activate but it turned the plane off course doing a 90 degree turn , obviously away from the GS which never activates. At this tine the Localiser morse is active.

I never have this problem with generic AP which I know you don't like. So any ideas I am using the HSI panel so if I'm reading the Manual properly means it should follow the route in the Route Manager.
Robertfm

Postby Johan G » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:24 pm

Robertfm wrote in Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:07 pm:Anyway here is what happens as accurately as I can.

1. Start engine, this starts with brake off.
2. Advance throttle and the plane immediately moves off to the left off the runway, no matter if I use full right rudder. Does it every time for me.

3. Starting the engine then setting the parking brake.
4. Advance throttle plane stays where it is.
5. Release Parking brake and plane takes off as it should.
6 When you land and stop it stays where it is and will then take off as normal.

While it for example could just be a sudden wind gust, that setting and releasing the parking brake helps make it seem like it initializes with the left brake applied.

Exploring the landing gear properties in the property browser (permalink) should shed some light on that.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby Robertfm » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:22 pm

I think you misunderstand. It doesn't do it when the brake is applied, only releasing the brake after advancing the throttle it behaves as it should,
Robertfm

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:30 pm

he's saying that when the craft, inits, it may start with the left brake set... you likely won't see this unless maybe the brake pedals snow it if you look at the floor...

so when you start the craft without setting the brake and then advance the throttle, the left brake may pull the craft to the left... if you set the brake and then release it, both left and right are released as desired...

it may be a bug in the craft... your steps to reproduce it may lead the craft devs to find and fix it...

does that help?
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Robertfm » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:56 pm

Yep I understood that. I will check the brakes next time . It's the AP I don't get.
Robertfm

Postby Octal450 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:08 pm

That's not the case at all wkitty, I check for these things always. There is nothing wrong with the brakes.

It is because JSBsim is VERY WEIRD with nose gears. Don't use full - that is silly - use just enough as required and it will work. Gear friction has never been right in JSBsim and we can only fix it so much - eventually I'll make a bug report or something but I need to collect more details.

In regards to the A/P - I just tested it and it works perfectly which means you are doing something wrong - unlike the generic - this works like a real autopilot. So you need to make a video or something. It works just as it does in the real plane which I have experienced in person!

Johan - why are you telling non-developer users to poke around randomly at the property tree? That is a BAD idea. If something gets messed up then the systems will stop working, the simulation will stop and aircraft config will throw up 0x247 "System files are missing or damaged. Please download a new copy of the aircraft." error. Non-developers should stay OUT of the property tree unless they are being asked to view/set a specific value as directed by IDG Team Member for debugging.

Kind Regards,
Josh

Octal450

Postby Robertfm » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:42 pm

Josh, I have outlined how I have been setting the AP. Is there anything in what I've said that appears to be incorrect.
Robertfm

Postby Octal450 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:50 pm

Not from what you said - send a video and I can say.

Kind Regards,
Josh

Octal450

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft