Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

IDG PA28 Development Archive - Closed

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: IDG PA28 Development

Postby Octal450 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:26 pm

I said its an optional step. If you are OUTSIDE the capture envelope of the autopilot, holding HDG for a sec, then pressing NAV will cause the NAV mode to flash (and APR if selected) and it will keep following HDG, until the aircraft crosses the intercept envelope. Then it will switch to NAV (or NAV APR) and HDG will switch off.

Kind Regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411
Version: next

Postby Robertfm » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:40 pm

I am guessing for it to work you still need to be quite. It worked on two occasions when I was just outside the chevron's but not when the equivalent on 2NM then the plane turned away 90 degrees.
Robertfm

Callsign: RFM1
Version: 2020.3.11

Postby Octal450 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:39 am

I have no idea what you mean by "chevon". If you want to follow ILS, you should do it at the recommend intercept point.

And it wouldn't turn 90 degrees away. Maximum authority is 45. If it turned 90, then you didn't set your course right or aren't in NAV mode.

Kind Regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations

Octal450

Postby Robertfm » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:18 am

The chevron I refer to is the 'arrow flight' of the approach indicator where the data is in the tracking map. I do actually know what 90 degrees looks like. I use the FG map with moving plane so can see the angle of turn as it has a 'vapour' trail. In any event it's no big deal.
Robertfm

Postby OE-LML » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:17 am

Hallo!

As my name was mentioned some posts before ... :wink:

About the very early grip-loosing nose gear on higher deflections:
Sorry, I didn't report on GitHub as you told me some time ago, because at the moment I don't have an account there.

Taxiing and taking off on grass is no fun with that behaviour.
Also imagine you want to vacate the runway quickly to the right. Step in the rudder and push in some throttle. The plane goes straight and you end up in the grass. :mrgreen:

In my opinion the auto-centering nose gear intensifies it. Could you tell me a foolproof way to disable it, please?

CU.
OE-LML

Postby Octal450 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:56 pm

Robert, that's impossible sorry. Unless you set the course wrong it can't happen. Make another video.

@OE-LML
No, I'm not removing the auto centering. It has nothing to do with that. Just don't put full input in like that immediately. Use less. I will work on the friction by I can only do so much ultimately. All JSB (and actually also Yasim) aircraft seem to have this flaw and we can only fix it so much.

Kind Regards,
Josh

Octal450

Postby Robertfm » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:53 pm

As I said it's not a big deal, if I recall which airport it was I will try again. with video.
Robertfm

Postby OE-LML » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:44 pm

The default C172 doesn't loose grip like that.

The auto-center-nose gear "intensifies" it, because at very low speeds it keeps centered and doesn't move. I think removing it will help to improve handling on grass.
I personally want to disable it. There's no need that you remove it, I just ask(ed) for some foolproof instruction how to do it.
OE-LML

Postby Octal450 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:46 pm

@OE-LML.
That has nothing to do with the auto-center. It happens at speeds lower than 0.5kt, because at that speeds, you cannot turn the wheel in the real aircraft. It won't move. I tested that myself. It is the grip. As I said, I am going to look into it. So, why don't you let me do that so I can fix the problem?

Kind Regards,
Josh

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:54 pm

Dear Robert,
From your video:
HDG with flashing NAV APR means that HDG is active, and NAV APR is armed. So it went to the heading bug which you had set at 0. It looks like it isn't illuminated properly by the night lighting, I will fix that now.

Why did you not just go into NAV APR directly by pushing NAV (and then APR if needed)? HDG + NAV APR is only used if you need to follow a specific heading to until intercept (such as one given by ATC)

Kind Regards,
Josh

Octal450

Postby Robertfm » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:27 pm

I am using the other method. I was just trying the it out as you put it in the video. So what you are saying is if the same course, in this case was set in HDG it wouldn't change direction. As I said in my email another video on GPS/ILS by FG stated that if HSI is used there is no need to alter heading. In DG you have to. That's why I was confused.

I relation to AP is there anyway to program a switch to switch it off. I can't see a programmable function in Joystick calibration.
Robertfm

Postby Octal450 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:58 pm

Well, yes. in HSI panel you don't need to set HDG. In DG panel, you need to set HDG to runway course, but only when NAV APR engages. If you are in HDG, you need to have it set to the heading you want to follow. It is not a heading hold, it is a heading select. It will follow the bug.

Code: Select all
libraries.APPanel.APDisc();
will work in ANY IDG aircraft.

Kind Regards,
Josh

Octal450

Postby OE-LML » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:41 pm

I have no idea why you respond in such a pissed off manner. You can do whatever whenever you want, it's up to you.

I just asked you kindly, if you could tell me how to remove it.
Because:
OE-LML wrote in Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:44 pm:I personally want to disable it.

Indirectly it has something to do with auto-center. Due to the propeller caused effects the plane starts immediately to pull to the left. Even if it's only until 1/2 knot or a very small period of time, the nose wheel doesn't have any effect. And if there is no effect, someone (in this case especially me) might tend to increase nose wheel steering deflection (especially on slippery surfaces like grass).

BTW: Some years ago I had a couple of flights in a C152. Maybe there are differences between a 700kg-Cessna and 1300kg-Piper. But with the little 152 it was possible to start turns from a standing position.
OE-LML

Postby Octal450 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:55 pm

@OE-LML - I did not respond in a pissed off manor - you are inventing that yourself. Keep in mind the language barrier.

Cessnas and Pipers use a very different type of steering system and they work differently. In my Piper, if I push the pedals while I am stopped, the wheel does not turn. It will eventually damage the linkage should I continue to do that. We are told to always straighten out the wheel just before stopping irregardless of next. I told you already just use less than 100% pedal input it is fine. I tested it myself and I had no problems.

I am continuing to look into the nose wheel steering grip, in the mean time, please be patient. IDG does not support modification of the aircraft so I am not going to tell you about it, sorry. If you want to make the plane less realistic you need to figure that out for yourself.

Kind Regards,
Josh

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:17 pm

Speaking of which - I found the problem. I am fixing the friction I made a mistake and the nose gear had HALF the friction is should., and also a mistake in aerodynamics. Try it now.

Kind Regards,
Josh

Octal450

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft