Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Weird Issues with Flightgear

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Weird Issues with Flightgear

Postby danielbackward » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:55 pm

Hi, I don't know if this post is relevan to this topic or not. 've been using Flightgear for a few weeks now, and I must say it is an excellent program. However, I have some queries:1. Whenever I accelerate any plane down the runway, it will start to veer to the left. I compensated for this by moving the rudder so the plane turns right, but when I reset the rudder position the drone with camera starts veering again. I have already ensured all my controls are centralised before take off.2. Sometimes when I am in the air, the plane will start to pitch and dive for no apparent reason, especially to the left. Is this connected with the previous problem?3. Sometimes when I am flying the Cessna 172, I start up the engine with the spacebar but after I release it, the propeller stops spinning again, but at other times this does not happen.4. Finally, I would like to know what the option "Model Hertz:" and "Speed:" in the Advanced Options window change. Please help me.
Last edited by danielbackward on Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
danielbackward

Re: Weird Issues with Flightgear

Postby CaptB » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:43 pm

You are most likely experiecing crosswind, and/or propwash if flying a prop.
CaptB

Callsign: EKCH_AP
IRC name: CAPTB
Version: 2018.1

Postby wlbragg » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:19 pm

Sometimes when I am in the air, the plane will start to pitch and dive for no apparent reason, especially to the left. Is this connected with the previous problem?

More than likely you stalled the aircraft and it lost the ability to produce lift. The c172p is modeled to demonstrate that behavior if you don't keep up your airspeed.

Sometimes when I am flying the Cessna 172, I start up the engine with the spacebar but after I release it, the propeller stops spinning again, but at other times this does not happen.

Again, the c172p is modeled to behave close to the real thing. In the menu there are features that can be selected to
1) Autostart, you don't have to worry about anything, throttle is set, primer is primed, mixture is set, etc.
2) Aircraft Options - Start with engine running, next time you start the aircraft will start with the engine already running.
3) Aircraft Options - Complex engine procedures and failures, you have to set everything including the electrical, primer, mixture and throttle settings.
Kansas(2-27-15)/Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA (2-27-15), 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby Thorsten » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:08 pm

Whenever I accelerate any plane down the runway, it will start to veer to the left.

Assuming 'plane' refers to 'single propeller plane', it's what these aircraft do in reality.

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Understandin ... d_P-Factor

I have already ensured all my controls are centralised before take off.

Point being, in a real GA plane you can't take off with controls centered. This only works for heavily fly-by-wire augmented planes. Real piloting is making constant minute adjustments to the controls - expect to be busy a minute or more to properly trim a plane such that you can let go of the controls for half a minute without autopilot.
Thorsten

Return to Aircraft