Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Importing aircraft and all related instruments, textures...

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Importing aircraft and all related instruments, textures...

Postby Kikokou-san » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:06 am

Dear all,

I have spent a lot of time reading Flight Gear Wiki (thank you all for such a quality of explanations by the way), and I am trying to practise aircraft modelling myself before I can contribute to the project.

So I am "playing" with models, trying to make some changes, reimporting in the game, etc. I am using Blender because this is the software I know how to use already.

However, when importing a model into Blender (through the Pyhton script), this is often only the model (meshe) of the aircraft structure, without any texture (grey by default) and any instruments in the cockpit. Also, if I import successively several models (an aircraft and some of its instruments for instance), they are all positionned at the centre and overlap with each other.

I've read all the .xml files related to the aircraft models I am using, so I know that all those information are in the .xml and in other related .xml files. However, is there any way to be able to import "ALL" the aircraft (structure, instruments, textures, etc.), and that everything get well positionned according to offset instructions contained in .xml, and with correct textures as instructed in .xml ?

Thank you very much in advance for your advice

Best regards,
Kikokou-san

Re: Importing aircraft and all related instruments, textures

Postby Necolatis » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:41 pm

Kikokou-san wrote in Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:06 am:However, when importing a model into Blender (through the Pyhton script), this is often only the model (meshe) of the aircraft structure, without any texture (grey by default) and any instruments in the cockpit.

Did you remember to switch to material or texture view? Per default when you import I think Blender gets set to solid view, where no texture is shown.

Kikokou-san wrote in Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:06 am:Also, if I import successively several models (an aircraft and some of its instruments for instance), they are all positionned at the centre and overlap with each other.

In xml you can set an offset and rotation, you will have to do that manually in Blender to position the objects in relation to the parts of the aircraft.

There is a loader that will attempt to do it, but it does not work very well in my opinion.
"Airplane travel is nature's way of making you look like your passport photo."
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Callsign: Leto
IRC name: Neco
Version: 2019.1.2

Postby Kikokou-san » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:35 pm

Hey
Thank you very much for your reply
I will check for the mode.. Maybe you are right and I confused with materials that are displayed in any mode. I will try a render to confirm
For the positionning, unfortunately you confirm what I was fearing...
Thank you any way
Best regards
Kikokou-san

Postby Necolatis » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:07 pm

I just made the job a little easier for you.

I modified the Majic79 importer so that after import the imported objects will be selected only. So you can easy translate/scale/rotate them, according to what's in xml files. :)
Could be difficult otherwise to know, what to select and deselect to manipulate what just got imported.
"Airplane travel is nature's way of making you look like your passport photo."
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Callsign: Leto
IRC name: Neco
Version: 2019.1.2

Return to Aircraft