Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

DHC6 not steering on the ground

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

DHC6 not steering on the ground

Postby marksummerfield » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:03 pm

Hi - just downloaded the Dec 20 2016 version of the DHC6 and find I can't steer in the runway. I have a Saitek yoke and pedals where the pedals move the rudder axis. The rudder moves as expected and the left and right brakes appear to work but the nose wheel steering seems to be disconnected. I just reverted to the version I was using previously and it all works so I think something has changed in an update. It may have occurred before the Dec release as I have probably been using a version from around June 2016 (a guess) up until now. I would be grateful for any help or suggestions for a fix or where to look to provide more info - thanks - Mark
marksummerfield

Callsign: MS66
Version: 2020.3.6

Re: DHC6 not steering on the ground

Postby Patten » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:31 pm

Hi,

You did not search enough ...

:D
Patten

Callsign: Patten
Version: 2018.2.0

Postby marksummerfield » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:00 pm

Patten - thank you!! I think I spent too much time looking in the Forum for the answer and not enough time exploring the new features in the aircraft!! The simple answers are always the best. Wonderful aircraft

Mark
marksummerfield

Callsign: MS66
Version: 2020.3.6

Postby dg-505 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:50 pm

marksummerfield wrote in Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:00 pm:Wonderful aircraft

Thank you :D

Another way is: Use "q" to steer left, "e" to steer right, and "Ctrl-w" to center nose wheel.
It's "Ctrl-w" because "w" is already used by the walker.

In the future I plan to make the nose wheel steering dependent on the hydraulic system ;)
A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you everywhere.

DHC-6 Twin Otter development
dg-505

Callsign: dg-505
Version: next

Postby jjcase337 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:23 am

Hey Thanks,

I'm pretty new , a few months now to Flightgear and tried dozens of aircraft, the DHC2 De Havilland Beaver is pretty fun. The steering does work with Q and E keys on land with floats as well, as I was having the same issue trying to use rudder only until ran into this post. Besides that, I think i found my favorite go to scenery plane! I find it climbs better than a cessna, but im sure ill find the good and bad in both planes before long, hehe...
jjcase337

Callsign: CaseAir
Version: 2018.2.2

Postby tdammers » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:16 pm

The DHC6 is hands down my favorite. Some fun things to try:

- Set up a nice strong wind (40-50 kts), land on a helipad
- World's shortest commercial airline service: Westray (EGEW) to Papa Westray (EGEP)
- World's shortest commercial passenger airport runway: Saba's Juancho E. Yrausquin airport (TNCS); the real-world service is based out of Princess Juliana airport (TNCM) on St. Martin.
- World's most dangerous airport: Lukla (Tenzing-Hillary, VNLK), serviced out of Kathmandu airport (VNKT)
- Germany's most challenging airport: Heligoland Dune (EDXH), serviced out of Cuxhaven/Nordholz (ETMN) or Heide-Büsum (EDXB) IRL, but there are many airports in Northern Germany that would do
- The German and Dutch wadden islands, just off the North Sea coast - VFR island hopping is great, or you can fly out of some larger airport (EHAM, EDDV, EDDH, etc.) IFR, and then fly a visual approach.
tdammers

Callsign: NL256
IRC name: nl256

Return to Aircraft