Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

CRJ700 family goes canvas

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: CRJ700 family goes canvas

Postby jsb » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:01 pm

Coming back to the title of this thread I can report making good progress implementing the EFIS in canvas. My focus for now is on a generic EFIS framework / display controller and the EICAS. PFD (primary flight display) and MFD (multi function display, aka NavDisplay) is lower on my list as I want to check the existing frameworks once I find time again. I will post here again once a working beta version is ready and uploaded to some repo.
jsb

Callsign: D-JSB
Version: next

Postby tdammers » Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:15 pm

Any news on this? I've got a few improvements on the plain (non-ITAF) version on a branch (https://github.com/tdammers/CRJ700-family/commits/nl256), including a slightly smoother (non-ITAF) autopilot, and a bunch of bugfixes, such as:

- elevator trim works correctly and smoothly, both when flying manually and when driven by the autopilot
- autopilot in LNAV mode performs turn anticipation
- ironed out some quirks in the autopilot's pitch hold, alt hold, and G/S modes, getting rid of oscillation during level flight at cruise altitude and undershooting the glideslope on final
- autopilot APPR mode intercepts the localizer more smoothly and is less prone to overshooting
- panel-based ND displays correctly, without z-fighting artifacts, overlaps, and with depth buffering (so the ND no longer sits in front of the yoke)
- HSI NAV needle points in the correct direction (towards the heading to the VOR, not the selected course) on the PFD and MFD
- PFD speed ticker flips over at XX500 ft instead of XX000, avoiding confusing readings (e.g., 2999 ft would previously look a lot like 2000)
- Changed graphics for EFIS engine needles for better visibility
- Added Vref to the airdata reference dialog and the speed tape, including a neat button to automatically calculate Vref based on current total weight
- All weights (cargo, pax, fuel) now included in yasim's total mass calculation (previously, the -1000 was impossible to overload...)

Feel free to cherry-pick.
tdammers

Callsign: NL256
IRC name: nl256

Postby jsb » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:55 pm

Hi,
I am working on the canvas based ND (MFD), that is the last missing screen of the EFIS. After that I will be happy to check you AP improvements, I know the current thing is kind of broken ;)
jsb

Postby Octal450 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:24 am

Ja, please IGNORE everything i wrote before about my changes to the AP here... When I look back at what I did, I am thinking, I am not known what I am doing! Sorry for the confusion. :D

Flying wise, it is a huge improvement already, well done. I did fix a few issues, duplicating and therefore conflicting (causing oscillation) controllers and some oscillation, do you mind if I submit a pull request? (to tdammers)

I also made the Yaw Damper work, made the elevator controlled by autopilot (correctly thru FCS) added AP autotrim, and AP yoke backdrive.

I also fixed incorrect specification of the min/max, should be u_min and u_max for PID, and inside <config>

Kind Regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411

Postby tdammers » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:14 pm

it0uchpods wrote in Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:24 am:Ja, please IGNORE everything i wrote before about my changes to the AP here... When I look back at what I did, I am thinking, I am not known what I am doing! Sorry for the confusion. :D

Flying wise, it is a huge improvement already, well done. I did fix a few issues, duplicating and therefore conflicting (causing oscillation) controllers and some oscillation, do you mind if I submit a pull request? (to tdammers)

I also made the Yaw Damper work, made the elevator controlled by autopilot (correctly thru FCS) added AP autotrim, and AP yoke backdrive.

I also fixed incorrect specification of the min/max, should be u_min and u_max for PID, and inside <config>

Kind Regards,
Josh

Sounds great. This is only the second aircraft I've messed with at all, and the first one where I touched the autopilot, so it's quite possible I made a bunch of mistakes there. Pull requests are absolutely welcome.
tdammers

Postby Octal450 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:18 pm

No problem, we all start somewhere! If you want, I can explain what I did to fix it, and why it fixes is.

Here you are: https://github.com/tdammers/CRJ700-family/pull/1

I am planning to fix the flight director in a bit, but ran out of time for the moment ;)

Kind Regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations

Octal450

Postby tdammers » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:34 pm

Absolutely fantastic, thanks! No need to explain things, really, it looks very straightforward & makes perfect sense.

Not sure if you intended this, or whether it's simply a side effect of the other fixes, but it seems that the V/S hold mode now also works correctly, that is, it flies exactly the vertical speed you dial in. Which is great for precise descents and stuff.

BTW., now that the yaw damper works, it seems that you have to disable it on final, otherwise the APPR controller ends up overcorrecting and doing all sorts of weird stuff. Not a pilot myself, but I think this is in line with the real aircraft, no?
tdammers

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:40 pm

Not really, yaw damper shouldn't try and kill you...
I would expect the autopilot or yaw damper needs tuned a bit more, (maybe at low speeds especially?)
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO

Postby Octal450 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:12 pm

Glad you like it!
I have found gains that work for VS to pitch angle on 99% of airliners, so I plugged those into the V/S controller, which is why :)
Code: Select all
         <Kp>
            <expression>
               <table>
                  <property>velocities/airspeed-kt</property>
                  <entry><ind>140</ind><dep>0.0029</dep></entry>
                  <entry><ind>330</ind><dep>0.0012</dep></entry>
               </table>
            </expression>
         </Kp>
         <Ti>2.5</Ti>
         <Td>0.0001</Td>

I will check that, I didn't have a chance to check the ILS with YD on. It should be able to be left on without a problem.

I also found I made a slight error, which may affect the AP sometimes, I am going to fix that.

EDIT: Fixed it, was an overreacting VORLOC controller, the YD itself is fine. :) Pull request on its way

Kind Regards,
Josh
Last edited by Octal450 on Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Octal450

Postby tdammers » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:04 pm

Nice! Merged! (Also rebased onto master).

BTW., (to anyone) I tried to make the navdisplay texture display on a proper 3D object, but that didn't work - a static texture works just fine and displays as expected, but the `od_wxradar.png` texture that the ND generates, and which works fine in a <panel> element, doesn't work when used directly in mfd.ac. I wonder why that is - having it in a proper textured quad would make things less clumsy.
tdammers

Postby jsb » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:36 pm

Hi,
don't worry, canvas based ND is on its way... :)
jsb

Postby Octal450 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:13 am

Hi tdammers,
make sure you put the new commit in master also (merge nl256 or cherry pick, or such, both would work) ;)
Do you want any further things to be done in master instead?

Kind Regards,
Josh

Octal450

Postby tdammers » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:30 pm

it0uchpods wrote in Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:13 am:Hi tdammers,
make sure you put the new commit in master also (merge nl256 or cherry pick, or such, both would work) ;)
Do you want any further things to be done in master instead?

Kind Regards,
Josh

I have, and yes please. Or maybe feature branches. Either works for me.
tdammers

Postby Octal450 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:36 pm

Ok, great!

Josh

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:46 pm

Hi tdammers,
you are still missing this commit in master: https://github.com/tdammers/CRJ700-fami ... 1a4323f8ac

Merging from nl256 or cherry picking into master will work.

J

Octal450

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft