Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

CRJ700 family goes canvas

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: CRJ700 family goes canvas

Postby Octal450 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:22 pm

Nice

@JSB/Daniel
I've pushed a stable version of my new Autopilot/Flight Director controllers to github

Let me know what you think. I have not yet touch the logic, other than a minor tweak to altitude capture. I did, however change the entire PIDs for the Autopilot, and Flight Director, and as I said, I fixed the Yaw Damper.

Please note:
The new AP uses Aileron and Elevator for control, and will auto-pitch-trim the elevator. (Please let me know if this is not correct, 99% of Airliners do it this way). I adjusted the dual control flight controls to adapt for this, and did extensive testing. Seems OK on my end.

The only thing still affecting the PIDs: when approaching a target altitude, 500ft is not enough to level out, causing a overshoot, which is then corrected. If/when I overhaul the logic, this will be fixed.

Kind Regards,
Josh
Last edited by Octal450 on Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411
Version: next

Postby Octal450 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:26 pm

I forgot the G/S Rate of Climb Computers, so the G/S mode didn't work. Now fixed, sorry.

Kind Regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations

Octal450

Postby zacarias » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:24 pm

it0uchpods wrote in Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:22 pm:Nice

Please note:
The new AP uses Aileron and Elevator for control, and will auto-pitch-trim the elevator. (Please let me know if this is not correct, 99% of Airliners do it this way). I adjusted the dual control flight controls to adapt for this, and did extensive testing. Seems OK on my end.

Kind Regards,
Josh

Hi. I tested your version. The SPEED mode seems tricky. Also, from the tests I made: to reach a given altitude you have to use V/S. The speed has to be controlled manually. There's no autoland (maybe there isn't in real life).
FG 2017.3.1
LinuxMint 18 Cinnamon 64-bit
Processor AMD A8-6600K
Graphics Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti
zacarias

Postby Octal450 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:00 pm

No, it works correctly. The speed is speed with pitch, and it should work perfectly. If you cheat the autothrottle, then there is a logic issue which prevents either autothrottle, is speed with pitch from working. But its a logic issue.

There is no autoland in real live AFAIK.

Josh

Octal450

Postby jsb » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:35 pm

Sorry, still busy for the next weeks, getting my real live PPL-A, however, bad weather may force me to indoor activities (e.g. FG) ;)
Short: there is no autoland in CRJ700/900, "speed mode" is NOT autothrottle (however I kept it as a "cheat" via menubar - PID from the original authors version) but speed mode tries to keep IAS with given thrust by pitching (may be impossible when thrust lever is to high or to low).
jsb

Callsign: D-JSB

Postby Octal450 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:40 pm

@jsb
Yes, I modeled the speed by pitch in my autopilot fix.

AFAIK there is a logic bug with switching to IAS hold cheating.(I didn't touch that)

Good luck to your PPL.

Kind Regards,
Josh

Octal450

Postby jsb » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:04 pm

wow, could not resist to test your version. the new AP is brilliant, so smooth, love it :)
jsb

Postby jsb » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:07 pm

btw. personally I consider the auto thrust cheat as a developer tool while tweaking the FDM and AP - I do not expect it to work nicely all the time (but sometimes of course) ;)
jsb

Postby Octal450 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:22 pm

Hi
Great to hear.

I still would like to stress the importance of moving autopilot logic to nasal, as then the altitude capturing, localizer capturing, and g/s capturing will work better. I can make a prototype for you if you'd like.

If you'd like, I can remove the autothrottle from the normal AP system, as realistic, and add a new one to developer mode?

Kind Regards,
Josh

Octal450

Postby jsb » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:26 pm

I agree things are a little bit scattered. Some parts are in the CRJ700-ap-rules.xml other things are done in instumentation.nas. Hopefully I did move any logic away from 3D cockpit animation XMLs - I believe I did so when aligning the AP dialog window and cockpit buttons.
I think we should give it a try and move the AP logic (like input handling for the buttons) into a autopilot.nas - afaik the XML is useful only for things that should be done at frame rate or FDM rate (button handling not being one of these things).
Whats your proposal? :)
jsb

Postby Octal450 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:20 pm

I agree with you @jsb

Here's what I'll do:
I've downloaded an FCOM for it, I'll make a custom nasal autoflight controller (this will improve PID operation too :D) and set it all up for you. It may take me a week or so, depending on how much things I have to do each day. It will be in my GitHub fork, then if you like it, you can merge it in.

The Logic would allowthe following:
Smart Engagement and Disengagement of YD, AP, and FD
LAT and VERT mode selection, by buttons, or by logic (like capture)
Automatic Smart altitude capture -- capturing occurres closer or farther from target altitude depending on climb/descent rate
Automatic Smart LOC and G/S capturing -- armed until intercepted -- like real
Altitude Capture Rate Of Climb limiting depending -- make sure that when altitude capture becomes active, the plane doesn't increase it's climb/descent rate
Automatically recenters flight controls on disengage to simulate the servers disconnecting from the flight controls/centering unit
Full support for easy integration with PFDs, MFDs, and AP Dialogs
And a few more random stuff
And various other things

Kind Regards,
Josh

Octal450

Postby jtprophet » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:57 pm

Guys,

I loaded this plane using the rembrandt renderer instead of the ALS I normally choose and I have to say I was blown away with the lighting on this thing especially at night time. I had real weather on and the runway was still wet so the visual effects were sweet! And this airplane is so much fun to fly I look forward to the full development and appreciate all that you do to make this hobby such an exciting thing.

One thing and I kinda gathered an understanding with the auto throttle reading the previous posts, so everytime I tried to engage the AT it would beep at me, did I understand correctly that the throttle levers must be in a certain position like on the airbus or this something that does not yet work?

Thank-you!

John
jtprophet

Callsign: DAL1464

Postby Octal450 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:38 pm

CRJ has not autothrottle. The cheat autothrottle doesn't work properly (on the logic side).

Kind Regards,
Josh

Octal450

Postby zacarias » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:23 pm

Is someone working on new liveries? I suggest Iberia livery (for the CRJ-1000), for instance.
FG 2017.3.1
LinuxMint 18 Cinnamon 64-bit
Processor AMD A8-6600K
Graphics Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti
zacarias

Postby DeltaSVEN » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:09 pm

I'll get the Iberia CRJX done since there is obviously demand also have interesting routes!
CityLine D-ACND is already done, have to see where and how to push it to...

Cheers, Sven
Pilot / scenery developer
Talk to me in Mumble's "Deutsch" channel
My custom sceneries: https://github.com/D-Sven
DeltaSVEN

Callsign: D-SVEN

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft