Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

More realistic Blackout/Redout

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: More realistic Blackout/Redout

Postby Necolatis » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:04 pm

You are right. I will correct it.
"Airplane travel is nature's way of making you look like your passport photo."
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Callsign: Leto
IRC name: Neco
Version: 2020.3.19

Postby Thorsten » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:15 pm

Actually, in JSBSim you're checking against

Code: Select all
 <property>accelerations/pilot/z-accel-fps_sec</property>

which is normal acceleration. Vostok-1 being set up the way it is, I guess I have the only use case which can produce sizable x-axis accelerations in FG, but there it is - rockets would usually do that during launch. I guess to be fully correct you'd need the vector length of the 3 acceleration components - but then it's of course hard to decide what a negative acceleration is without explicitly specifying pilot orientation.

So on second thought, maybe just leave it all as is...
Thorsten

Postby Necolatis » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:41 pm

The visual effects of transverse G are minimal. According to Gillingham & Krutz (86), subjects have withstood up to 15 Gx without blackout. Some visual disturbances have been noted above 12 Gx. These disturbances have been in the form of blurring and excess lacrimation.

Page 281 in the PDF I linked.
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Postby Thorsten » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:54 pm

Ah - we learn something new every day... :-)
Thorsten

Postby Johan G » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:00 pm

Having skimmed through half that paper I have had a few "Aha!" moments. Biggest surprise was that the monocular field of view shrinks more on the nose side (due to location of blood vessels).

The plethysmographic goggles (p. 62 and on) I find a bit uneasy (applying external pressure to the eyes to constrict the blood flow in order to induce tunnel vision).
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby Hooray » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:57 pm

referring to the code in the wiki, you may want to use maketimer() instead of settimer() and register event handlers (callbacks) for the corresponding /sim/signals - to make sure that reset/re-init is properly handled by the script (I haven't checked if it does already)
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Necolatis » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:21 pm

Okay, updated to use maketimer. I used settimer to be backward compatible with old FG versions, but I guess that's not needed for most people.

About reset/re-init, I don't see any pitfalls in just continue to let the script run. Do you agree? It doesn't start a new script running, while the old is still running, correct?
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Postby Thorsten » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:56 am

About reset/re-init, I don't see any pitfalls in just continue to let the script run. Do you agree? It doesn't start a new script running, while the old is still running, correct?

As far as I can determine by glancing over it, since you remove the triggering listener on init, it doesn't start a new version. Looks okay to me.
Thorsten

Postby Necolatis » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:01 am

Yes, I was just contemplating if reinit would reread the nas file and start it again, by which two would be running at the same time if the first is not stopped. But I don't think reinit does that.
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Postby Thorsten » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:02 am

I would argue that if a complete re-init of all Nasal keeps running Nasal running rather than forcing it to end, that's hardly your fault :mrgreen: and would have to be fixed FG-side.
Thorsten

Postby erik » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:31 pm

This effect is awesome! I just experienced it with the new YF-16 and it's way better that what we had.
Excellent job.

Erik
Current: Parachutist, Paraglider, Pterosaur, Pilatus PC-9M and variants, ERCO Ercoupe, Fokker Dr.1, Fokker 50, Fokker 100
Less active: Cessna T-37, T-38, Santa Claus. Previous: General Dynamics F-16. Worked on: Wright Flyer
erik

Postby Thorsten » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:49 pm

Here's a quick visual proof of concept how this could look like as ALS filter (sorry Erik, you'll have to convert the F-16 to a canvas HUD and do something about the alphanumerics right in the view, they don't seem exposed to any effects either...)

There's an inner circle beyond which contrast, color and some brightness is lost and an outer circle of blackness (at least that's what I gather from skimming the paper needs to be there) Maybe the onsets ought to be a bit more gradual or so? Not quite sure, it doesn't look right yet, but then again, I've never actually seen (or rather not seen) it for real.

Do we work with this concept, or do we need to alter it?

What's the minimal amount of information we need to give to the shader to get the right balance?
Thorsten

Postby Necolatis » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:55 pm

I have been staring at it for some minutes now. I like it alot actually. :)
The onset from middle into the grey I find good.

I think at first we might would want two parameters, for inner and for outer circle size, at least until at good balance between the sizes are found. Maybe linear radius (corner to center) 0-1?
I tend to think color, brightness, contrast loss can be hardcoded.

I have to see if the paper has some good hints to how this should relate to blackout, Gs and time spent there, I am thinking this comes first and I can delay blackout compared to when your filter is not active. That also might make blackout more scary as it will come less gradual. Something is in appendix that seem to hint that tunnel vision should relate rather directly to Gs (page 429, but its for relaxed subject, so I guess not someone doing anti-G breathing). I will have to read it more closely.

Btw. Richard has made a canvas HUD, you just need to update from FGAddon.
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Postby erik » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:28 pm

Thorsten wrote in Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:49 pm:Here's a quick visual proof of concept how this could look like as ALS filter (sorry Erik, you'll have to convert the F-16 to a canvas HUD and do something about the alphanumerics right in the view, they don't seem exposed to any effects either...)

I'm not sure how old your copy of the (Y)F-16 is but Richard did implement the canvas HUD for the F-16 recently.

Erik
Current: Parachutist, Paraglider, Pterosaur, Pilatus PC-9M and variants, ERCO Ercoupe, Fokker Dr.1, Fokker 50, Fokker 100
Less active: Cessna T-37, T-38, Santa Claus. Previous: General Dynamics F-16. Worked on: Wright Flyer
erik

Postby erik » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:43 pm

By the way, the DED (Data Entry Display) is still 2d panel code ..
This needs to switch to canvas which should be pretty simple.

Erik
erik

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft