Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

SR-71 Blackbird

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

SR-71 Blackbird

Postby PINTO » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:10 am

Since it was brought up on the mailing list...

https://github.com/l0k1/SR71-BlackBird

I didn't contact the original author of this plane (Gerard Robin), but I just kinda started working on it. I've added in a lot of changes, and would welcome any help.

Code: Select all
Changelog

v 0.2
------
+Original version number when modifications began.

v 0.2.1
------
+Added AI refuelling capabilities
+Throttle animation based on throttle position
+Higher-res livery
+damage.nas installed (currently always-on, will be switchable in later versions)
+Nasal file restructure

v 0.2.2
------
+Removed speed and thrust restrictions.
+Implemented engine failure support
+CIT guage and overheating damage
+Power increased - interpolated up to mach 3.6 instead of mach 3.4.
+Max mach of 3.53 enforced - this is due to the pressure wave from the nose of the aircraft hitting the inlets, causing an unstart.
+BigTail variant introduced
+Custom sounds by @swampmo
+Fuel system now sequences as described in the manual.
+Landing gear now is on the ground when it appears to be, instead of floating in the air when taking off. (@NikolaiVChr helped immensely in this.)
+Critical angle of attack causes large pitching moment
+ALS afterburner
+SLR support via drop down menu. TODO: in-cockpit instrument
+Implement a limited ND variant that is the current stand-in for the projector map.
+New splash screens/thumbnail
+Set starting fuel to 45k pound
+Cockpit view position adjusted slightly
+TDI shows EAS instead of IAS
+Throttle model/texture rework
+TEB usage and counters implemented
+ENP guages implemented

There's still a lot to do, so if anyone wants to help I won't stop you.

https://github.com/l0k1/SR71-BlackBird

Actively developing the MiG-21bis (github repo) (forum thread) (dev discord) (fg wiki)

http://opredflag.com is an active flightgear dogfighting community (using a system that isn’t bombable)
PINTO

Callsign: pinto
Version: stable

Re: SR-71 Blackbird

Postby bugman » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:04 am

Sadly Gérard passed away not so long ago. His aircraft are now maintained by the GRTux team. You'll find an email address at the bottom of that page for contacting them. Note that since the Gitorious shutdown, they have not been maintaining the aircraft in FGAddon. So their versions might be more up to date.

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Version: next

Postby PINTO » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:09 am

Well, consider this a fork of Gerards as found in FGAddon then.

Also, GRTux is CC-BY-NC-ND, whereas this one is GPLv2.
Actively developing the MiG-21bis (github repo) (forum thread) (dev discord) (fg wiki)

http://opredflag.com is an active flightgear dogfighting community (using a system that isn’t bombable)
PINTO

Postby daveculp » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:45 pm

Downloaded the model, but couldn't start the engines. Here 4x-JOSH flew by, so I followed along, and saw that the gear was cycling up and down as if it was tied to a beacon property over MP.

daveculp

Callsign: DCulp
Version: 2017.3.1

Postby PINTO » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:46 pm

daveculp wrote in Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:45 pm:Downloaded the model, but couldn't start the engines.

Press "}" to turn on electrical, and then "s" to start them. Lemme know if that doesn't work, and I'll see what I can do.

daveculp wrote in Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:45 pm:Here 4x-JOSH flew by, so I followed along, and saw that the gear was cycling up and down as if it was tied to a beacon property over MP.

Interesting, that's a new one. I'll look into that tonight.

PINTO

Postby bugman » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:34 pm

Contacting the GRTux team would be the respectful thing to do, and would help to have the changes merged back upstream to the original source. Note that with my recent maintenance of the aircraft wiki articles, that we have two updated articles on the FGAddon Blackbirds:

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Postby PINTO » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:03 am

@daveculp, thanks for the bug report, this should be fixed now. Also, that's a great looking F4 there.

PINTO

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:21 am

bugman wrote in Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:34 pm:Contacting the GRTux team would be the respectful thing to do

+1000000000000~ ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Thorsten » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:55 am

Actually GRTux has the development of the plane under CC- BY-NC-ND which is quite incompatible with GPL, so merging the changes into the source means they get lost for GPL.

So I personally consider a GPL fork based on the material on FGAddon a reasonable approach at this point. Effectively we can't make use of any of their development (in fact, it's forbidden for us).

In other matters, YaSim really doesn't deal well with the high supersonic region... so the YaSim Blackbird really doesn't resemble the real flight dynamics.
Thorsten

Postby bugman » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:07 am

Thorsten wrote in Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:55 am:Actually GRTux has the development of the plane under CC- BY-NC-ND which is quite incompatible with GPL, so merging the changes into the source means they get lost for GPL.

True, that is what their old webpage says. But this is really a very weak fact to base such a judgment on! Especially considering the conflict-inciting potential such a decision would cause. It has been a turbulent time for the GRTux team in the last few years. And they have expressed interest in maintaining the GPL aircraft in FGAddon, but had issues obtaining access for some unknown reasons (probably due to issues with the Gitorious->SourceForge transition and the fgdata-old -> FGData + FGAddon split). They have changes to some or all of their aircraft that they wish to have included to their aircraft in FGAddon, so it would only make sense for Pinto to coordinate with them while updating the GRTux aircraft, and not end up with a third Blackbird. Let me drop an appropriate and recent quoted proverb here:

When you run alone you run fast but when you run together you run far”?

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Postby Thorsten » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:08 am

And they have expressed interest in maintaining the GPL aircraft in FGAddon, but had issues obtaining access for some unknown reasons (probably due to issues with the Gitorious->SourceForge transition and the fgdata-old -> FGData + FGAddon split).

There have been actual issues with the development philosophy as well. I remember in one case the aircraft switched on Rembrandt in the xml, unconditionally overriding the user rendering settings and the merge request wasn't accepted because of the huge debugging problems such overrides might cause - leading to a violent discussion. Basically we need to be sure that aircraft-xml sets aircraft properties, not FGData-specific properties - rendering, weather or AI traffic are to be set by the user application-side, not by the aircraft upon loading.

But this is really a very weak fact to base such a judgment on!

Plus a couple of mailing list exchanges similar to the one above. Admittedly I don't know of any recent expression of interest to maintain FGAddon content - if you know more, I'll be happy to stand corrected.

When you run alone you run fast but when you run together you run far”?

And when you run with someone who ties your shoelaces, you don't run at all.

:mrgreen:
Thorsten

Postby PINTO » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:02 pm

@all: I have contacted them, but as they are CC-BY-NC-ND and I am GPLv2, combining efforts is not possible at this time. I will not be switching the licensing on my work. As such, there will be three Blackbirds.

PINTO

Postby bugman » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:50 pm

@Pinto: I too am in contact with the GRTux team, as I have been for quite a while now. You clearly have misunderstood something. I have seen their current Blackbird git repository, and the COPYING file clearly states it is GPLv2+. The CC BY-NC-ND licence mentioned on the website must rather be seen as a historical event, and that the situation today is quite different, with Gérard's descendants and the GRTux team acting as caretakers of his aircraft.

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Postby PINTO » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:01 pm

Well then they should tell me that themselves or update their website. As it stands, their website is the most visible facing outlet for them, and that says CC. I'm not psychic, and it says CC, and that it won't be GPL anymore. Hearing it secondhand from you (and not having any access to see their GPL version) does me no good.

In the meantime, I'll still be working on this, regardless of your opinion on it.

PINTO

Postby bugman » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:14 pm

I have seen their email to you. It is pretty clear to me that they wanted to work as a team. And they specifically mentioned that they wish to update the GPL aircraft (they said "my target is to update the SR71 FGDATA within Flightgear official"). They used the explicit text "our GPLV2 version"! It is impossible to confuse that with "our CC version". So it is crystal clear that you are pretending that this is second hand information, and that you wish not to work in a team with the upstream and original authors.

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Next

Return to Aircraft