Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Saab J35Ö Draken

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Postby b_thor » Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:52 pm

Hi
The model looks very good.

I work in my spare time with the Draken flight simulator at the aviation museum in Västerås and I hope this model could be a step away from MSFS.

I can help with information and pictures on the flight intruments and controls in the cockpit.

/ Björn Thor
b_thor

Postby Kugelfang » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:34 pm

Funny thing... I spent about a year living in the town of Mojave and never paid much attention to the airport at all. Lost opportunity, I suppose.

--jeff
Kugelfang

Version: 2020.4.0

Postby Galloglas » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:16 pm

WoW! I downloaded and installed your Draken and flew it a bit last evening. I find that it flies very naturally and looks very nice as well....thanks for the tip about the fuel. I froze the fuel setting before takeoff and so managed to fly up to about 35000 feet east of KSFO in the mountains and did some terrain hugging up and down the mountains and really had a lot of fun. :D

Thanks for sharing this one, Badoli. I can't wait for further developments on this aircraft.

Brian
Galloglas

Postby badoli » Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:06 pm

Yea, the thing with the fuel is solved now. I selected the wrong kind of engine... :oops:

Now it works better, but i have too less technical knowledge about balancing. If anybody wants to give it a shot, he's more than welcome!
badoli

Postby glazmax » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:55 pm

Really nice modeling! It flies like a charm, as stated above behaves very predictible at high/low speeds/landing but I have no idea how the real plane behaved, so balancing for me is a bit difficult :-).
One thing possible would maybe be to fly the same procedures with low/full fuel, adjust center of gravity and try to stall the plane but I am just a bloody amateur .. :twisted:

Fly on,
glazmax
glazmax

Callsign: jettoo/OE-JTO
Version: cvs

Postby geneb » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:45 pm

Joacim Persson wrote:
Well, I suppose it is perfectly normal to have a jet fighter nose section in the garage. Don't we all have one or two stashed away just in case.

Well.... Yeah. :)

Curt, is that picture you posted of a DC3? What's it doing with turbine engines and a FLIR pod in the nose?

g.
Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007
http://www.f15sim.com - The only one of its kind.
geneb

Postby curt » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:09 pm

geneb wrote:
Joacim Persson wrote:
Curt, is that picture you posted of a DC3? What's it doing with turbine engines and a FLIR pod in the nose?

It's one of they toys they have at the NTPS. I think it was rigged up for ocean patrol (New Zealand?) and eventually the NTPS ended up with it. The pod limits the top speed unfortunately, otherwise it would be one *really* quick dc-3.

Curt.
curt
Administrator

Interesting

Postby AnMaster » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:38 pm

Just tested the aircraft, but it failed with this error:
Code: Select all
  Model Author:  Aeromatic v 0.9
  Creation Date: 19th of december 2006
  Version:       0.0
  Description:   Models a SaabJ38OeDraken.

Supplied unit: "OUT" does not exist (typo?). Add new unit conversion in FGXMLElement.cpp.

I'm running CVS version of flightgear (fg/plib on Linux). As I'm from Sweden, I'm very interested in this aircraft.
AnMaster

Postby HeliFlyer » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:07 am

Hi,

this is only an UGLY hack until the author makes a qualified update/correction - but you can test the bird with my hack:

File: FlightGear/data/Aircraft//SaabJ35OeDraken/SaabJ38OeDraken.xml
Search for change to
<location unit="OUT"> <location unit="IN">
Repeat search and change until EOF (I think two times to change ..)

Regards
Georg EDDW
HeliFlyer
Retired

Postby AndersG » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:57 am

HeliFlyer wrote:Hi,

this is only an UGLY hack until the author makes a qualified update/correction - but you can test the bird with my hack:

File: FlightGear/data/Aircraft//SaabJ35OeDraken/SaabJ38OeDraken.xml
Search for change to
<location unit="OUT"> <location unit="IN">
Repeat search and change until EOF (I think two times to change ..)

Better yet would be to figure out what units the author actually was using. That he/she used unit="OUT" (=?!) instead of unit="IN" (=inches) or unit="M" (=meters) indicates that he/she didn't realize what unit was for. It ought to be fairly easy to figure out if the locations are in inches, feet (FT) or meters.. :)
That said, "IN" is a very good guess since most JSBSim aircraft use that.

Cheers,

Anders
AndersG

Callsign: SE-AG

Postby badoli » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:17 pm

Hey

Sorry, that i was away that long. Haven't had much time recently to work on that, as i have a new job.

About the units: Yea, well, i didn't really know what it was for, so i guessed... wrong ;-) As i said, if anybody is interested in doing the scripting part of the plane, just go for it. I neighter have the necessary knowledge nor the time at the moment to work on it, still i would love to see it fly properly!

b_thor, i won't have the time in the next some months probably to work on the cockpit, but i won't give up on the idea that i might model the cockpit aswell. So i might come back to your offer!

cheers
Oli
badoli

Previous

Return to Aircraft