Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Erickson S-64 Aircrane anyone?

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: Erickson S-64 Aircrane anyone?

Postby wlbragg » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:58 pm

Thanks to Helijah's continuing dedication to his aircraft models, we now have in fgaddon a completely updated version of the AirCrane that follow closely the current development work I have been doing over the last year or two. Helijah took the time to clean up my somewhat sloppy development and reorganize a ton of files and some technical issues.
If you've been following the development repository then you may not notice all the structural changes, but believe me they are there.
What you will find after today is the addition of the clustered shader lighting. It's so cool, thanks to the core team and Fernando specifically.
There is still a small diversion between the dev repository and fgaddon. It has to do with interior and exterior effects. Exterior effects are organized slightly different than fgaddon but will be pushed to fgaddon soon. The interior effects are also organized slightly different between the two, but will also hopefully be merged to use the same across both repositories in the near future.
There has been massive amounts of reorganization completed already by Helijah and myself. I still have a bit more to do before it's all said and done.

But this is the results so far.

Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby Johan G » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:39 pm

That looks amazing. :D
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby wlbragg » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:29 pm

My favorite part is seeing the searchlight on the hills in the distance.
wlbragg

Postby Johan G » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:18 pm

That for sure will make for example search and rescue a lot ore immersive.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:12 am

is there a red belly beacon under the front?

also, on the belly light turning red, there is a quick flash to green before it goes back white when you fly over the airplanes at the hanger and then turn right... like 5:29 to 5:30 from rough eyeball timing...

i'm curious if armchair99 has seen it, too...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby wlbragg » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:21 pm

Yes

quick flash to green before it goes back white when you fly over the airplanes at the hanger

Yep, there is a bug in the spot light code. it's been reported.
wlbragg

Postby wlbragg » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:22 pm

Anyone know how to animate a free castor wheel in YASim?
wlbragg

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:46 pm

wlbragg wrote in Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:21 pm:

Yes

thanks! i wasn't sure and the blinking glow was attracting my attention but the video never really got low enough for me to see it...

wlbragg wrote in Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:21 pm:
quick flash to green before it goes back white when you fly over the airplanes at the hanger

Yep, there is a bug in the spot light code. it's been reported.

yeah, i mentioned the green flash because i only saw red being talked about ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby WoodSTokk » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:13 pm

wlbragg wrote in Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:22 pm:Anyone know how to animate a free castor wheel in YASim?

<gear … castering="1">

EDIT: oh, you mean animate … sorry.
Maybe you can calculate it out of rotation of the aircraft and the arm to the caster wheel in what direction it should rotate.
WoodSTokk

Callsign: SX-W57
IRC name: WoodSTokk
Version: 2020.4.0

Postby helijah » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:14 am

wlbragg wrote in Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:22 pm:Anyone know how to animate a free castor wheel in YASim?

Check out the Alphajet :)
Some planes (and other) for FlightGear
http://helijah.free.fr
and
http://embaranger.free.fr
helijah

Callsign: helijah
IRC name: helijah
Version: GIT

Postby abassign » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:38 am

wlbragg wrote in Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:58 pm:Thanks to Helijah's continuing dedication to his aircraft models...

Really very nice, but I'd like to share a couple of things with you.
1. Insert the ambient lighting lights in the cabin, they are normally placed at the top and at night they are activated directly by the pilot and / or passengers, in order to dimly illuminate the cabin and thus select the controls more easily. I would use a very diffuse white-yellow <spot> type light (they were 2700-3000 Kelvin lights), I would set the <ambient> value very low, if not zero, and I would use very <diffuse> with a 10-30 % of <specular> to give more strength to the scene.
2. I see that the beacon light should currently be a <point> type light, I would modify it with a <spot> type light with an angle of 89 ° (beyond this value it gives an error and it doesn't work). Directed down so the cabin is not flooded with beacon light which is completely impossible since it is below. For this light I would avoid having active ambient light, but only diffuse and a little specular which gives more strength to the scene. If you want to illuminate the sub-car with the beacon light, you can try an inverse spot (oriented upwards) with absolutely no <ambient> component and very carefully in the <attenuation> and <range-m> values.

Compositor is giving me a lot of satisfaction, but he has the defect of being still a little young and therefore there are various militations, especially in the light distribution scheme.
Developer of the program https://wiki.flightgear.org/Julia_photoscenery_generator
FDM developer of the G91R1B aircraft https://wiki.flightgear.org/FIAT_G91R1B
JSBSim collaborator
abassign

Callsign: I-BASSY
Version: 2020.4

Postby wlbragg » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:48 am

Insert the ambient lighting lights in the cabin,

Thanks for the tips. The current cabin lighting is somewhat temporary. It was introduced until we model some more advanced and realistic lighting. I don't know what kind of interior lighting the AirCrane deploys, I haven't got that far yet. In the short term, I suppose I should at least turn off the lighting in the daylight hours. Time to review my images and video again for clues.

I agree that the new clustered shading light is not quite right. But it is very difficult to find night time video of the AirCrane in real life, especially of the interior cabin. I didn't really notice where the beacon light was coming from that is illuminating the cabin. I also don't know how much if any it does in real life. I will take another look at it and verify what exactly we're seeing in the cabin and where it is coming from. I assumed it was from the tail beacon. It didn't dawn on me it might be from the front beacon seeping through the cockpit floor.

Check out the Alphajet

Thanks Helijah, I figured there had to be an example somewhere. I am in the process of reading the limited YASim documentation, but so far it is not clear as to how to achieve the animation portion.
wlbragg

Postby wlbragg » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:00 pm

Castor wheel, the AlphaJet example is exactly what I want. Unfortunately I am not getting the property gear/gear[0]/caster-angle-deg to be fed with anything. That property is what is being used to animate the front wheel assembly. I looked at the yasim.xml for the front gear and I reproduced it as well, still no joy. Doing a find-in-file search shows the only reference to that property is in the animation code block in the model.xml. But in the AirCrane it has a 0 value (meaning it appears to be initialized), but does not change.

Dany93, if your reading this thread, the AlphJet acknowledged you for the creation of the animation, could you shed any light on this?
wlbragg

Postby wlbragg » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:47 pm

The castor wheel was working, it just didn't change angle if the brake or wheel lock was on.

Now I need a integrator function that will work in YASim, I guess that would be maybe a nasal function. I want to slow down the castor wheel angle coming from YASim.
I think it would work something like pass the YASim property controlling castor into the function and output a second property that is scaled or slowed down. Maybe kusing or converting the nasal door code in aircraft.nas.

Anyone know of or have any code to handle something like this?
wlbragg

Postby Johan G » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:48 pm

Maybe filters/property rules could be used for that?
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft