Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Bombardier Q400 v1.0

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: Bombardier Q400 v1.0

Postby Oswald » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:02 am

Thank you, the aircraft has much improved since my last download.

cockpit much more advanced
    ILS worked
    changing NAV source worked
    I miss the NAV map in the second display, in the last version there only was the map, now it is possible to change between electrical, fuel, motor and door values, but not to see the map.
    Something got wrong with fuel management: I used only 75 lb from LFPO (Paris) to EDDK (Koeln-Bonn)
    payload/passenger management appears to be correct now (including unstable plane when I put all crew and passenger in the front of the aircraft ...)

I plan to use the aircraft regularly (for flights for the VA "St. Paul Airlines", by the way) and I am still learning to use it. Do you mind if I give hints to problems?

Oswald
Oswald

Postby D-ECHO » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:48 am

Hi Oswald
The NAV map is still a work in progress, as there is no correct version existing I'm creating a custom one.
I'll have a look at the fuel consumption, actually never had a depper look into it yet
Do you mind if I give hints to problems?

I'm always happy to get feedback about problems, only like this I can fix them :D
Regards
D-ECHO

Pronouns: Bea (she/her)
Version: next

Postby Oswald » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:10 pm

Hi D-ECHO,

the previous version had realistic fuel consumption and a NAV map that simply showed the flight plan within the compass.
If you fly for a VA, things like fuel consumption suddenly become relevant, I learn lots of interesting things on that way towards more realistic sim flying. If feed back leads to more realistic FG aircrafts and there is someone who is able to realize that - so much so better.

Oswald
Oswald

Postby paju1986 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:29 pm

Hello @D-ECHO

Great plane! it looks very promisig.

I realize that there is a gap between the fuselage and the cockpit panel and you can see throw it.

Regards!
paju1986

Postby D-ECHO » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:58 am

Hi Paju,
thank you very much for the report, it should be fixed now :D

the previous version had realistic fuel consumption and a NAV map that simply showed the flight plan within the compass.

The previous version had a working ND (Nav Display) but it wasn't matching the real one so I'm redoing it at the moment :D
I'm still going to look into fuel consumption
D-ECHO

Postby D-ECHO » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:04 am

I've adjusted the fuel consumption now, it was by far too low, it's now still not perfect but far better
D-ECHO

Postby Oswald » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:39 pm

Hi D-ECHO,
thx again. To update "my" aircraft do I have to download the whole lot again? Or is it sufficient do exchange the files that you updated?
Oswald
Oswald

Postby D-ECHO » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:06 pm

The best way would be to use git, are you familiar with that?
D-ECHO

Postby Oswald » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:03 pm

Hi D-ECHO,
I use GIT, isn't that the one and only access to the aircraft?

Having done some more brief flights (city hopping for an hour or so) with the Q400, it works fine over all. Some minor things (apart from the map):
- fuel consumption much more realistic, but probably too high
- a little angle is hanging out of the plane when you look from the right hand side
- is yaw damper installed? If so, it doesn't work as it should, the aircraft gets into rolling to and fro with yaw damper applied. Without it is fine.
- in autopilot cruise flight there is some minor swaying along the pitch axis.
- Route manager and auto pilot work fine, though I sometimes don't get the glideslope, but I think that is my fault then.
- ADF recognition and adjustment of frequency either does not work or I didn't find out yet, how to do it
- first payload / pax input leads to nonsense, you have to close the menu and reopen it, readjust, then it works fine

These are my current observations. I have not looked deeper into the display of electrical and engine/turbine function, the most important parts work. All in all the aircraft is ready to do further scheduled flights and I like flying it a lot. Thanks to developers!
Oswald
Oswald

Postby Octal450 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:10 am

Autopilot/FDM is really rubbish, needs to be redone.

D-ECHO based this FDM off of an old version of the A320 FDM, but even after I tried to make it acceptable, I gave up. I don't have the time to make it any good. The autopilot is also an old version, the newer version is rate-based and when its out, it will work better. But, @D-ECHO, you can try to adjust the config and see if you can null it out.

Kind Regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411

Postby D-ECHO » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:27 pm

Oswald wrote in Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:03 pm:Hi D-ECHO,
I use GIT, isn't that the one and only access to the aircraft?

There are two ways you can use git: One is to download the aircraft from github.com using the "Download Zip" button, the other one is to use the program git and clone the repository.
Oswald wrote in Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:03 pm:- a little angle is hanging out of the plane when you look from the right hand side

I'm not sure what you mean, could you post a screenshot?
Oswald wrote in Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:03 pm:- is yaw damper installed? If so, it doesn't work as it should, the aircraft gets into rolling to and fro with yaw damper applied. Without it is fine.
- in autopilot cruise flight there is some minor swaying along the pitch axis.

Those two are coming from bad autopilot tuning and bad FDM (Flight Dynamics Model), as it0uchpods already stated, I already tried and improved the pitch swaying during cruise a bit, but I couldn't eliminate it completely, one day there'll be a better FDM and a newer version of the autopilot installed :D
Oswald wrote in Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:03 pm:- ADF recognition and adjustment of frequency either does not work or I didn't find out yet, how to do it

Hm, may be because ADF is not yet implemented :D Will do now
Oswald wrote in Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:03 pm:- first payload / pax input leads to nonsense, you have to close the menu and reopen it, readjust, then it works fine

I don't quite get what you mean, could you explain it once more?
Oswald wrote in Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:03 pm:These are my current observations. I have not looked deeper into the display of electrical and engine/turbine function, the most important parts work. All in all the aircraft is ready to do further scheduled flights and I like flying it a lot. Thanks to developers!
Oswald

Great to hear that! I am really happy that I don't just develop an aircraft "for the archive" :D.
D-ECHO

Postby D-ECHO » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:06 pm

Update: ADF Indication on PFD is now implemented!
D-ECHO

Postby Octal450 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:32 pm

Secret:
I was for the last week working on the Q400 FDE. It's been completely overhauled in every way, and flies way better now. I put in the new autopilot we well. It should be up soon, as I get some more things sorted out.

Kind Regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411

Postby Oswald » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:56 pm

I wonder whether my image presentation for the FG forum works. If so:

D-ECHO, this is the angle ("Winkelstueck"), I notice at the right side of the Q400:

If it works, I'll answer your other questions, too ...
Oswald
Oswald

Postby Oswald » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:57 pm

Didn't work, sorry, I haven't found out how to attach the image from an external media center ...
Oswald

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft