Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Cessna 182S  Topic is solved

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: Cessna 182S

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:13 am

Johan G wrote in Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:13 pm:I think the C182 have a very common pitfall. I often feel that the riveting is more of a thing for a livery layer than the normal map (in particular since flush rivets usually are used in this day and age)

i think i can agree with you there... i've fought many times with trying to create new liveries and have always been thwarted but rivet mess where/when it was unwanted as well as chrome in places that it was also unwanted (eg) engine intake rings)... i will also mention that shiny mess when a livery is specifically designed for no shine (eg: flat or matte)... these things have completely prevented me from releasing any of my livery work :(
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:16 am

on the c182 and its rivets... that's *YOUR* c182... what if ""i"" have taken my c182 and reworked the skin to have flush or no rivets at all?? how can that be depicted when the model is forcing these things rather than them being part of the livery??
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby gsagostinho » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:38 am

The new model and the interior textures have now been pushed!
gsagostinho

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:43 am

no response for my post about not wanting rivets or even shiny chrome engine rings?? is there no other way than to completely redo the blend/ac file(s) to remove those undesirable artifacts???
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby gsagostinho » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:05 pm

@wkitty42

Well, I have already addressed this issue myself in the previous discussion so I thought I didn't have to restate anything:

gsagostinho wrote in Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:31 pm:I don't agree at all that riveting should be done in the livery because the normal map has some advantages to it (some reflections look really good, depending on the angle. See: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=28453#p271864 ). This sort of thing would not be possible with a livery only and the wing would simply look bland from such angle.

When you write:

that's *YOUR* c182... what if ""i"" have taken my c182 and reworked the skin to have flush or no rivets at all?? how can that be depicted when the model is forcing these things rather than them being part of the livery??

you are basically telling us that we must develop a feature in a certain way (against what we think best) just because you want it applied in a non standard way in ""your"" c182. Notice that we don't really care for these sort of modifications at all, we are simply developing a plane the best we can to get close to the standard model in real life. You may find RL models with all sort of crazy modifications and honestly I won't move a finger to get them done or even to enable them if they make another feature worse/more difficult to implement/less elegant. So sure, if you owned a RL model you could change all rivets, as well as change the wing lights for purple and pink, but I honestly don't think it's realistic to ask for these things here ;)

Heiko also wrote:

What is he talking about? There are no shiny crome engine rings, and if he don't want rivets he must simply disable the norma/ bumplmap effect via the rendering settings.
gsagostinho

Postby Martien van der P. » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:42 pm

Tested the C182S, and I have to say that the beacon and strobe light animations are awesome even in FG 2.8.0.5. :)

Thanks Heiko and gsagostinho.
Martien van der P.

Callsign: MV-DP
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby Thorsten » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:55 pm

i've fought many times with trying to create new liveries and have always been thwarted but rivet mess where/when it was unwanted as well as chrome in places that it was also unwanted (eg) engine intake rings)... i will also mention that shiny mess when a livery is specifically designed for no shine (eg: flat or matte)... these things have completely prevented me from releasing any of my livery work

Well, we currently don't have support for changing secondary textures (normal, specular,...) at runtime like we can change liveries without hacks. I don't think the solution is to ask modelers to not use these features though. It has been occasionally asked as a feature request, but it seems the priority this is regarded as is low (it certainly is for me).

Personally, I'd prefer a model with normal, specular, grain etc. map with just one livery over a model with multiple liveries. But that's a call to be made by the aircraft developers. They're under no obligation to provide any hooks for you to do what you'd like with the model.

You can always fork the aircraft in question, disable the normal mapping or replace them with your own - but I don't think complaining that aircraft developers use normal maps is helpful here.
Thorsten

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:31 am

gsagostinho wrote in Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:05 pm:Heiko also wrote:

What is he talking about? There are no shiny crome engine rings, and if he don't want rivets he must simply disable the norma/ bumplmap effect via the rendering settings.

the chrome rings comment was about some jets when i've asked others in the past how to remove them... the response about the rivets is (finally!) a response that i can easily understand... i can now use it with other craft to achieve a look that i've been after... thanks, heiko!!
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby gsagostinho » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:21 am

Guys, we are getting close to have a first milestone for this plane. As soon as the other instruments are done, we will ask for a merge into FGAddon.

gsagostinho

Postby tauchergreg » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:20 pm

:D :D :D :D :D
C160 Transall , Twin Otter DHC6, both with small modification
EF2000
ETMN & EDXN under development
tauchergreg

Callsign: OFD001 ; BRT0192
Version: 20xx

Postby f-ojac » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:52 pm

Excellent, yet another VFR great and common plane to fly. Congrats!
f-ojac

Version: GIT

Postby gsagostinho » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:30 am

The cockpit has now all instruments:

gsagostinho

Postby stuart » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:06 pm

That looks fantastic. Another great piece of collaborative work.

I'd be delighted to help merge it to fgaddon. Please get in touch if you need assistance.

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Postby gsagostinho » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:10 pm

Thank you so much, Stuart! As for the merge to FGAddon, I will gladly accept your help :) I will contact you when we are ready with a first milestone, which should happen soon (probably in some few weeks).

Cheers!
Gilberto
gsagostinho

Postby Parnikkapore » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:45 pm

Looks FSX-ic!

(No pun intended! I knew the 172(hawk) on FSX,and those panels and instruments look just like them!)

The scenery and renderer is also superior in Thailand(VT••) FSX scenery standards ;)
There are free alternatives to (almost) every program you encounter. You just have to find them.
Parnikkapore

Callsign: HS-FGS
Version: next

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft