Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

JSBSim Piper J-3 Cub  Topic is solved

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: JSBSim Piper J-3 Cub

Postby wlbragg » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:43 pm

@xen_steda unless you can verify the licensing information of a source, I wouldn't be able to use anything that doesn't explicitly state the licensing.

The three sound files above do appear to meet the licensing requirements. What do you think about their sound? From the limited knowledge and experience of looking at and listening to Cubs online, they sound much more appropriate than what we already have.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby xen_steda » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:42 am

Those have decent parts but lots of noise in the background. They may be fine for some things Im not sure how audio is implemented with 3D software to be honest.

I did see that using Youtube there is a Creative Commons usage filter that may lead to a real winner. I'm currently pawing over the search results to find the best samples and will post my results here soon.

Here are a couple I found that allow Creative Commons reuse...
https://youtu.be/Tzyj2vtvzEA

This second one is possibly the best one yet and should definitely be considered...
https://youtu.be/r-nb4WvJqX8

This third one is much longer there are moments when no one is talking and the engine comes out very clear. This has the same Creative Commons License. Definitely a possible source to skim through.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yT9WN56j9A
xen_steda

Postby wlbragg » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:59 pm

Well we will need a sound guy to implement any new engine sounds. The sounds lego linked to are by far superior to any of the YouTube videos. The sound in the YouTube videos is muffled of really poor quality. I don't think they would make a good candidate.

The problem I have is the code for taking a sound and changing pitch and whatever else needs to be changed to get a idle engine sound to sound like it is at high RPM.

I pushed what I was able to do to the compositor branch https://github.com/wlbragg/J3Cub/tree/compositor

The cranking, startup and idle are in my opinion a big improvement. But I need help with the RPM portion from idle to full power.
wlbragg

Postby wlbragg » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:43 pm

I also push changes to the mesh to clean up the gaps, please review and verify I fixed it. It was not the easiest thing to do, but I think I got it corrected.
wlbragg

Postby xen_steda » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:42 pm

I mean, wow, what you are able to output in a day is really amazing @wlbragg. Thank you! To confirm the gap fixes, yes they all look cleaned up. Just be advised that this -compositor build does not have livery interior fix implemented.

Also, the sounds are a massive improvement, and we would just need like you said, the RPMs, acceleration/deceleration. This is a really large step in the right direction for sure. I have to agree with you on the quality of the sound clips I provided, not that great after all. I should also mention the Cabin Defrost button tooltip still reads "Cabin Heat":

Cabin Defrost tooltip: Cabin Heat.

Another extremely minor "bug" is from within the Livery Menu, the Low Res liveries are not uniformly named Low Res, some are named Lo Res. Super minor stuff obviously.

Excellent work on everything, the audio is really impressive!
xen_steda

Postby wlbragg » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:50 am

Pushed another change to the sound, it's not perfect but getting closer I think, compositor branch only?

Fixed the tooltips as well as the inconsistent livery names.
wlbragg

Postby legoboyvdlp » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:11 pm

That sounds an awful lot better, particularly at low RPM!

To be completely truthful, I think it sounds like a rivet machine at high RPM. If my engine sounded like that I'd be landing ASAP. I'll see what else I can find that might be able to replace it, however it is already much better than the default Lycoming sounds ;)
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO

Postby xen_steda » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:59 pm

Hello, thank you @wlbragg, the interior looks great.

The audio on the -compositor branch sounds excellent on start up. After that, the increase in throttle begins to get a bit weird to my ears. I get this cymbal being played backwards vibe from the higher rpm sounds. It seems like the Cub/Super Cub has more guttural gurgling sounds to it.

I contacted my closest regional airport with hangars to see if there are any Cubs or Super Cubs. The assistant manger was the guy who knew and said there was one J3 Cub hangared. I gave him my contact information to pass along to the Cub owner, maybe I will get lucky and get to make a recording or at least recruit someone to do it and send to me. I told the assistant manager what it was all about and he knew about Flightgear which was nice. Maybe others could try that tactic and we may get lucky.
xen_steda

Postby wlbragg » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:47 pm

According to the limited information I know about the sound. The easiest (maybe not the best) way to do the sound from idle to cruise is to take the "mid range" rpm and use pitch change on it.

We have a decent idle, mid-range, and hi rpm sound, but that is not how it works. The mid range we have is the shortest and least able to be cut to what is needed. I think it needs a longer sample for one.

The pitch change works like so

Code: Select all
<pitch>
    <property>/engines/active-engine/rpm</property>
    <factor>0.0004</factor>
    <min>0.002</min>
    <max>2</max>
    <offset>0.025</offset>
</pitch>

The sound this would be working on is somewhere in the mid-range rpm of what the vehicle is capable of.

Anyone can work on this and spend some time on it. All you do is take a section of mid-range sound (that is the key and the tricky part) and apply this pitch change (adjust if needed).

Knowing a little math is helpful.

It's in the file J3Cub/J3Cub-sound.xml
Last edited by wlbragg on Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wlbragg

Postby wlbragg » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:58 pm

If my engine sounded like that I'd be landing ASAP

I think if I had to listen to the clanking and vibrating of the cowling you hear at low rpm I'd be leery to increase the throttle at all. But yeah, it definitely sounds like it could use some better lubricant, ha!
wlbragg

Postby xen_steda » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:11 pm

Hello, I have been looking online and cannot find a solid answer, does the J-3 Cub or the Super Cub have any type of Trim Controls like an elevator trim tab?

I think the buttons for using trim, the Home and End buttons still act as a trim tab for the Cub but I can't confirm because there doesn't seem to be any graphical trim tab for either variant (or I can't find it at least). Does anyone know if it is does do anything? Thanks.
xen_steda

Postby wlbragg » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:44 pm

There is a trim knob on the left side of the aircraft in both the Cub and Super Cub. Hard to see it if you are displaying a human model.
wlbragg

Postby xen_steda » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:24 pm

Ok thanks I thought I had seen one before.
xen_steda

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:50 pm

can you not hit H and turn on the default HUD to see the controls there? ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby D-ECHO » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:33 pm

Hey wlbragg,
just wanted to ask whether it's okay for you if I use some of the sounds from the j3 for the Cessna 140, it sounds at least more or less similar :)

Regards
D-ECHO
D-ECHO

Pronouns: Bea (she/her)

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft